• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing 101

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
It is legal to spear any of our game fish under same regs as hook and line. Saskatchewan is in the middle of Canada on the prairies.Equipment needed "beer 7mm suit" "more beer 5mm suit" "no suit rum".We have a great prairie beer called Pilsner.The only open water i have now is in the river,there is almost two feet of ice on the lakes already.

GTB is a good trip. im going back soon. stoked!

Attachments

• webDSC00976.jpg
    webDSC00976.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 151
Gonetobaja,
I can tell you from experience, being the new spearman that I am, that the work you put into that DVD will help guys like me tremendously. I got into the sport while on holiday in Kona, and I learned more from the video I bought from Blue Water Hunter than I did from my first 10 hunts. I learned to identify the fish, relax myself, to use good stalking techniques all from that video and I have been a big game hunter my whole life, hunting all over the world. Trips to HI are terribly expensive especially with my wife and our children in tow, and since I don't have a fishing partner where I live I promised my wife I wouldn't hunt alone. Which leads me to why I am replying to your post. I have been thinking of the Baja pen as a good compromise spot from Kona, and I would be REALLY interested in learning about your operation down there. Any info you have would really be a big help.

Thanks!

I bet there aren't many morons who reply to their own posts, but scratch my request Dale, I just found your websit.

Timgfallon01,

Im stoked to hear you are getting into the sport! Did you get you copy of Spearfishing 101 at Blue Water Hunter?
Im very happy, and flattered to know that you liked the video! There was alot of work put into it and its now starting to be noticed. I didnt even know it was being sold in hawaii.

The sea of cortez is different from hawaii. I have only been to hawaii once and it was to kona also. The reefs in baja are mostly rock with a mix of coral on them. It is a great place to spearfish IMO because there is a low amount of surf and surge and still good amounts of fish. A Baja trip can be done on a very LOW budget. If you are willing to camp out on the beach and dive from shore the possibilites are endless.

Blue Water Hunter has alot of great videos

Dont hunt alone is a good promise to keep...

GTB
www.gonetobaja.com
www.spearfishingvideos.com

Last edited:
Hey LaJollaFreediver, rigdvr said it best, "Dude, you are a tool". Wow, you are way off base. No indiscriminent hunting when you can see what you are shooting. Maybe you should spew your opinion at folks out there using fishing poles. Lighten up!

Last edited:
Here is a link to a Gone to Baja Trip report from Gonzaga Bay Baja CA.

It was still raining when we left San Diego. It was me, Pakmat, and his friend. We got down to Gonzaga bay 7hrs later to flat water again. The next morning we headed out to the islands. We went to one of my favorite spots. The vis was so so about 10-15ft. There was alot of current running but we were seeing fish everywhere. I had swam over to a spot at the end of the sea mount and dove down to about only 10 ft and was wedged between two rocks with some kelpish plant flowing over the top of me when he appeared out of the murk. A big lepoard grouper! He came straight at me and when I raised on him he was only about 3 ft away! I pulled on my trigger only to find out that I had left the saftey on. The big fish sensed my tension from the trigger pull and bolted away leaving me cussing in my head under the water and cursing my self for blowing once a trip oppportuinity.

I kept diving the area and checking with the guys to see if they had seen anything. They both had seen big fish but, like me had not been able to sink a shaft into anything. I had told them we needed to start and get some smaller fish for dinner. I had swam over to the same spot but a little deeper and dove down to about 15 feet. Then it happend again. A large shape appeared out of the murk. At first I thought it was a small sea lion that had been playing with me earlier but as it got closer I realized it was Mr. Safteyfish who had grown curious and swam back to see exactly what the all black piece of sea trash was stuffed down in the rocks. This time he was not so lucky. As he came it I leveled off on him with my Riffe #2 Mid handle.

POW!!!

The fish dissapeared so fast at first I was wondering if I hit him, then my breakaway popped and the fight was on!! He headed straight out to deep water instead of down in the 20 ft rock bed where I could get him. I tried to put the brakes on him but he just started pulling me out with him. I was pulling on my line hard because I was afraid he would try to hole up deep. Then the line went limp. I swam down to the line, down my shooting line and over to a big crack in a rock. There he was! He was too big to fit in the cave he was trying for and I was able to get my hand in to the crack and into his gills. Mr. Safteyfish was mine!!

Packmat came over and took some pics, looks like its gonna be grouper fillets at the resturant!

The next day I drove us back to the same place. We had seen so many nice fish that I figured "why not?"

I was hunting for snapper this time. After checking several caves that I know about I went over to my "bread and butter cave". I went around the side and came to it gun first. The first thing I saw was a big yellow eye looking out. I fired on instinct. SLAM!!!

Out of the hole come a nice snapper but the head shoot was too much for him to get over so I was able to get a good hold of his gills pretty easy. I had my helper get us a nice big octopus for our sauteed octopus soup appetizer.

That night we drove back to San Felipe and had our usual gormet dinner at the Baja Mar resturant. We ate like kings and drank beer like spearfishermen and then I passed out in my room like a little kid who played on the monkey bars too long...

Pics to follow.....

This is the year for good fish in baja. So far I have seen more fish down here than other years. Im not a fishologist so I dont know why, I only know what I see.

This fix should hold me over for about 3 weeks....

[ame="http://www.spearboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16474"]Gone to Baja trip report Gonzaga bay Mar 20-23 - Spearboard Spearfishing Community[/ame]

GTB

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the video amigo, very cool diving and straightforward info. My buddy bought a (nother) Riffe and your video too.
Hopefully we'll get down there sometime. Maybe '06!
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Erik - make sure we keep in touch on this - myself and a buddy from ottawa are tinkering with a late summer '06 adventure :D

Amphib,

Thanks for re-dooing my report, I am going to try and get one of my customers to post some U/W pics ASAP!

GTB

I'm new to spear fishing. In the South Florida/Keys area. Where can I go for info, equipment, etc? Looking for Rob Allen dealer in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT