• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Portugal

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Good to see a thread about spearfishing in Portugal!!! Really nice photos of the cuttles. As Pastor said, please stop moaning about the cold water as we get a bit jealous over here...
About those spiders, they are huge and they are good!! :)

Last edited:
Using a 7mm suit in portugal! Lmfao! Its hot there isnt it?

Marco, Thank you very much!!! I'll try to get in touch with these guys and then if interesting I will let you know how the things are. By the way, as soon as we identify the date of the trip we will let you know, you are more than welcome to join.

Cheers,

Max

Hi Max,
Do you already know in wich island you are going to stay? Thanks for the invite, but the Azores are a bit far from the Portuguese mainland and I have a trip already scheduled so to be honest I cant spend any more money in spearfishing trips this year...but I really appreciate the invite mate.

hey Catman & Marco,
I'm coming to Portugal for the first time, and will be staying at Quinta Do Largo, how is the diving near there?
I'm really interested in learning about spearfishing, are there places to rent spearguns and people who can teach me some skills?
I'll be there from 15-29th june 08.

Thanks in advance.
cheers

Hi mate, are you staying in “Quinta do Lago” Quinta do Lago ?? If this is the place I used to stay there a couple of times, my familly spends all August there, but in Summer its not a good time for diving in that area, my advice is rent a car and go to Sagres, ofcourse you can allways try to dive in places like Albufeira or Armação de Pera, but the results wont be too good...check out google earth for this places.

Using a 7mm suit in portugal! Lmfao! Its hot there isnt it?

Well during winter we have water at 14ºC lot’s of times...i suppose it could be hot for some guys...i get cold if I spend 4/5 hours diving in a 5 mm jacket...so for winter I use a 7 mm jacket and a 5.5 mm trousers, and I must say I know lots of Med spearos who use 7 mm suits all year...

Cheers,
Marco

Marco,

I've been stuck in London for way longer than i would have liked to :head. I was about to do something stupid like jumping in on the Thames with the speargun :blackeye when i changed my mind and decided to head to Lisbon!!! :friday
I'll be in Portugal for almost a week and should be diving on the West coast, from Ericeira to Peniche, as often as humanly possible. If the conditions look promising I might drive down to Sines or to some other place off the South West coast.

Let me know if you are up for a dip and a few blonde ones at some point.

Kelpfish

Last edited:
I currently am a diver, but a friend is encouraging me to start spearfishing. We are planning to do a couple of hunts here in the States, but I will be in Algarve September 20-27 (for a previously planned family vacation). Does anyone have any suggestions as to where in the Algarve area would be a good spot for a new hunter? Also, what do I need to bring with me for gear? I am not sure if there are rental shops there for UW hunting. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi C.Sr

Its better to bring all your gear with you, its almost impossible to find spearfishing gear to rent in Algarve, as for the speargun bring a 90 cm it will be enough.

The best place to spearfishing in Algarve is Sagres. (check the map in attach.)

Don't forget you need a Spearfishing licence. You have 2 ways for taking the licence:

1 - Taken with a touristic operator (dive / fishing / spearfishing charters) 3€/day.

2 - The other way is to go directly to the DGPA (Direcção Geral das Pescas e Aquicultura) if you are coming to Algarve this is the adress:

http://www.draalg.min-agricultura.pt/in ... t&Itemid=3

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Marco

Last edited:
Hi C.Sr

Its better to bring all your gear with you, its almost impossible to find spearfishing gear to rent in Algarve, as for the speargun bring a 90 cm it will be enough.

Don't forget you need a Spearfishing licence. You have 2 ways for taking the licence:

1 - Taken with a touristic operator (dive / fishing / spearfishing charters) 3€/day.

2 - The other way is to go directly to the DGPA (Direcção Geral das Pescas e Aquicultura) if you are coming to Algarve this is the adress:

Cheers,
Marco

Hi Marco,

This summer we go to portugal (Near Peniche, Sao Martinho Do Porto to be exact) and I was wondering If you know some good spearfishing locations in that area? Also, do you need some sort of licence etc etc? and what length of speargun?

Thanks,

Thibo

Hi C.Sr

Cheers,
Marco

Hi, Marco.

Unless I've just read it wrongly, the website for Faro Airport currently implies that spearguns are prohibited items and not actually allowed on planes coming into Faro nor in the airport.

"Which items are considered prohibited?
Among others, the following items are prohibited:

- Pistols, firearms or any other devices that can shoot projectiles.

- Metal or plastic toy guns/replicas, including water pistols.

- Slingshots, darts or sports clubs or bats......................................."

Extract from info from https://www.aeroportofaro.pt/en/fao/passenger-guide/baggage/prohibited-articles

Is this true in practice? Has anyone tried to fly into Faro with a speargun?

(I've flown out from Manchester to both Greece and Turkey and back and had no problems there. Indeed the UK Government website confirms flying into/out from UK Airports is OK as long as the gear is kept in the hold and not taken into the cabin.)

Oh and sensibly-sized dive knives seem to be prohibited into/in Faro Airport too?

"Objects with sharp points or edges, such as razors, knives, scissors and other objects with sharp blades over 6cm in length, syringes (except with medical prescription)."

Also, can you take spearguns and dive knives on buses in Portugal (since I don't drive)?

Any comments gratefully accepted.
Turunc2006.

Hi, Marco.

Unless I've just read it wrongly, the website for Faro Airport currently implies that spearguns are prohibited items and not actually allowed on planes coming into Faro nor in the airport.

"Which items are considered prohibited?
Among others, the following items are prohibited:

- Pistols, firearms or any other devices that can shoot projectiles.

- Metal or plastic toy guns/replicas, including water pistols.

- Slingshots, darts or sports clubs or bats......................................."

Extract from info from https://www.aeroportofaro.pt/en/fao/passenger-guide/baggage/prohibited-articles

Is this true in practice? Has anyone tried to fly into Faro with a speargun?

(I've flown out from Manchester to both Greece and Turkey and back and had no problems there. Indeed the UK Government website confirms flying into/out from UK Airports is OK as long as the gear is kept in the hold and not taken into the cabin.)

Oh and sensibly-sized dive knives seem to be prohibited into/in Faro Airport too?

"Objects with sharp points or edges, such as razors, knives, scissors and other objects with sharp blades over 6cm in length, syringes (except with medical prescription)."

Also, can you take spearguns and dive knives on buses in Portugal (since I don't drive)?

Any comments gratefully accepted..
Turunc2006.

Hi, few years ago I took my speargun between USA and Lisbon airport. I unscrewed the handle and the barrel fit diagonally in the suitcase, I then made a casing for the spear out of PVC tubbing with a threaded connection in the middle, incase I had to show it to security. I told the check-in staff that the spear was a just a metal part. I wasn't charged for the extra checked-in item because the suitcase was a bit under weight!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT