• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Wales Club

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
It's Parcel Force buddy. May try and ring them tomorrow. They didn't leave a card today though, otherwise I could just tell them I'd pick it up. Useless!

--
Jeff
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah hopefully they'll keep it for you hermes are crap!
Let us know how if you get out on the weekend, I'm going down port eynon but won't be able to get in but should get a good update on the viz!

Picked my gear up this morning. Went down blue pool but not much in the way of vis so left the gun in the car. Booooo!

--
Jeff

How's all your gear?

Yeah viz seemed worse this weekend than last and it's looking like it's going to get worse! Love Blue pool never thought to take my gear down, there's a few real deep pools at Port eynon point but they are always cloudy and can't see anything in them!

It's good thanks pal. Yet to shoot the gun though, but meant to be going down Oxwich on Saturday so maybe we'll get lucky at some point this summer! Ha.

There were a few boats fishing out in the bay, and a guy casting off the rocks. Just took the GoPro out in the end, but only saw a shed load of starfish and I don't think they're that tasty...

--
Jeff
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wicked! Haha same here new gun but still yet to fire it! Yeah that should be good, I went in march but couldnt see my hands, but I've seen a few videos and heard of people diving the wreck at low tide, and they bring up massive red eating crabs and lobster, just have to watch the congers don't get you!

That's the one thing I want, a big fat lobster for the BBQ. Didn't find anything last summer, but gonna try a bit harder this year! Ha.

--
Jeff

Went to Rhosilli today, couldn't see much further than 2 foot. Still haven't taken the gun out...

--
Jeff

Cheers for the update, weathers looking like it might improve for next weekend, I might take a trip down to worms head or mewslade with my gear if the viz clears up!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Get out around Worms Head, I reckon there must be a few sheltered spots worth a look in. Had the cast off yet?

--
Jeff

Yeah I've heard of a few people spearfishing on the worm, and every one I've spoken to have said that it's amazing and then seals turn up and wont leave you alone and just follow you haha! Yeah had it off today so it's all good, really hoping for some good weather this weekend now!!

Magic seaweed says it's gonna be lovely, just need the swell to calm down a bit. I've got Thursday and Friday off this week, so coming home Wednesday night and hoping to get out a few times. Will let you know if we are heading down.

--
Jeff

Yeah I've been keeping a close eye on it! Alright nice one, I'm hoping to head down Friday afternoon so may try my luck Friday night!

Just checking the tides, they're on the push this weekend so looking at 10m! Hopefully it'll stay flat, any little wind with those tides will make the vis crap :(

Cheers for the swift reply, Ash.

You're probably right RE the visibility, but I went snorkelling in Mexico and it's good fun so may get one just to have a nose about under water.

On the cliff jumping front, I'm not going mental, just something to do in the summer. Deffo need to check the tides etc first, I don't fancy ending up getting the sea king out.

This is the video I was watching earlier:

And odd question, but if you're about in Port Eynon, then maybe you know Thew? He's a good friend of mine, went down Abereiddy with him last year to check out blue lagoon, just fancy finding something nearer to home.

--
Jeff

Just had a couple of PM's from Spearos who don't post on the site any longer, as I don't. This changed my mind.

Kevin, please don't copy any part of that vid. From the undersize Bass and lobster to actually shooting a Dogfish....beggars belief.
Then he leaves the water with a loaded speargun.

What hope have we got.

Last edited:
Hi guys

Had the PM too, happy to remove the link but I can't seem to edit any of my posts? Tried from the Tapatalk app, and logged in via a browser, but I just can't see an edit option. If a mod wants to remove the link, then great. If there is a way to do it, then let me know.

Wasn't trying to cause any aggro, I just didn't realise it contained so many no-nos. As per my previous posts in the thread, I have no experience of spear fishing, but would like to get in to it. Obviously I get the loaded gun thing, but hadn't really paid attention to the size of the fish etc. Apologies if it caused offense.

Hi guys

Had the PM too, happy to remove the link but I can't seem to edit any of my posts? Tried from the Tapatalk app, and logged in via a browser, but I just can't see an edit option. If a mod wants to remove the link, then great. If there is a way to do it, then let me know.

Wasn't trying to cause any aggro, I just didn't realise it contained so many no-nos. As per my previous posts in the thread, I have no experience of spear fishing, but would like to get in to it. Obviously I get the loaded gun thing, but hadn't really paid attention to the size of the fish etc. Apologies if it caused offense.

Not your fault, you had no idea as you said. Staggers me that the experienced on here said nothing, and one who is experienced, pointed out on YT that it must have been a great 'feast'. Beyond comprehension.

Robbo66 we obviously haven't got much hope, if experienced people like yourselves, who have before expressed your dis-interest in meeting up with inexperienced spearos such as myself? People have to start somewhere? Can't see much wrong with the lobster, looks a decent size, not sure the hype around the dog fish as they are everywhere down the Gower and I know of people keeping them for the pot.

Robbo66 we obviously haven't got much hope, if experienced people like yourselves, who have before expressed your dis-interest in meeting up with inexperienced spearos such as myself? People have to start somewhere? Can't see much wrong with the lobster, looks a decent size, not sure the hype around the dog fish as they are everywhere down the Gower and I know of people keeping them for the pot.

There's so much wrong with the above, at a loss where to start. I've not expressed a 'disinterest' just rather not meet up with any gunslingers who back or support competitions. I suggest you read the site and familiarise yourself with the ethics and minimum size catches.....unless you yourself are 'disinterested'.

Reactions: ben
Ashbish
I don't really think you can blame experienced participant of this pursuit for the failings and mistakes of newbies. We've all been beginners in our time and learned the hard way since there really is no substitute for experience or shortcut to success in any hunting or foraging pastime.

Personally I didn't have or want anyone to mentor me and I still didn't make a mistake and take an undersized lobster.

In my opinion ignorance and inexperience is no excuse for not knowing the rules and laws. It takes 5 minutes to make a few marks on the barrel of your gun to measure your lobster or crab against.
Lobster is measured along length of carapace from back of eye socket to the end of the carapace. Minimum size is 87mm

Fish are a different matter but the rule of thumb is that if you are in any doubt whatsoever about the species you're intending to shoot or the size of it, you simply don't shoot! It really is that easy!

Robs ref to dogfish- simply refers to people shooting them! Why bother traumatising them with a spear when you can simply pick them up and put them in your bag! Although a bugger to skin, they are numerous and tasty ( as scampi ) - perhaps we should all take the occasional one in preference to a bass!

There are lots of reasons people don't wish to buddy up. For some it's the wish to not give away secret spots. For me, I like the solitary aspect of the sport, thats why I like it - it's a total departure/ release from everyday life. Also, I don't want to have to worry about my buddy or more to the point, worry about not having seen him for a length of time and fearing the worst!

Why I don't offer to take out the newbies ..... Well, most of us have already got people we dive with occasionally and with so few good days each year I'd be loathed to give up the few days a year I can selfishly and single-mindedly fish. I compromise my fishing already to take the occasional friend, my girlfriend and my brother - the rest of the short season is for me !

I can't offer much more advice really. Spend your time researching your fish, the spearfishing rules, the fishery rules and size limits ( on defra website). Study charts, tides and local beaches and slowly and methodically build up your portfolio of sites you can fish safely with or without a buddy. Do these things and I a few years you'll be a successful spear fisherman and confident in the water.

Good luck .

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT