• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South & West Wales

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Chav tat-check
Vain Gym Bunny-check
No snorkel - check
Surf rider shorts-check

On a more positive note, in yesterday and viz biblical.

Reactions: mogsychief
Cheers for all the updates chaps. Been away on hols but back now and keen to get in. Hope we get some more tidy weather, your reports sound excellent [emoji106]

--
Jeff
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up a kayak at weekend, took it out today to get used to it. South Pembs. Excellent vis 5m+. Missed a few good sized Pollock. Nice and sheltered from strong northerly wind, but paddling back on final stretch in to tide and wind was quite hard work.

Still no bass seen but I wasn't in the water that much, just adjusting things etc.

Nice! Are you using an anchor to keep it still or are you keeping attached to you or your gun?

Attached gun to kayak. I will rig a line for tying off to kelp when there is more swell. Ive got 20-30m line but shortend that in to keep kayak away from rocks a few times today. Great access to more of the coast.

Nice! I've found a small 2kg anchor works for me on a divers reel. Tend to stay within 25m of it and then move on if need be. I have had a few boats come and have a look why there's no one sitting on it mind, even with a divers flag showing!

Reactions: Radman
Nice! I've found a small 2kg anchor works for me on a divers reel. Tend to stay within 25m of it and then move on if need be. I have had a few boats come and have a look why there's no one sitting on it mind, even with a divers flag showing!

I was just using a length of strand blue polyprop rope as a leash. Wonder if it scares fish off. Wouldnt be a problem if i tied the kayak off.

Good kayak dive this morning. Crystal vis. Still no bass seen.

Attachments

• 20150610_153347.jpg
    20150610_153347.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 20150610_102615.jpg
    20150610_102615.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 247
Vis good around Angle and Fresh West (5+ mtrs) today. Winds creating chop around south Pembs but vis still looked good from the coastal path. No big fish seen, not even Wrasse this week! Just loads of bait fish and sand eels. If the swell stays down like this the vis should be much better this summer compared to last. We just need higher water temp to bring the fish in.

Got a bit windy around lunchtime. I was thinking a south pembs spot may have been better with todays NE'ly. I bet its good around north of st brides bay at the moment. Still no bass seen out and about. Plenty up the cleddau though. As you say water needs to warm up a bit yet i think. I covered alot of ground today.

Swansea Bay's £1bn tidal lagoon given go-ahead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-33053003

Sounds like v. good news to me, however, the BBC Radio news report I heard said Anglers are objecting to it - is that true, the BBC gave no further information to back that claim? Like many spearos, I'm an angler as well & I expect it to provide more opportunities & options.

Swansea is quite the happening place: pre-release sewage treatment for Swansea bay & harbour re-development (both old news now), new Oyster farm approved, new £0.5billion science & technology University campus under construction & now £1billion tidal lagoon. Looking good :)

St Brides had too much wind northerly wind chop today so didn't go in there but vis still looked good looking down into the water. Went in around south Pembs. Vis not as good at about 3-4 mtrs. Saw my first bass of the season although they were small, along with smallish pollock and dog fish. Not as many spider crabs about as expected. Loads and loads of sand eel of different sizes though.

Reactions: Radman
Dived between newgale and solva tonight. Few schoolie bass about but none big enough. Patchy vis. Good in places and a bit bloomy in others.

In at St Brides yesterday afternoon. Some north westerly wind chop and 1-2ft swell. Vis was changeable - anything from 2mtrs up to about 8mtrs. Huge amounts of fry fish, sandeels of all sizes and spider crab (small females mainly). Pollock and wrasse of varying sizes. Nothing huge but got a pollock big enough for a dinner plate! Water still not as warm as expected. I was in for about 100mins before giving in to the cold.

In at St Brides yesterday afternoon. Some north westerly wind chop and 1-2ft swell. Vis was changeable - anything from 2mtrs up to about 8mtrs. Huge amounts of fry fish, sandeels of all sizes and spider crab (small females mainly). Pollock and wrasse of varying sizes. Nothing huge but got a pollock big enough for a dinner plate! Water still not as warm as expected. I was in for about 100mins before giving in to the cold.

i went out on my kayak fishing for mackeral at st brides yesterday evening, until dark. had a few. put some down for bait but only pulled in dogfish. vis looked excellent over the sand but not so good over the reef. just as i was heading in i spoke to a chap who was headed off fishing and he said he had spoken to a spearfisherman who had just left, i guess that must have been you.

i went out on my kayak fishing for mackeral at st brides yesterday evening, until dark. had a few. put some down for bait but only pulled in dogfish. vis looked excellent over the sand but not so good over the reef. just as i was heading in i spoke to a chap who was headed off fishing and he said he had spoken to a spearfisherman who had just left, i guess that must have been you.
Yes, that was probably me. He was putting out crab baskets of a kayak and asking if there were any spider crabs about

St brides bay. Caught on the kayak so not speared, sorry about that. Lovely fish though. Lost a bigger one. Choppy, bit of swell and windy vis still looked to be decent though.

Attachments

• 20150621_210852.jpg
    20150621_210852.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 236
Here's mine and my mates first catch of the year from last weekend on the Gower. Caught in kelp at dead low in 5ft of water, missed two bigger ones :( Top was 2.5lb and bottem was 4lb! Will have to take a photo next to my fins next time as the photo doesn't do them justice. Viz was 3-4m, hoping to get in again this weekend as the tides are looking good.

Attachments

• IMG-20150614-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20150614-WA0002.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 226
Here's mine and my mates first catch of the year from last weekend on the Gower. Caught in kelp at dead low in 5ft of water, missed two bigger ones :( Top was 2.5lb and bottem was 4lb! Will have to take a photo next to my fins next time as the photo doesn't do them justice. Viz was 3-4m, hoping to get in again this weekend as the tides are looking good.
Nice fish ashbish! I had a look at the water last night from the coastal path between limeslade and langland and the vis looked poor. There was a bit of swell moving things around though. Are there any parts of Gower where the vis tends to be better?

Reactions: ashbish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT