• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing/clarity report 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
On Saturday I went to my favorite lake in central WI. The clarity was about 8' to 10'. The Crappies where abundant. I was with two friends who where fishing from a boat. They were amazed at the size and quantity of fish I was able to get. The Crappies were just what I always go for, 10" to 12". There were many fish that an angler would consider a keeper that I didn't even take a second look at. I also saw the largest Crappie I have ever seen.... it must have been 14" or 15". I only had a split second to get a shot off....RATS....a hair too low. :(

I might hit up Wolf if its clear- I heard the fish are in hard on Jordan if you can avoid the boats. Give us a report and let me know the conditions.

on Wed 06/06 I went out and dove mendota from marshal park. didnt go out that far, just beond the ring of weeds. anywhere between 3-8 ft visability so not too bad. I saw plenty of fish there and i lost my pole spear lol. I took a look at blackhawk lake earlier that day and it was a silty green, so BH might be out of the question for the rest of the year :..(

What kind of fish did you see there? And which way did you go out? I went there last week and dove out straight from the beach to the sailboats and only saw a couple sheephead.

Anyone been out to second point recently? I went on a long swim along the shore to about 15 feet of depth and only saw a few smallmouth.

How was the clarity out at 2nd point? I was out there last week and it was turning green only had 3-5 feet of visiblity I did see a gar, a few bluegills, a few carp, and one or two crappies.

Wolf lake was awesome good vis. Jordan lake was sprayed with a poison to kill off weeds, so I didnt dive on that one

Looking at going to Kenosha Harbor on Wed. Should be there around 10:30-11am -

Lake Report for Kenosha Harbor:

Water Temp 47-48

Vis 30' on the bad side of the break wall 50' on the protected side of the break wall.

With the vis this good, it was hard to shoot any fish. I saw about 3 small schools of Perch, but they scattered as soon as you started your dive. There were a few beasts in there and I would say the average size was 13". I brought my 75cm gun to a Sniper Show. I should of brought my 115cm and then maybe I would of had a chance. It was great to dive in that clear of water!!! It was the clearest I've ever seen it. I could see the bottom all the way over to the Break Wall. The Channel had dozens of LARGE Dead fish laying on the bottom - Weird.

Might be heading back to that place July 14th if anyone is interested.

OH, it was nice and quiet - only saw 1 boat out there............... That's why I go during the week.

After a couple of days of strong winds Lake Michigan cleared up enough to give it a try this afternoon. Had some good luck in about 8'-10' of water. The wind shifted out of the SE after an hour or so and it got pretty choppy again. Smallest fish was 10", biggest was 13"

rudyc

DSCN3897.jpg

Visiting WI for a bit...Dove Green Lake & Elkhart Lake 6/28 with son & friend. Green Lake vis was about 8'. Ended up with 1 carp...they were fairly skittish. Elkhart vis was 10 - 12'. saw some nicer perch & son got one carp. was the perfect activity on a hot day.

Dove Sheboygan North Breakwall 6/29. Vis was 20'. No Carp. Ended up with on sucker. was cool seeing smaller trout & schools of alwife. Went fishing on Dumper Dan Charters, & ended up with 11 salmon...was a great trip.

Was nice to be back diving in WI again for a while...looks like you guys have built up a nice group. Peace to all.

Anyone ever try Port Washington? From Google Maps, it does not look like a river is draining out there...the clarity may be good inside the breakwater...

Thoughts?

Did you see any Perch while diving in Sheboygan? I was up there this morning salmon / trout fishing with my wife. We ended up with a nice mess of fish with the biggest King going 17#'s.

Saw a whole fleet of Dumper Dan boats leaving the harbor, must have been 5 or 6 boats. He has a very good reputation up there.

rudyc

Good to see you back for a bit Ping!!! Should of given me a heads up, I might of been able to meet up with you guys on Big Green or Sheboygan. WE have a good group of guys diving around here. Alot of them taking classes and becoming the best diver they can be.

No perch @ Sheboygan north wall. Went 1/2 up the wall...diving @ all depths.

Scott, I had thought about contacting you...I should have...reason I hesitated was because our scheduling had to be pretty loose. I have a son in "job search" mode, & the Sheboygan Salmon trip was up in the air...we were going to go with a friend, but they are having motor problems.

Son recently graduated with a teaching degree - HS Social Studies. So, if anyone has influence, or knows of any openings, please contact him...he is a spearo as well. robertjkuhns@gmail.com

Dumper Dan has 6 boats, & is highly recommended. They know what they are doing. My dad has known Dan for a while. It was a wonderful trip. If anyone ever thinks of doing a salmon fishing trip on a charter boat, they would be the ones to call for the Sheboygan area. Tell them that Gene Kuhns from the boat "Anny Baby" sent you. www.dumperdan.com

I may be doing an exploritory trip to Port Washington on Monday...if anyone wishes to go, let me know.

Does anyone have an extra 5-7 mm open cell my son could borrow? 5'9" medium build. I have extra gloves & socks, just looking for a suit...

I talked to some guys who go fly fishing at the Sheboygan Power plant...they say that they see carp there all the time. So, it sounds like that may be the place to go in this neck of the woods if you want to slay some big carp. :martial

Peace to all,

Gene

I had to go to Milwaukee for a family birthday party today and had a chance to jump in for a swim. We took the boat out to the main break-wall and dove the outside. I saw some small bait-fish, but no perch. Water was flat calm and 64F degrees. Looking straight down you could see about 15', but if you dove down and busted through the haze at 21' things opened up quite a bit- about 50' horizontal in all directions.

Here's a few pics from today.

Jon

Attachments

• P1180600.jpg
    P1180600.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 279
  • P1180574.jpg
    P1180574.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 269
  • P1180565.jpg
    P1180565.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 273
  • P1180564.jpg
    P1180564.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 267
  • P1180558.jpg
    P1180558.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 267
Anyone interested in diving this weekend? I'm looking for a partner in Kenosha... Can go Saturday or Sunday.

Went to Kenosha Sunday with Trevor, not many perch in the water. Water was pretty warm (don't have temp, didn't put the watch on). I shot a 8-10lb carp. We just went along the South wall from harbor opening to harbor opening, too many boats to swim to the outer breakwall.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT