• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South & West Wales

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi everyone - will be in Pembrokeshire this weekend. How's the general visibility? Hopefully somewhat calm waters? With thanks for any tips and info in advance!

Its starting to clear up but really mixed patches. This week i have seen crystal clear water over sand in st brides bay, and 0m green soup over sand in south pembs. conditions look good for it all to improve over these few days though so i should think you will have a good trip.

Reactions: Forager17
Thanks, Radman - much appreciated! We won't be doing any spearfishing as waiting for equipment - but hope to forage and explore a bit.

Hi all.
My name is George.
Moved to UK a year ago from Cyprus.
Living near abergavenny now.
Went to the oxwich this weekend and I realised how much I miss spearfishing and that I want to try and spearfish out here... In the Gower Swansea area...
Tried to contact the Welsh spearfishing club, on an email I found on the BSA website but the email inbox is dead...
Can anyone give me any info on any clubs around the Gower area that I can get in touch with to meet people to get more info ?

Thanks
George

Anyone got any viz reports for Pembroke e.g. St Brides bay area?

Not that this is any help but there was 'some' viz on the gower yesterday and today! Still a lot of snotty algae in the water but I'm pretty sure Pembroke will be looking tropical if the gowers not too bad!

Thanks ashbish. I thought there may be some algae bloom about this time of year and with all this good weather. Any fish about in Gower? I'm hoping to go to Pembroke in the next few days before the swell picks up again. Will report back

Thanks ashbish. I thought there may be some algae bloom about this time of year and with all this good weather. Any fish about in Gower? I'm hoping to go to Pembroke in the next few days before the swell picks up again. Will report back

Viz in the shallows where I normally fish wasn't great, saw a nice bass about 3/4lb, left him go obviously, bugger would have been too quick for me anyway! As I was reloading from a shot at a mullet, a doggy about 5lb and well over a metre long practically swam between my legs! Other than that, lots of small pollock and wrasse and thousands of jelly fish! Even tried on feathers after the tide changed for about 3 hours and not even a single mackerel!

Reactions: mogsychief
St Brides today before the swell picks up again this weekend. Viz over shallower sand not good but improved further out and over the reef to over 5 mtrs viz. Some plankton still showing in parts. Millions of sandeels / baitfish, some spider crabs and lots of pollock but not many over 1/2 lbs. No fish for tea!:(

St Brides today before the swell picks up again this weekend. Viz over shallower sand not good but improved further out and over the reef to over 5 mtrs viz. Some plankton still showing in parts. Millions of sandeels / baitfish, some spider crabs and lots of pollock but not many over 1/2 lbs. No fish for tea!:(
Heading to Pembrokeshire around Fishguard area. Good to know there may be some swell this weekend and maybe more algae etc.

Has anyone done any foraging at Solva? Checked out the harbour last month. If one, say, kayaked out to one of the inlets, is it any good there? Or Caerfai Bay?

Took kayak out from st brides this morning. Vis as good as it gets, gin clear. Hundreds of schoolie bass about. A few bigger ones also.

Took kayak out from st brides this morning. Vis as good as it gets, gin clear. Hundreds of schoolie bass about. A few bigger ones also.
Did you find them heading right out of the Haven? In my experience it tends to be pollock to the left and bass to the right with fatties in the middle when the tide'a coming in

Yep headed north today. Was high tide and not a breath of wind. Was able to paddle along looking down into water and jump in when i saw them. Lucky for them its not open season yet. Saw shoals of what seemed like hundreds of schoolies. Quite a few good sized spider crabs in the holes and gullies, huge bait fish shoals and lots of pollock. Not been in for ages so wasnt able to dive too deep-ears not quite right. A lovely dive.

Kayak dive north of St Brides today. Hundreds of Bass, few big pollock. Remembered gopro so will put a short vid together. Vis not as good as yesterday but still very good, 5m or so, probably more.

Vis is starting to reduce a bit. Rain, big tides and plankton bloom. Had a quick dive this morning. Struggling to equalised so couldnt get down to the better fish (and scallops), can just about see them on this vid.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT