• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South & West Wales

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I'm heading over to newgale end of October for the weekend, depending on the conditions being stable for a couple of days prior, what would be the better areas to head to ?

Bracelet Bay, Mumbles today. Vis not great. About 3mtrs. Lovely morning. Saw some big mullet and fry fish in the kelp but nothing else.

In for an hour. Probably the last dive of the year. Not the best year for spearfishing - too much constant Atlantic swell.

Here's to a better 2017!

bracelet 6-11-16.jpg

Reactions: Mr. X and ashbish
Looks stunning! 2016 has been a load of crap for me, fingers crossed for a better 2017!
Last weekend paddled on kayak out from North end of Newgale beach along base of cliffs to Dinas Fach.
Sheltered from Sw winds swell was calm and vis looked very good with many kelp forests and many rock features and arches exposed at low tide. It all looked very promising terrain. I had a quick dive off the beach to the east of Dinah Fach but only small fish seen. With time running out we headed back to the shore at Newgale
Following day with increased swell we headed south to Nolton Haven, the most promising spot was Ricketts Head, which at low tide on the slack with endless rocks and kelp forests looked a dream spot.
All in all marks to keep in mind for my next trip up.

I keep meaning to go out but its still a little chilly, ive started rod fishing and have had 2 small bass both nights i went out! But only about 1/2 lb each so went back, i cant wait to get my first dive in, lets hope we have some luck with vis this year

Reactions: mogsychief
Hello - has anyone here done any spearfishing around Fishguard in Pembrokeshire?

Curious about:
(1) currents and tides - any danger spots?
(2) any objective hazards
(3) size and catch limits and any other regulations
(4) typical water visibility and temperature
(5) types of fish and crustaceans in the area

Any tips gratefully received!

Hello - has anyone here done any spearfishing around Fishguard in Pembrokeshire?

Curious about:
(1) currents and tides - any danger spots?
(2) any objective hazards
(3) size and catch limits and any other regulations
(4) typical water visibility and temperature
(5) types of fish and crustaceans in the area

Any tips gratefully received!
I've never seen any good viz along the coast north of St David's but haven't been in around Fishguard. St Brides bay can have good viz with pollack, bass, flounder and wrasse. Plenty of spider crab early summer along with lobster.

I've never seen any good viz along the coast north of St David's but haven't been in around Fishguard. St Brides bay can have good viz with pollack, bass, flounder and wrasse. Plenty of spider crab early summer along with lobster.
Also can't take any bass before 1st July and then only one per person per day thereafter. There's a conservation zone around Skomer so don't go in around there e. g. St Martins Haven

Reactions: Forager17
Went for a dive on tuesday at st brides, vis was reasonable probs 3 metres saw flounder on way out but was too small i think the spiders are slowly heading in a saw around 4 nice ones, few small pollack, got cold after the 2 hour mark haha! if you go out left handed the water is fairly dirty above the kelp and struggled to see anything so kept to the right. Anyone else been out?

Reactions: mogsychief
Anybody been out around mumbles this year? Iv just got my gear so will be looking to get out soon any spots around the mumbles / gower area that would suit a beginner?

Oxwich , Horton , Caswell, Langland and Bracelet Bay all OK. Need a few weeks of very settled weather though or else the visibility is too poor.

Oxwich , Horton , Caswell, Langland and Bracelet Bay all OK. Need a few weeks of very settled weather though or else the visibility is too poor.
Do you dive that area mate? Was looking to go down there next weekend for a look how do u think the viz will be then? I was down oxwich bay couple of weeks ago just for a walk and the viz looked really poor would the viz be better further out past the waves

Yes, I dive Gower when it's settled enough. I dive more around Pembroke where the water quality is better though. Maybe a bit better next weekend as it's quite settled this week but it can take a bit longer to clear after the winter. If the viz is poor in the shallower water it's usually not good further out either.

Dived to the right out of St Brides haven today. Lovely conditions. Flat calm and viz in excess of 5mtrs in places. Not much in the way of fish though. Loads of spider crabs, sandeels, launce, bait fish and some small pollack. Didn't see one wrasse or flatty! Scuba guys said they saw some nice size pollack to the left out of the haven at about 8mtrs.

Reactions: Forager17
Hi everyone - will be in Pembrokeshire this weekend. How's the general visibility? Hopefully somewhat calm waters? With thanks for any tips and info in advance!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT