• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Portugal

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi mate,

Already send you a PM with the contact of a Spearo from Madeira!

If you need anything else, fell free to ask!

Cheers,
Marco

Hi guys,

We had great weather and good sea conditions the past days over here...

marwm4.jpg

so what better than spend all the free time in the sea :) visiting some known places that remained impossible to visit for a long time :wink:

mar2vf6.jpg

Well i must say that the search for the Bass remains with no results, i missed a big one (over 4 Kg) easy shoot but i still don't understand how the hell did i missed it :oops: however that didn't ruined the weekend, and i keep enjoying 5 to 6 mts vis and the cold water between 14,8 and 15,3 ºC (i have to buy a 7 mm suit urgently).

The results of the weekend:

marco1vh0.jpg

sargostw7.jpg

Cheers,
Marco

Looking good Marco :friday

Good to see the conditions picked up for you, it has been terrible here too.

Hi Guys!

Yesterday i got up really earlier and went to a spot were in this time of year we usually find lot's of Cuttlefish, well i know that it isn't a difficult or trophy catch, but...they are delicious :wink: and its a good way of trainning my apnea...i´m almost at 3 weeks out of the water :rcard

And as for me a perfect fishing day always end's in the Kitchen...Sunday was a nice day ;)

All the Cuttlefish (Choco in Portuguese) were catched at depths between -6 and - 10, water temp 16ºC and good visibility (+- 4 meters) i used a Marc Valentin 60 (small gun).

The only bad thing about this day was that i loose a big moray eel after a long fight :head

P.S. - Pastor sorry for the gay shirt :cool:

chocooc9.jpg

caixafp9.jpg

Cheers,
Marco

Reactions: spaghetti
That's a real BENDER of a shirt!!!!! Call yourself a mate? rofl

Nice catch Marco (any news on the boat?)

Hi guys!

I´ve been away on a business trip, so its been a while since my last post...well Pastor what can i say about the boat...i didn't make the deal! the guy had other offer and wanted more money...so to hell with him :rcard i´m looking again.

Settingsteel what a story with that morray... :martial :blackeye

About spearfishing...well over here we are on the top of the cuttlefish season...in this time of year we don't have many fish, so i´ve been diving in shallow murky waters (between -5 / -8 mts) and with cold water (15ºC) i had to get my 7 mm Picasso jacket not to frozen in the water.

I let you guys some pics of cuttlefish, some delicious small crabs we call "navalheiras" and from my new 7 mm jacket that gives me the chance to be in the water for 5 to 6 hours and still be warm :friday

Cheers,
Marco

20032008222ca9.jpg

01052008230eu1.jpg
01052008230mn5.jpg

02052008234mp7.jpg

Reactions: Pastor
Hi guys,

I am on holiday in Portugal (Albufeira region) at the end of May for a week and would like to take my speargun along for the ride. From reading your posts (and elsewhere on the net) I understand that you need a license to spearfish in Portugal? I have also read that you can get them from an ATM - but the instructions are all in Portuguese (of which I speak none!) Is there any truth in this, and if so does anybody know how to do it or can translate the process for me?

Finally, what sort of fish am I most likely to see in this area at this time of year?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out! Cheers!

Hey Marco :)

Bummer about the boat, well bugger him, it's a buyers market so you will find another one soon enough :friday

Healthy haul of crabs! I love crab, it's the king of shellfish as far as I'm concerned, we are seeing fewer and fewer edible crabs here but more and more spider crabs.

The sea temperature is 10ºC here so stop moaning rofl

Hi guys,

I am on holiday in Portugal (Albufeira region) at the end of May for a week and would like to take my speargun along for the ride. From reading your posts (and elsewhere on the net) I understand that you need a license to spearfish in Portugal? I have also read that you can get them from an ATM - but the instructions are all in Portuguese (of which I speak none!) Is there any truth in this, and if so does anybody know how to do it or can translate the process for me?

Finally, what sort of fish am I most likely to see in this area at this time of year?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out! Cheers!

Hi Nick, well i know that a foreign citizen (in tourism) cannot take the license at an ATM machine.
In our old legislation you has a foreign citizen on vacations dont need a license, however i think that has changed. I´ve seent an email to our "Port Authority" today asking that and will get back to you soon as i have an answer from them.

In Algarve you can get all sorts of fish from Sargos, bass, conger, moray, if you get lucky orata or snapper, cuttlefish, octopus and some "sand" fish.

Send a PM to our member Catman i believe he lives in Albufeira!

Hey Marco :)

Bummer about the boat, well bugger him, it's a buyers market so you will find another one soon enough :friday

Healthy haul of crabs! I love crab, it's the king of shellfish as far as I'm concerned, we are seeing fewer and fewer edible crabs here but more and more spider crabs.

The sea temperature is 10ºC here so stop moaning rofl

I hope you are catching those spider crabs...they are also delicious...were are you coming to Portugal mate? Simon is almost arriving we will be diving together for a few days :friday

Cheers,
Marco

Ok thanks a lot for doing that, I will wait with baited breath.....

Cheers!!

Hi there mate, well i´ve already have a reply and the thing is...for a foreign citizen in vacations there are 2 possible licences.

1 - Taken with a touristic operator (dive / fishing / spearfishing charters) 3€/day.
For this you can try to contact one of this guys:

Reefcat Fishing - Sportfishing charters in the Algarve, Portugal
Boat-Charter-Algarve.com - Boat Charter Algarve Boat Charters Portugal * Boat Yacht Charters Algarve Information * Algarve Boating Sailing Holidays * Yacht Boat Charters Algarve Portugal
POLVO Watersports * Algarve Yacht Charters * Marina Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal

Or try to go to the Albufeira Harbour and find a fishing charter and ask if they can sell you a licence.

2 - The other way is to go directly to the DGPA in Algarve with your passport or other ID, the adress is in the link bellow:

Direcção Regional de Agricultura e Pescas do Algarve - Contacto

Have a nice stay mate!

Reactions: nickever
Thank you so much for taking the time to find all that out for me! I will look into it and decide which would be best for me. I will let you know how I got on after the holiday!

Thanks again!

Hello!

Difficult conditions for diving over here this weekend...rain, rough sea, cold water and poor visibility...but...what can i say...i went to the sea anyway :duh

However spring is a hard time for us spearos in my area, almost no fish to be honest almost no life underwater :vangry

I've started the day visiting one of my favorite spots right after the Cascais Marina...2 hours diving from -4 to -12 mts and nothing...only bait fish and small sargos tried everything from indien to wait with no results!

After this i decided to move to my "winter backyard" a place i only dive during winter and when the sea doesn't let me dive anywhere else...at my first dive i saw a nice octopus laying on a rock at the bottom...i got it by hand.
And in the next 4 hours i got another octopus and 4 cuttles, one of them with a really nice size...so at the end it wasn't that bad!

Cheers,
Marco

P.S. - Sorry for the bad pic but i was diving alone so i just taken the picture at home

marcodbkq6.jpg

Hi Marco,

we are planning to go to the Azores and we heard that this is one of the best places in the world for BW hunting especially for bluefin tuna spearfishing.

Do you know local spearos who we may get in touch with to arrange the boat, weights, float systems and other gear and who would be able to give tips in terms of hunting conditions what we should keep in mind etc. In other words we would like to get onshore and offshore support from experienced spearos. Thank you in advance for your help!

cheers,
Max

Hi Max,

Well i just have this contact for the Azores island:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Blue Water Expeditions[/FONT]
Paulo Reis
Flor Da Rosa Baixa, 53
9580-477 Vila do Porto
Santa Maria
Açores-Portugal
Telefone +(351) 296 883 545 Celular +(351) 914 201 281
+(351) 963 184 786
email : bwe@bwexpeditions.com

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Marco, Thank you very much!!! I'll try to get in touch with these guys and then if interesting I will let you know how the things are. By the way, as soon as we identify the date of the trip we will let you know, you are more than welcome to join.

Cheers,

Max

Hi there im from the southern part Algarve, if you do come here avoid the last 15 days of july and August, try to come in the begining of july.

If you need accomodation pls let me know, i'l see what i can arrange.

hey Catman & Marco,
I'm coming to Portugal for the first time, and will be staying at Quinta Do Largo, how is the diving near there?
I'm really interested in learning about spearfishing, are there places to rent spearguns and people who can teach me some skills?
I'll be there from 15-29th june 08.

Thanks in advance.
cheers

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT