• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing 101

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Just talked to the guys at www.spearfishinggear.com they should have it by the end of the week.

"Spearfishing South African Style!!"

Join spearfishing guide GTB as he leaves the home court advantage and takes an expedition to South Africa. Watch as Miles is dragged by a huge dogtooth through the blue. Witness and learn the techniques used by South African freedivers as they hunt the pelagic species of this beautifull area...

Now all I need to do is call up some sponsors and get it going.

Hey Miles, Ill give you the camera for the "big shark" footage. Everytime I have to get that kind of shot the edit guy has a problem trying to edit out the big brown cloud around my waist.

Thanks for the idea. Keep em comming!

GTB :wave

GTB,

Thanks for the reply regarding the lajolla freediver opinion. No worrys here! It isn't very often I get to vent like that. Being a bit of a loud mouth myself, I'm usually on the receiveing end of that scenario.

My wife and I like to spend a long weekend at Bahia Gonzaga over the Memorial Day holiday in May. It's been a few years (about 6) since we have been able to go, due to kids in school, running a business, etc. We are hoping to make that trip again next year and I am assuming that things haven't changed too much in the area, but if so, please let me know. We always stayed at Rancho Grande campground then launch our boat out of Alfonsina's or Papa Fernandez' for fishing and diving around Isla Willard and the Encantada chain. Are the roads any better maintained between Puertecitos and Gonzaga. I am thinking it may be a better idea to use your expertise and leave my own boat home. I'm fully equipped with Riffe guns and other misc. gear. I can hunt effectively down the water column to 60'. Clear, calm conditions are nice but not necessary. Give me some options to ponder. Thanks!

Agua Fina

PS: I just noticed that LaJolla Freediver backed off his original opinion as of a couple days ago. Shows character!!

LaJolla,

Thanks for the about face regarding your "spearfishing 101" opinion! I could very well have read more into it than you meant. I have to admit to having a little fun venting on you. Don't stop putting your opinions out there. Obviously, you can take the flak and keep an open mind. If all else fails...blame it on nitrogen narcosis.

Agua Fina

Aquafina,

As you know you cant go wrong with a trip to Gonzaga. Nothing much has changed down here. You can imagine the lightning fast progress down here. The road from Puertecitos to Gonzaga was paved last year 03. From that time on there have been huge Ore trucks hauling day and night to Ensenada and two Baja 1000 races. Needless to say the road conditions from about 30 miles past San Felipe is pretty bad. Make sure you bring a spare(or two) and VHF radio just in case something goes wrong.

Let me know when you are going this year and I will try to work out a "deeper blue" hookup deal. The best advice for that area is to go when the tide is slack. Check out www.sanfelipe.com.mx and check the tide charts for may. Plan your trip during the dead tide and the vis will be alot better. Also you have a better chance of avoiding wind. If you are going to bring your own boat just make sure you have a good rescue/survival kit on board in case you get hit by the wind and have to "camp out" on the islands for a few days. Always bring extra water on your boat. I would be happy to give you directions to some of my favorite spots. I think it would be great to dive with some guys from the forum so let me know when you are heading out and Ill try and hook up with you. My boat is already set up for island expeditions and Ive got a good system and plan for the tides etc.

After you check the tide charts you will see what I mean on the tides. On a big swing they can change as much as 20+ vertical feet, in a 12 hr period. Needless to say it can cause...uh...well, currents.

I once saw a heavy receding tide pouring over a very shallow reef flowing to the south hit a north bound wind swell. At the point where the two bodies of water collided there were 12 ft snaking waves that would run down the length of the reef like a whip. The sight scared the s#$t out of me and I stay away from that spot even when the tide is slack.

The spot is the shallow reef that extends off of the south side of the big island of Salvatierra. The reef goes from the south point of the island and heads east towards shore. It is almost always under water by at least a couple of feet and you can never spot it untill your on it. So far I have found no maps to help me with this area. I have had to learn from the local fishermen.

I am heading down on friday to shoot a triggerfish and make a taco.

Ill post another report on the area for ya when I get back on monday. Then I got to get ready to leave on the 7th again.

Still tryin to get over the "little plane" thing...

GTB

little planes are FUN!!!! come up here where the little single engine super cub has Ski's instead of wheels and lands on the snow :D

FUN

Hey everyone, I just got the Gone to Baja video on ebay. If you want to check it out go to ebay and search spearfishing or gone to baja and you should find it. there were only 2 left when I got mine, but I think they put up another bigger set of videos today.

Check it out.

-- JP

Amphibious,

The thought of getting off of the ground in a small plane is bad enough. Now you want me to strap skis on the wheels? That seems like it would affect the brakes a little? I have never been to Canada. What kind of fish do you guys shoot up there?

How about fly the plane to a regular dirt runway and then take a truck? Arent there Orcas that hang off of the coast? I wonder what swimming with an Orca would be like.

Congrats Trezero, I hope you like it!

Well the clock is ticking. This little plane thing is gonna be for real. The pilot called me and told me to make sure that I weighed all of my stuff. He has a special window in the plane that slides open to stick a camera out.

I think Im gonna get some good footage on this one...

GTB

gonetobaja said:
The thought of getting off of the ground in a small plane is bad enough. Now you want me to strap skis on the wheels? That seems like it would affect the brakes a little?

Brakes?
Erik Y.

Whada ya mean, Brakes?

Are you trying to tell me that the little planes dont have brakes? Oh man, I had almost gotten my guts together and now you gotta tell me no brakes?

If the spearfishing in La Paz wasnt so good I wouldnt even be thinking about this...

Ill just have to take my pre flight medication :friday :duh :blackeye

GTB
(eyes closed) ARE WE ON THE GROUND YET??!!!

gonetobaja said:
I have never been to Canada. What kind of fish do you guys shoot up there?

In the salt we have Ling Cod, Halibut, Flounder, Rockfish, Cabazon. in the fresh we have Burbot, Carp and Squawfish.

our ling Cod and halibut are very deep and make the ones found in you neck of the woods look like fry :) burbot are fun too - they are found in the deepest, darkest, coldest parts of freshwater lakes. shooting them is easy, getting down and finding them... thats the tricky part :D

We also have some big freshwater Northern Pike: up to 18 kilos! I've never shot one that big, but anglers manage to get them sometimes.
When winter starts coming, the lakes cool down at the surface and the Burbot come into the shallows. A little easier to find.
Perch up to 1 kilo are abundant in the shallows, and the smaller Pike will come around stalking the perch too....thwak!
Trout and lake Whitefish are good eating too.
Willer, you gotta come to Cold Lake this summer bro.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Last edited:
Erik said:
Willer, you gotta come to Cold Lake this summer bro.

they reconnect my ACL in febuarry - not sure how long it will be before I can push a fin - but as soon as I can expect company :D

I want to hunt a Big Northern Pike in Canada!

What time of year is the water the warmest?

What is the vis in the lakes?
Summer will be here sooner than we know!

Do you have to take a little plane with skis on it to get to big northern pike?

How does Pike taste?

GTB

You can shoot pike??????? Wow! I love pike. Best eatin' fish in fresh water (except for maybe char) Fun to catch and you can shoot them? Hmmmm, this I gotta try!

And I want a copy of the DVD, too.

Oldsarge,

I dont think we can shoot them here in the USA but Canada may be different. I have never eaten pike before but I hear it is pretty good stuff. Thats another Idea for a DVD Im gonna put on My board.

"Expedition North"
Hunt for the Giant Pike!

I still have no idea where to go though...

GTB

"Hola Senior, Tienes los pike grande en este lago?"

Hmmmm, we could take a check on the states surrounding the Great Lakes. Some of them allow spearing through the ice during the winter. How much different can that be to spearing them in person during the summer? And if spearfishing is legal in Alberta, have I got the lake for you!

I think the Unofficial Canadain National Spearfishing Team (anyone who shows up with beer and a wetsuit) could be talked into helping you make a film :D

the good beer, not that american piss-water. :)

Shooting Pike is not legal in Alberta, but there are 100's of remote lakes here and 3 spearos in the province. And that's all I'll say about that.
However, we have half of Cold Lake in our Province of Alberta- the other half is in Sakatchewan, where a spearo can take the same as any angler. Buy a Sakatchewan license and you can take Pike, Trout, etc, even diving from our side of the lake and presto: Bigass Freshwater Barracuda :)
The vis in this lake can be over 10 metres and may get better. I've only dove one weekend there and it was awesome. A 5mm suit is a necessity. We were doing 2X 3 hour sessions in water that was 18C at the surface.
Pike is great tasting fish. Mostly I get around 5lb Pike. My friend got a 10 lb Pike this last season too, it's posted here somewhere.
Cold lake is 2.5 hours from Edmonton, my home.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Get a Sakachewan licence and go to Cold Lake. From there we shoot pike.

And If I bring a 12 pack I can be on the Canadian Spearfishing Team(for a day?).

Have you guys ever tried Negra Modelo?

Sounds like a good trip for July or August.

"Bring some beer and join the Canadian Spearfishing Team as they hunt for the toothy freshwater barracuda the Northern Pike. Watch as a professional Baja spearfishing guide freezez his nuts off and goes hypothermic in under 4 min and has to be resuced by the members of the Canadian Team..."

30ft vis coldwater pike hunting!! Im gonna start planning.

GTB

PS Im really gonna come up there.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT