• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing/clarity report 2011

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jon - have you been in Mendota lately? I'm heading up to my dad's in New Glarus for Easter and was thinking about trying to go and shoot some bluegills. What would your prediction for success be?

The lakes are all brown right now. I would wait a while before jumping in.

Jon

Cool stuff, Scott and Tass. Last year was definitely a "down" year for everyone - mostly due to the shitty water conditions. The Mad lakes are still in diatom bloom. Then they'll die off and go clear briefly. Then there is a phanazomona (floating algae) bloom, and then.......if all goes well......clear water. Last year was the first crappy year I have ever seen - 1.5 days of clear water in Mendota. And last year was the first full year the spiny water flea had been in the lake. If they are hammering down the Pulicaria, those lakes will never be the same. Cross your fingers that last year was just one of those years.

ted

Ted,

What is the spiny water flea going to do to the lakes? Is that the thing that gets stuck in the throats or perch and kills them?

If these lakes have switched over into shit-hole mode expect to see a crap load of my freediving/spearfishing gear up for sale on Ebay as I switch back to wreck diving. :head

Jon

Just went spearfishing at Rock lake in Lake Mills, just off tyrenana park. Visibility was great, about 15-20ft in spots. Saw no fish that I could shoot though, only pike. Next time I'm trying the south side off Korth park, I saw a bunch of Gar there last year and I'm dying to kill one to see what they taste like.

Reactions: Whopperhead
I will be heading back to WOLF LAKE (Adams County) on FRIDAY Morning around 9:30am - if anyone is in the area and is bored.

Last edited:
Scott, I decree that I will definitely be joining you on at least one day this summer. Last year's skipping of L. Michigan depresses me every time I look up at those 14"ers on my wall. It needs to be done this year, dammit.

Mendota has gotten over the diatoms, and is now in its early season green bloom. Now, the test will be to see if the daphnia can explode and clear things up. I plan to go out today and drop a net in to see if they are on the upswing, or if the spiny water fleas are keeping them beaten down. I'll report back.

Ted,

What's up with all of the DNR fish nets? I see them planted in front of the outlet and also by the Yahara river where it connects to Lake Monona. Are these areas off limits? Where else are they set and for how long?

Jon

Do the nets have triangular "DNR" flags on them? Those are likely the walleye survey. They'll only be there for a few weeks to collect spawning data.

Hit Lake Geneva/Abbey Lagoon for some crappies today. Vis inside of the lagoon was pretty crappy ~6'; made it hard to get close to the big ones. But it sure was nice to get one of the guns I made over the winter wet! Did take one nice 36" carp while I was out. Probably going to go again tomorrow on the boat and hit Black Point if anyone is interested.

went to wolf lake today in Adams County - Vis was 10'. water temp 47 degrees. saw lots of small and medium size fish - no giant Crappie like last time. was in the water for about 2.5 hours. a good time!

Went to WOOD LAKE today, here are my stats:

Water Temp: 49/50

Water Vis: 3'

Live Fish spotted: 0

Time spent in water: 1 hour

The look on Wreckrunner's face when he realized he had on dotey's pants: Priceless

Last edited:
The look on Wreckrunner's face when he realized he had on dotey's pants: Priceless

This happened AGAIN!!?? :head

Once is a mistake, but twice an addiction. rofl

Jon

did not happen again- just thought it would be nice to throw that in there. And bring up painful memories for him.

Went out in Lake Michigan today off a beach in Evanston Illinois. Just was testing my gear out, realized I need to get some new gloves. Didn't kick out to far (about 150yds), was alone with family on the beach, but the vis was about 2 feet. Didn't see anything.

Chris

Went out in Lake Michigan today off a beach in Evanston Illinois. Just was testing my gear out, realized I need to get some new gloves. Didn't kick out to far (about 150yds), was alone with family on the beach, but the vis was about 2 feet. Didn't see anything.

Chris
Why do you need new gloves?

HammerHead makes a really nice pair of 5mil open cell. Very Flexible and comfortable.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT