• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South & West Wales

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jaymz

Apr 10, 2012
Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New year. Lets have a nice healthy South and West Wales thread this year eh? With me hopefully not working away too much this year due to educational ties in Uni (back to school for me) I can get out down West Wales a bit more where the water is a lot clearer.

Off to Thailand with Freedive UK in a few weeks to spearfish for a few days so hopefully catch some nice Barracuda and Spanish Mackerel to kick-start the year! Also been looking into Octopush... has anyone had a go at this? Looks good for training in the water and laugh too!

I know a few people in work play that octopush in Pyle, I've looked into it just a bit of a trek for me! I can't wait to get down west once the weather calms down a bit!

Reactions: mogsychief
Sounds like good news. If they are farming oysters it will probably have spill-over benefit for the surrounding area.

Interesting website. Apparently you can't take oysters from that area:
"
Several Orders
Once you are given a Several Order you become the legal owner of the shellfish species covered by the order within a specified area. You then have the exclusive right to:

• take the named shellfish species from the specified area
  • create and maintain shellfish beds
  • collect, move or deposit shellfish within the specified area
It is an offence for anyone else to disturb or injure the shellfish - or to interfere with the shellfish beds or the fishery itself - without authorisation from the order holder.

Several Orders normally place restrictions on general fishing practices in the area to prevent damage to the named species. They may also place conditions and restrictions on the order holder, for example, by specifying the shellfish harvesting methods that may be used."
More on "Several Orders" here: https://www.gov.uk/shellfisheries-several-orders-and-regulating-orders#several-orders-and-regulating-orders

BTW Any news on the proposed Swansea tidal power generation project?

Last edited:
...BTW Any news on the proposed Swansea tidal power generation project?
Looks like it took a step forward yesterday: "Budget 2015: Swansea Bay tidal lagoon became much more likely today - Wales Online"
_81724444_fe1ee29d-dd7f-4d1a-823d-6fa3de70efba.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-31927779
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/budget-2015-swansea-bay-tidal-8867516
lagoon.jpg

Reactions: ashbish
I hope it goes ahead to be honest. I work for one of the biggest Electrical Engineering firms in the UK who are based in Swansea, so hopefully a bit of work will come off installing the turbines. Also, be great for rod fishing :D

Picture of the fish me and Ian (freediveUK) had in Thailand a few weeks back. Mines a Barracuda, Ian had a Milk Fish. Monstrous fight on the milk fish, was pulling him everywhere!!!

Attachments

• Photo 10-03-2015 12 09 51.jpg
    Photo 10-03-2015 12 09 51.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 376
Looking to go west this weekend, anyone have any idea of viz around the pembroke area?

Hey everyone

Been ages since I've logged in, but thought I'd have a nose and see what's been going on.

Haven't been in the sea this year, but went fishing on the gower last weekend. Not even a nibble!

Have found someone who works in Welsh Government (working on their site in Cardiff at the moment) who has a lovely cottage down in Abereiddi, so hoping to book that for a long weekend in June or July. Can pass on the details if anyone fancies a look at it, sleeps 6 and is practically on the beach. Tidy rates too.

Anyways, still a bit cold for me as I've only got a summer suit, but hoping to have a dip soon enough.

Hope everyone is well and all that jazz, and enjoys some good catches this year!

--
Jeff
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooooooo lads lads lads!!! Me and Ashbish getting in the water down West Wales this weekend. Fingers crossed for some decent fish eh!?

Reactions: mogsychief
Hope you have a good one lads! Whereabouts are you going?

--
Jeff

Depends on the weather on the day really Jeff, we'll just head down and drive around looking for the best conditions.

Sounds good chaps, hope you have some luck.

I had a little explore down this way and saw some fish/crabs last summer but still an absolute newbie so was just having a swim about with the snorkelling gear.

Dropped Pin
near Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire SA72 6DY
http://goo.gl/maps/0lNHA

--
Jeff

Looking to go west this weekend, anyone have any idea of viz around the pembroke area?
South Pembs not good too much swell above 3ft churning things up in shore. South side of St Brides Bay may be OK as should be a bit more sheltered from the primary swell. I was in there about 2-3 weeks ago and had aprox 3mtr vis. No big fish but lots of good sized bait fish

Cheers mogsychief! Yeah looking at some webcams and the bouy now and it's not looking great, don't want to drive 2 and a half hours and then have no viz!

Did you guys go in the end? Any luck?

Just booked that cottage in Abereiddi for the last weekend in June. Crossing my fingers the weather will be alright!

--
Jeff

Nope, the weather picked up on the Friday night so we thought we'd leave it until a nicer weekend!
Think I'll get in this weekend down the gower even if it's awful, need to get some time in the water as I'm doing my 3* course next month! Just wish we had some decent viz!

Bugger! Weather doesn't look great for the weekend either fella. It does my head in when it's lovely all week and then crap on the weekend too! Bah humbug.

--
Jeff

Has anyone tried fishing around dale / sandy haven or Angle? Just woundering whether its worth trying to fish around the haven?

Haven't myself, hoping to head that way much more this year! Do you live around that area?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT