• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing/clarity report 2011

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
do you use 5mil or 3mil? I might just order both...

Go 5mil. Can use them in the summer too if you still feel the need for gloves. TIP*** be careful when you put them on- use a soap/conditioner solution, The first pair I bought, I ripped a hole in them. don't use your fingernails to put them on either. Use the MEAT of your fingers - like you would your wetsuit.

Just got back from blackhawk lake.

Visibility was about 15 feet

Water is warm enough that my hands and feet didnt get cold even after an hour.(in the winter they got cold after 5 min)

On sunday shot 4 bluegill and 2 crappies, no big ones

Tuesday shot 4 bluegill and 2 crappies, one crappie was about an inch larger than my size 12 foot...healthy size fillet on that one.

From sunday to tuesday the clarity was markedly better, can only assume next weekend it will be great.

Hey Whopperhead,

Do you know how the sizing works on the hammerhead gloves? Is the inches measurement from tip of the finger tip to base of the glove or is tip of fingertip to base of the palm?

I'm also planning on dialing in how much weight to wear next weekend before carporama, any recomendations on where to start? I'm 6'4 250lbs and will be wearing a 3mil farmer john / hooded suit.

Thanks,
Chris

You're a big dude!

I would guess you need XXL Gloves or Larger if they have them. I normally wear LARGE Gloves but for Hammerhead gloves I have to go one size Larger - So, I wear XL.

As far a weight goes: I would say about 16 - 20lbs. Its shallow diving. I wear 16lbs with my 5mil suit. It's just about right for me (5'10" and 185lbs)

Hey Whopperhead,

Do you know how the sizing works on the hammerhead gloves? Is the inches measurement from tip of the finger tip to base of the glove or is tip of fingertip to base of the palm?

I'm also planning on dialing in how much weight to wear next weekend before carporama, any recomendations on where to start? I'm 6'4 250lbs and will be wearing a 3mil farmer john / hooded suit.

Thanks,
Chris

I just recieved my Hammerhead order, which had XXL-3mm gloves in it. I felt like they were a little on the tight side, but I'm no expert on how open cell gear should fit and feel, but I did send Hammerhead a message today asking if they had 3XL gloves, probably won't get a response for a day or 2. My hand measurements are as follows: wrist to tip of middle finger-8 1/2", length of longest finger-3 1/2", width of palm-4", tip of thumb to opposite side of palm-7", I hope this helps you. If they have gloves in 3XL, I might order a pair of those, so if your hand measurements are a little smaller than mine, I might be willing to part with the XXL's.

My hand is pretty close to your measurement. I ordered XXXL from scubasworld.com I couldn't find that size on hammerheads website or any other... so I guess I'll see what I get shipped from them this week and report back.

How big are you overall? The wetsuit I ordered seemed to be the biggest around from riffe, the cryptic camo 3mm, and it barely fits my huge body... just curious as I'm probably going to be buying a 5mm or 7mm in the future.

I'm between 6'2 and 6'3, 265 lbs. I just bought a XXL - 3mm open cell from Pursuit Diving. That's the biggest size they have and I'm actually over their weight recommendation for that size, so it is a little tight on me, but my intent is to lose some weight. Maybe I will be able to test it at the carp-o-rama if I can make it. I believe Whopperhead's brother has a spetton suit in digital blue that I tried once, and it seemed to fit pretty good, I think it was spetton size 6 and I think they make a size 7 also, but not 100% positive. I'll post any additional gear talk in a different thread.

Last edited:
Decent day in Lake Monona. Water Temp was 53 when I started at 8:30am and 54 when I got out around 12:30pm. Water vis started out with a GOOD 10'-12' Vis and ended with a 6-10' - because the wind had picked up. Saw Lots of little fish and some Muskies. I ended up shooting 1 small Crappie and a Perch.

If you are into shooting or eating Freshwater Drum - there are lots to be had.

Jon, Kalin and Nate ended up diving with me today also. I will post some pics little later. Another week or two and it should be good diving and spearfishing conditions. Right around the time for Carp - O - Rama.

Attachments

• PIC_0010.jpg
    PIC_0010.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 223
  • PIC_0012.JPG
    PIC_0012.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 225
  • PIC_0008.jpg
    PIC_0008.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 219
  • PIC_0013.jpg
    PIC_0013.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
I was in for just under an hour and shot two decent sized bluegills in that time. I could have shot more, but just ran out of time this week to do much of anything. Next week, I hope, will be different. There were a ton of bass- which we can't shoot- and a bunch of drum pretty much everywhere I swam. I didn't see any musky today, but last week they had the outlet on and I saw 20-30 of them swimming around at once. Every one was over a meter long. Today the outlet was off and all I got to see where tiny babies swimming around the opening.

I never got to say hello to Nate, but I did run into Scott and Kalin. I hope to make the carp shoot this year, but we'll have to see what the family has going on that day.

Jon

Attachments

• drum fish.jpg
    drum fish.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 222
  • max 6th birthday 018.jpg
    max 6th birthday 018.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 220
Those were some good pictures scott, and thanks for the crappie and perch, they made an excellent supper for us and the neighbors yesterday night.

Good pics Scott..What is the fish on the 4th?
Jon thanks for the bluegills.
And I have to admit Carp taste better then Drum fish. :)

Blackhawk lake is perfect right now, all the weeds are high enough to hide in, the fish are in shallow and the visibility is 25-30 feet. Just shot 6 decent crappies and 2 smallish perch. If you like bluegill they are huge and all over the place.

What is the water temp.?
And did you see any carp?

I am looking for a lake to go Saturday :)
And Kalina is coming with me :) :)

I dont bring a thermometer with me, but it was about the same temperature as monona lake, maybe a little bit cooler. I only saw one carp and he was small.

Went to WOLF Lake in Adams County today after work. In about 1 hour, I shot 9 decent size Crappies. The Biggest being 11.25". The Water Temp was 66 degrees, Vis was 12-15'. And the fish were on! Fish everywhere! It was just a matter of picking and choosing.

Pic1: Thermocline
Pic2: Aiming up the shot on a Crappie
Pic3: School of Bluegills swimming by - unharmed :-D
Pic4: A gathering of Bass to check out this 'weird fish' in their waters
Pic5: Head - Shot!

Attachments

• PIC_0016.jpg
    PIC_0016.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 218
  • PIC_0018.jpg
    PIC_0018.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 212
  • PIC_0020.jpg
    PIC_0020.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 234
  • PIC_0021.jpg
    PIC_0021.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 221
  • PIC_0015.jpg
    PIC_0015.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Took my buddy to Lake Michigan in Evanston IL to test out his gear, vis was crap again, but purpose of the trip was just to make sure everything fit/worked.

See everyone at carporama next weekend.

Chris

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT