• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing/clarity report 2011

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Does anyone know the clarity for Fox Lake? When I come home the last week in July, I would like to hit it up.

Fox lake by Fond du lac/Beaver Dam Area? I've heard it's not clear enough to spear. I have a Friend that FISHES it and he always informs me it's too murky.

Fox lake by Fond du lac/Beaver Dam Area? I've heard it's not clear enough to spear. I have a Friend that FISHES it and he always informs me it's too murky.

Fox lake is just north of Beaver Dam Lake off of HWY 33. I've heard mixed stories on the clarity of this lake. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything. Beaver Dam Lake is a green mess this time of year. I was looking to put a dent on the carp population while I am home on leave. :)

Just got back from taking my fiance spearfishing for her first time at the Harris Pond, Marquette County, mainly in the river below it. The vis was poor 2'-3'. But on the plus side she loved it =D I got one mediocre rock bass but not much else, but we saw some really nice smally's : ) it's time to hit that place up with the ultralite rod :p

Chris

Just got back from spearing Harrisville again and have noticed that in the past few days all the rocks and everything has acquired a thick spongy algae/moss coating and the vis is really poor, i think due to the algae but im not sure. does anyone know how long this stuff lasts?? or anything about it

Thanks,
Chris

I am not privy to the algae/ stuff you are looking for information on. However there is concern and many states are putting out warnings concerning blue green algae which is not actually an algae but a bacteria known as Cyanobacteria which is toxic to humans and animals due to the excessive heat this year. I recommend anyone who enjoys the water to familiarize themselves with this issue. I also would recommend you familiarize yourself with the brain eating ameba known as Naegleria fowleri infection fromthis particular organisim is rare and seems to occur more in the southern states although one case was reported in a northern state. I mention this just in case someone develops meningitis type symptoms. Between the two I personally feel it is important to ensure that your primary care physician be aware that you are a freediver.

Chris - the poor vis should last into October. Summer sucks around this area.

Darn it looks like I will be using the Ultra light gear, and pushing through the poor vis

thanks,
Chris

You could hit the inner harbor area off of Milwaukee- think Bayview inside the wall. This water gets up to 78F degrees when the wind is out of the east- it blows to warm surface water in from across the lake.

Lake Michigan is the only place with any vis these days. Your only other option is to head up to Lake Wazee and stay shallow.

Jon

Randy and I met in Kenosha at 9am, were in the water around roughly 10 out by 1. As we were checking out entry points, there were 3 divers in the water yelling back and forth with fisherman, unfortunately they were doing exactly what I try to avoid.

We stayed on the south side of the canal, saw the large schools of perch, but the vis was good 20+ and the fish were more skittish than my previous trip. We did see some of the JUMBO's, but couldn't get close enough for a shot. I missed a bunch, but ended up with 4 (nature was calling, and not the kind you can do in the suit) all were between 11-12". Randy's shooting was on and he quickly got his limit of 5 I think all of his were between 11-14". I will post pics when I get a chance.

Immediately upon getting in and loading my gun, I saw a 10lb trout (too bad we can't spear them). I saw huge baitballs of alewives, a couple huge carp (I didn't spear them because I have nothing to do with them, although it was tempting).

Next time, we are going to kick it to the break wall as has been advised by Scott. Unfortunately, I can only get out there on weekends due to work and the boat traffic is pretty intense.

Pan fried them for my parents last night for dinner, so I'm out again. Randy and I are planning to go back until they aren't at the mouth of the harbor. I also figure the Salmon should be coming in to spawn aka die and will be cool to look at, unfortunately this means more boats.

If anyone wants to get together for Saturday or Sunday dives, let me know and we can plan something...

Chris

Pictures below...

Attachments

• IMAG0161.jpg
    IMAG0161.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 220
  • IMAG0162.jpg
    IMAG0162.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 236
  • IMAG0163.jpg
    IMAG0163.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 226
Reactions: foxfish
Let me know and I'm in for the next shoot, schedule permitting. I'll do the wknd thing by myself if I have to. I've got that big dive float too, so it'll be easier for boaters to see us. I'll have to buy a 2 day license. Just have to figure out diving and sleeping arrangements. Anyone hear about anyone doing line dives, I'd like to shoot for that 70' mark before summer's over, no fins because they slowed me down last time.

Anyone hear about anyone doing line dives, I'd like to shoot for that 70' mark before summer's over, no fins because they slowed me down last time.

I can meet you at Wazee sometime to do line dives. It's not far for me. And it's a good lake to do line dives at.

I'd be up for that. I don't have any dates in mind, weekdays I'm working but my wknd schedule is usually pretty flexible. I'm 2.5 hrs out from wazee.

Its looking like my next available date to go to Kenosha is Sunday Aug 14th... anyone else want to dive that day?

I was out biking around with my kids today and stopped by the UW union for some ice cream. While we were eating it I happened to walk by Lake Mendota and was amazed by how clear it was. I'm not talking about winter type vis, but it was still pretty nice for this time of year.

Anyway, the kids and I decided to go for a swim and cool off from the heat. I even swam to the bottom of the lake to take a couple of quick photos and couldn't believe that there was actually enough vis to spear in! :friday

I'm wondering if Ted has been holding out on us and secretly knows so other clear water spots around the lakes. ;)

Jon

Attachments

• swimming at the terrace 035.jpg
    swimming at the terrace 035.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 242
  • swimming at the terrace 010.jpg
    swimming at the terrace 010.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 233
  • swimming at the terrace 007.jpg
    swimming at the terrace 007.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 219
  • swimming at the terrace 011.jpg
    swimming at the terrace 011.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 220
  • swimming at the terrace 022.jpg
    swimming at the terrace 022.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 233
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT