• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing 101

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Bring a hand mirror and I'll show you a little trick with the pike :D If I can push fins by that time and you can make it to Prince George we could car pool it out - great way to see the country and stay out of the little planes, I have to drive through Banff & Jasper national parks to get to Edmonton - one helluva drive...

of course this is all on the assumption that Erik wants to put up with us as I have no idea where cold lake is :D

Pike isn't too delicious.. Normally its grinded up and made into fishballs. Pike has lots of little bones that are very difficult to get out of the meat. I would not be too eager to eat pike. Perch is much better.
Its leagal to spear pike here( Finland ). I've never shot one and I never have actively tried to find any. They can grow very big as Erik mentioned.

Tuomo

my dear boy - you just need to learn how to cook them!! Pike fishcakes done in moose fat on the skillet are fantastic!!! just don;t sleep in the same tent as anyone you want to remain friends with.... ;)

Fish thats been grinded up tastes pretty much the same, no matter what fish it is. ;)
Same thing goes with deepfrying.
Maybe I'll try to shoot one next summer and try to make it taste good. Have to find some recipes for that purpose then.

Tuomo

well i disagee with both your statements, every fish tastes a little different and what oil/greese/lard you use will reflect in the taste :D

and I know you have moose in Finland, so you should be able to get some moose greese to try ;) will see if I can dig up a recipie :D

Never heard of anyone using moose grease here. I dont know anyone who hunts, so it very well may be that it can be used for that as well. I'll check that out.
Fish tastes best when its fried on pan with butter. :D

tuomo

You guys are forgetting I can Fillet smelt boneless.

Im thinking of nailing a 10lb Pike and then cooking its Fillets over a box of Rice a Roni Mix. Sounds kinda funky buy I have found that a box of "add water" only RIce a roni makes a great meal in the middle of nowhere. Then just add any fillets from any fish you may have and

Instant Dinner!

Hey by the way the trailer to the video is finaly up and running. It has a clip of Julie Riffe (all you see is the gun) shooting a Wahoo from about 20+feet away and it takes off with a big ole drag line stuck in it.

www.spearfishingguide.com it uses quicktime

GTB

Pike has very small bones that have a 'branch' on the other end. This makes them stick to the meat very well. This also is one of the main reason why pike is usually grinded up. I have once tried to fillet a pike, but i was not able to extract all bones.
Good luck with the filleting. You'll need it.

Tuomo

Tuomo,

Your giving me too much credit. I have never even seen a pike in my life let alone shoot one with my speargun. Ill be lucky to even get the chance to fillet one.

I think for now Im gonna stick to grouper and snapper.

but i still like rice a roni :duh

GTB

if you don;t get one by spear you'll certainly be able to get one by rod. they have got to be the easiest fist to catch on a line, well, second only to baracuda.

Here's a picture of Feign's 10 lb Pike.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Attachments

• pict0026.jpg
    pict0026.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 170
Bones !! It is no problem deboning pike and they are very good eating from our COLD CLEAN CANADIAN LAKES. I,d like to be a Saskatchewan rep for the Canadian team.Let,s see haveboat and know where to shoot large northern pike waleye trout for vidio in exchange for Baja trip shooting??

Sounds like a hook up to me!!

If you help me out up in Canada than if you ever come down to my part of the woods I can show you some great spots in Baja!

I got the gas money for the boat!

I think that that would be an interesting and different video for spearfishing. For sure the only pike spearfishing video. Maybe a hit in Canada?

I wonder why they make it illegal to spearfish freshwater bass and such when it is more difficult(or at least less comfortable) to dive for them. I dont understand how it would be illegal to spearfish a pike in some spots of Canada. If I was the fish and game ruler I would change the rules.

"Hey boss, theres some guy out here who wants to know if its ok if he jumps in the freezing lake to try and spear shoot a pike!"

"Whats wrong with him, dosent he have a fishing pole?"

"No, he says he enjoys being in the water and likes to swim around and stuff, I think hes kinda looney."

"You tell that idiot if he wants to chase fish around a cold lake with a one shot bow and arrow that is ok with us, but we arent responsible if he drowns or something."

"Ok Boss.."

"Damn weirdos, what happen to the days of sitting in a warm jacket and sipping hot coffee, swim after the fish...whats the matter with people now andays..."

GTB
fish chasing weirdo

Pike bones? Pshaw! Even this warm weather type can fillet a pike and I learned how from a book! One cut down the spine and peel off the meat. One cut to take off the skin then find the Y-bones with the finger tips of the left hand whilst slicing off one large and one small fillet off with the knife in the right one (unless you is a southpaw, then do der reverse). Repeat for the other side of fishie. Jim and I once spent 5 days at Andrew Lake in Northern Alberta. We caught 394 pike and a lake trout between us in those five days and \did it while being completely skunked on one. Thassa lotta pikes! Jim's biggest was a measured 34" long and my biggest was 31". I swear, I thought it was a alligator comin' up after the lure. Whooeeee! Pike are a ball on six pound test rigs and they taste good too. I fry them in olive oil, deglaze the pan with however much beer is left in that particular can I'm drinking, reduce it by half then ad a Tbs. of mustard and a half can of condensed milk. Whisk in and pour over the fillets. Wash down with a fresh can of beer. (Yeah, I know it tastes better from a bottle but when you're flying in, aluminum weighs less than glass.) Num!

Allready started to train to dive with you northerners...

Bought a case of La Batts and a new fillet knife :p

Never shot a lincod before either, do you freedive for those? What is the vis like? What is the best time of year to do both. Is sakachawan close to the ocean?

I think I need to get another map besides Baja...

Man my trigger finger is gettin itchy...Im leavin for a ten day trip down to the south part of baja by plane on friday. I cant wait to get in the water!

Fish tacos and pacificos, like mothers milk to me.....

GTB

gonetobaja said:
Allready started to train to dive with you northerners...

Bought a case of La Batts and a new fillet knife :p

EWWWW pisswater! get a case of Molson Canadian or Keith's India Pale Ale

OR! a couple bottles of Maudite... tabernac! :friday

Never shot a lincod before either, do you freedive for those? What is the vis like? What is the best time of year to do both.

Freedive? is there any other way to hunt? none of that sissy scuba stuff up here. Lingcod are 20 - 60lbs and usually find them in 40 - 90ft. Winter/Spring is the best time as it offers the best Viz, but they can be taken year round in the north.

Is sakachawan close to the ocean?

Not even close :D where I go to chase lingcod is closer to Alaska then anything :)

Last edited:
Amphibious said:
EWWWW pisswater! get a case of Molson Canadian or Keith's India Pale Ale

OR! a couple bottles of Maudite... tabernac! :friday

alexander keith's is great
also
sleemens and grasshopper :p
i know all most all the canadian beers :)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT