• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing north wales

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
If you are forced from Barcelona back to Stockport, you must have been a terrible bloke in a previous life to deserve that.

your problem must be lack of technique Paul rather than lack of fish.

Well, I'm sure that has something to do with it, but my main problem has been not being able to get in the water due to the weather. Felt like I've been busy when (if) the conditions were half decent. I don't think I've been in the water more than 6 times this year. :vangry

If you are forced from Barcelona back to Stockport, you must have been a terrible bloke in a previous life to deserve that.

Ahahah I was thinking the same. Well, I am not having much luck in finding job in UK either. :head I am pretty fucked! Or maybe when I go to the interviews they don't appreciate my smell of fish? Hihihihihi!

Well, I'm sure that has something to do with it, but my main problem has been not being able to get in the water due to the weather. Felt like I've been busy when (if) the conditions were half decent. I don't think I've been in the water more than 6 times this year. :vangry

You should have bought my boat and you could have take the most out of those days fishing and go other days when the weather was crap and reach remote areas with better vis.:t

That's it he's turning in to a fish !His lungs were turning in to modified gills !the master Jedi is morphing it to the ulltimate predator !What chance will we have if it returns!LOL....So whos up for cold water scalloping next weekend? You never know we might se some fish!....may be the last fishing of 2012!.Down in Devon this week working may get in but I'm not holding my breath!!!.Where you all n what you doing?

Hey hey hey! if the weather is good (relatively) I'm very easily led and not been in for a month or so!!. Keep in touch. Lurv scallops, so sounds perfect, Depends on work n weather as ever!!

Ho Ho Ho Theres 4foot of swell on my scallopeing spot and two surfers it looks like a xmas cake made out of concrete!stong sw winds ponding it in north side looked just as bad driving down joy!

Where on earth is your scallop spot mate!?! Hells Mouth rofl

The South Coast is super calm looking on the webcams..?

Near s4 .Gave up came home rhyl looked flatest but not a good colour at all !How can it look rough passing trefor then be even worse on south side dinghies and windsurfers and surfers giving it loads prob some where flatish maybe a little wind blown of shore with some vis deep down north side .May have to try a day fish in the next few weeks?

Last edited:
Abersoch was flat on the cams - the viz over the rocks looked be circa 10cm though... murky, murky, murky!

That much if i`d known i`d of gone in!!!!!!!LOL .Theres nothing like being there are seeing it with your own eyes !.Just popped over to winterise van was going to stay the night but the sea was so bad we came home.I really think it might be next year too, sad to say so little time will try and do a day flying visit to the`MON` prob get to cable bay way in an hour and half .will watch weather between xmas and new year see if its calm for a few days n go.

Well done for sticking with it mate! Just treated myself to a 7mm so cant wait for a chance to try it!!

Weirdly am in barcelona this weekend but it sounds like someone might have caught all the fish around here already........

Watching the weather, so will give a shout if looks poss. How are the shore fishers doing?

Definitely next year for me - no interest in freezing, barren, murkey Welsh waters... unless I'm on my annual scalloping with DaffyddRees ;)

I spent some time tweaking my new RA today - bye bye ultra-thick mono, bye bye stupid bungee with noisy metal thing, bye bye stupid tuna clip that I cant use after I've been in the water all day without gloves!

I don't know about anyone else but my RA was waaaay too tightly rigged - the bungee was really stiff and there wasn't quite enough mono - do I really need 300lb mono on a 70cm gun? rofl

Last edited:
Definitely next year for me - no interest in freezing, barren, murkey Welsh waters... unless I'm on my annual scalloping with DaffyddRees ;)

I spent some time tweaking my new RA today -- do I really need 300lb mono on a 70cm gun? rofl

Nah....you dont! rofl rofl rofl :)

Nah....you dont! rofl rofl rofl :)

Indeed not! I removed the monstrous RA mono and replaced it with some much thinner stuff!

I'm still very dubious of the closed RA head... I can't help thinking that the crimp is going to get stuck in it when it's fired.

Indeed not! I removed the monstrous RA mono and replaced it with some much thinner stuff!

I'm still very dubious of the closed RA head... I can't help thinking that the crimp is going to get stuck in it when it's fired.

It may only if the line was previously stored tight as it may curl very quickly when you fire. It happened to me but than after a while the line was on the gun and stretched straight and it stopped. It happened that I fired a gilthead, got it in the head but as the line got entangled in the bands the shaft came back into the gun living the fish free and dead. rofl Still got the fish though! I used to use a 1.2mm nylon in uk and I found that more than enough as the fish don't fight much if not at all!

It may only if the line was previously stored tight as it may curl very quickly when you fire. It happened to me but than after a while the line was on the gun and stretched straight and it stopped. It happened that I fired a gilthead, got it in the head but as the line got entangled in the bands the shaft came back into the gun living the fish free and dead. rofl Still got the fish though! I used to use a 1.2mm nylon in uk and I found that more than enough as the fish don't fight much if not at all!

Thanks Dario, that's good to know! I can't see my gun getting used any time in the next 4 months so hopefully the line will be super straight by then.

Glad to hear that you got the fish... as always! :blackeye

Yeah with fly line,every season (if I don't change it) I put one end on a fence post and give it good tug (so to speak) As then it shoots straighter/quicker....

Other option is to use it first as a drying clothing line for a while. roflroflrofl

Attachments

• clothesline_fancy.jpg
    clothesline_fancy.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 184
Re write that .got wrong vidio completely of anyone noticed!On you tube "seabass underwater.footage 2007."think he had invisible suit on .Maybe with no gun in hand we are not seen as a predator ?Or they were to interested in spawning!still fantastic bit of footage.yes there bass I know.its not my vid!

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT