• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing/clarity report 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
A great day in the lake. Scott joined me for a while and we saw plenty of fish. Water was about 58F- which was good for 2 and half hours in a 3mm suit.

Jon

Attachments

• bass1.jpg
    bass1.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 244
  • crappie.jpg
    crappie.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 239
  • musky 3.jpg
    musky 3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 245
  • musky 1.jpg
    musky 1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 254
  • musky 6.jpg
    musky 6.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 256
Anyone want to dive on Saturday somewhere in SE Wisconsin? I'm willing to head up as far as Madison... but would prefer to stay further SE. Let me know if anyone has plans.

Chris

I could do it but Sunday or the best Saturday afternoon( it depends what time I get home Saturday morning)
EDIT: Sun or Mon :(

Last edited:
I ended up doing quite well on Monona- The vis was less than I expected, but was still able to get a good collection of Crappie, Perch and Bluegills.

As soon as I got home and started to cut up my fish, I got paged out to a fire and didn't get home for another 5 hours. I didn't get done cutting up my fish until 10:30pm!

Will post pics when I get to it.

Jon after you left, they cranked up the outlet and it was rippin! I got water temp of 63 about 50 yards out!

I also saw TONS of Carp!!!

Lake Geneva today(Fontana Bay) . Water temp-14C (57F) and viz 2 to 3 meters (6-10 feet) . I did not see any carp or crappie. Ended up with 5 mid-sized Blue Gill. I shot my first double :) :martial

Heading to Lake Mendota on Wed - Should get there around 10am- might hit up Gov's Island.

Governors Island at Lake Mendota is a Great place if you are looking for CARP and White Bass - Straight out from the Island (If that's what you want to call it) about 150-200ft from shore in the weeds- The carp just Swarm you! I saw 2 little Perch on the bottom and that was it for panfish. Just a Crap load of Carp and White bass though!

Vis was 3ft in the beginning and once I got out in the thick weeds it got better to about 10ft. Water temp was 63.

Governors Island at Lake Mendota is a Great place if you are looking for CARP and White Bass - Straight out from the Island (If that's what you want to call it) about 150-200ft from shore in the weeds- The carp just Swarm you! I saw 2 little Perch on the bottom and that was it for panfish. Just a Crap load of Carp and White bass though!

Vis was 3ft in the beginning and once I got out in the thick weeds it got better to about 10ft. Water temp was 63.

How did you end up doing? I was out their wednesday the water looked pretty murky and their were a lot people fishing so I ended up just going home.

How did you end up doing? I was out their wednesday the water looked pretty murky and their were a lot people fishing so I ended up just going home.

I didn't do well at all. Vis was 3ft - 8ft (in a few spots). I saw a TON of Carp and White Bass! The only panfish I saw were a few small Perch. I could of filled my stringer with all the white bass and carp I can handle, but I'm not sure how white bass taste and I have no need for Carp at this point in my life. I'm trying to upload some pics from the other day- but I'm having issues with my SD card reader.

Did you just swim straight out from Governors Island or use a boat?
I might be heading out there tomorrow unless you could recommend a better spot in the area.

Thanks

I went out to Waubesa this morning because i got a tip that they had 3 METERS of vis. It turned out to be a bum tip as the actual vis was less than 3 FEET! :head:head

I did manage to see a couple of decent sized crappie swim by, but the vis was just too limited for my 75cm gun. I had 69F degree water and LOTS of fishing boats to contend with. i won't be back in there until next year.

Since I was already out, and about, I decided to try Lake Monona. I stopped by the outlet and saw that the green algae was in and vis looked to be zero. I would have left right then, but I ended up helping the lifeguards put in the diving raft. I went down and found their moorings for them and helped them bolt things into place. Once we were done I checked the depth off of the diving board so that they knew it would be safe for swimmers- 17' so they should be good.

What I found down below was that vis was surprisingly good below 20'. I would say that i had a good 15' to 20' of (very dark) vis down there. I didn't see a single fish, but it made finding their deeper moorings much easier. After I was done I headed back toward shore to find the weed beds and look for fish. Unfortunatly, once you got above 17' the vis went to crap and I didn't see a single fish- except for the carp that were jumping out of the water. Surface temp was the same 69f degrees i had in Waubesa.

I'm not sure what Mendota looks like these days, but it was crap when I rode my bike past the Union Terrace yesterday. Of course, the wind might have had something to do with it, but it might still be OK.

I talked to my father-in-law last night and he had to pull a 24' boat out of the Milwaukee river yesterday. He told me that he had a good 5' of vis on the bottom of the river- which is amazing if you've ever dove in there! Not sure what it was like out on Lake Michigan, but the river sounded cleaner than I've seen it in a long time.

Where's everyone else diving? anyone been up to Devil's Lake lately? I want to take my kids up there and was wondering about conditions.

Jon

Went out at a pond just outside of Cross Plains we had about 4ft vis. saw some bass, small gills, and my buddy shot a small carp not bad for only having an hour to go out.

Sounds like some of you get out in Monona fairly often. I was just west of BB Clarke park yesterday - viz was a 1-3 meters. Not bad considering the bloom we had last week and all of the wind over the weekend.

Just wanted to put a post in. Lake Mendota north of Picnic Point was 12ft vis and 61deg water temps. The wind had blown it clear yesterday. Saw several Perch and lots of Carp - Good for killing. :)

Tried out the new fins today off of governors island. Plenty of carp, a perch or two - on the lee side. Windy out there but viz was 8+ ft.

Just wanted to put a post in. Lake Mendota north of Picnic Point was 12ft vis and 61deg water temps. The wind had blown it clear yesterday. Saw several Perch and lots of Carp - Good for killing. :)

Headed to that area tomorrow. How far out were those perch?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT