• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing On Scuba

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sure , the fishermen don't exactly enjoy seeing you boat a nice fish next to them . They drive over your lines ect ; pure harassment .

There are two good days commercial fishing. The first is when you start. The second is when you quit.

sven

how can one person have so much to say??!

Hey it's along hard road Vince. And every once in a while, somebody agrees with ya. ;)

Thanks.

sven

That sounds like the mellowist I've ever heard Sven. You forgot to tell the young man that it gets easier to be humble with each mistake.

Aloha
Bill

YOUNG MAN???

me, a young man, i hardly think so,

im still a boy, merely a lad, the adult world im not yet ready to see

"every once in a while..." jee, you must be lucky ;), in the "real" world people seem to think me a fool

bill, i think your right, must be something about 800 posts, i wonder if it will last long...;) :D

now go get some of those darn "fisheeesss"

greetings O' 3 bubble Karma dude!

Oh now you show up, Bill!:eek:
Mellow? Naw, just bushed. This fighting for truth, justice and the perfect woman is taxing. But you knew that.:cool:

The Picasso Open is tomorrow up this way. Viz is 3', temp is 52 and it's foggy. Hawaii or anywhere else is sounding mighty good.

sven

Originally posted by Bill
You forgot to tell the young man that it gets easier to be humble with each mistake.

Bill

Very true, Bill. But then again I don't see remarrying.:head

sven

Abri
I finally found a fellow freediver in my area. Turns out he is family friends of the Riffe's...what a gun collection he has!:cool: Anyway he has enlightened me on some new techniques to try on those deep aj's...gonna leave the tanks at home for a while and see if I can improve my freediving(I find it hard to say no to the tanks when they are onboard!) We have begun to line up a trip to the lumps( a famous spot in the gulf for tuna and wahoo) and we got to talking about the murk when he told me about an experience similar to yours except it was with makos...they were chunking behind the boat and he went to check the depth of the murk for the people he brought diving(no gun). When he broke through to the blue he almost landed on a nice mako. He swam towards it to try to establish control when he noticed something above...2 more makosw eating the chum! Needless to say he made his way bake to the boat carefully. Anyway I just cant wait for my turn?!?!?!?

Hi , Rig ; keep me posted if the trip comes together , sounds like fun . DON'T FORGET TO PACK A CAMERA !!!;)
Having said that ; it's a jinx for me to take one on a trip ; never spear anything worthwile :(
Stay clear of the makos :D

hi

Rig congratulations on finding a buddy, I have no such thing as a buddy to do freedive training with. Yep everything alone sometimes I get my sister to keep an eye on me. Went spearin on Saturday to test my 150. Shocking day vis was 8ft, raining and cold what a crap day. My gun shoots awsome I guess around 20ft I couldnt really tell cos the vis was 8ft, but I guessed by how much shooting line it took out. Oh well cant wait to get out to the reef to dive some good vis.

cheers

I hope everybody had a good weekend and shot some nice fish.

Thanks Murat and DogMatrix for the congrats on the birth of my son. I got lucky with my wife because I had already qualified for the Worlds before we knew she was pregnant (actually my son was conceived on the night I won the Nationals), so she knew I was obligated to train for it and go.

Iya,

OMER gives me money and free gear (up to a certain amount) as my sponsorship contract. But the money they gave me is really to cover my expenses to Brazil (flight, lodging, ect.). If I went to NC for their tournament, I would have had to pay my own airfare, lodging, food, boat fee, ect. Besides, I'm lucky enough my wife let me go to CA for 2 weeks and then to Brazil for 2 weeks. She wouldn't have been too happy had I taken off to NC for 3-4 days for another tournament.

Scott Turgeon

rigdvr,

I almost forgot, I wanted to tell you about a freediving trip some friends of mine took to a LA oilrig. Total catch = 105, 86, 82, 76, 62, 60, & 30 lb wahoos plus a 130 lb yellowfin tuna. They also got a nice gag. Julie Riffe was on that trip (the 82 lb wahoo was hers). Julie's fish was a woman's world record and the 105 lb wahoo was a men's. The 130 lb yellowfin was killed with a 120cm OMER gun.

You better be careful though, if you start killing fish like this freediving you may never want to put a tank on your back again.

BTW, I don't usually dive 30 ft (it's too shallow for my enjoyment).

Originally posted by sturgeon
rigdvr,

The 130 lb yellowfin was killed with a 120cm OMER gun.

Which model and what band and shaft config did he use?
Is it the same guy who used to kill OMER Alluminium with twin sixteen?

Murat,

Yep, that's the guy. Alvaro Martinez from Guatemala. He came and dove with me in FL a little while ago, he's a good diver. Instead of 2 x 16 mm rubbers though, I think he had one 18 mm or 20 mm band and a 16 mm. What makes the catch even more amazing is that he was using a reel, not a floatline. He got lucky though because when he surfaced he only had a couple wraps of line left on his reel but was able to quickly clip his gun to a fellow diver's floatline who was nearby.

Scott Turgeon

There is a hole on the top of the fish. Exactly Brain area.Did your friend hit it with his speargun or just killed it by stabling his knive after spearing?If he can hit the fish from that area he might be real good diver.

Hey scott i asked you a question in my first thread that related with spearguns. Didn`t nottice?

The question was:

``Here is the another option that fits my spearfishing conditions:

OMER Alluminium 100 with two 16mm power band and Riffe 6.75 mm hawaian euro shaft.

Is this combination works well together or two 16mm power bands is much more for the 6.75mm shaft?

If i use two 16mm power bands on Riffe Euro shaft or OMER 7mm shaft will i lose accuracy since the stock of the barrel is very thin and light weight?

I think if Scott Turgeon reads that he would like to answer since he and his friend who shoot 130 lbs Tuna are using OMER Aluminium.``

Additional: Can OMER`s Alluminium handle can resist twin 16mm?
Do you advice twin 16mm on new alluminium models shorter than 120??

I think the guy Marcello Corneja (sorry if i spelled wrong) probably the WAHOO MAN :D used this config in his 120 or 130 cm Alluminium speargun.Any of you knows what was the model of the riffe that he hold in Riffe`s pic. gallery?

Murat,

I'm sorry I missed your question earlier.

On all my guns, I shoot a single 20 mm band. When I was first getting started with Euro guns I tried all the possible band configurations. I decided a single 16 mm was not enough power for the bigger size fish we have here in FL, twin 16's were too bulky and slow to load, and a 20 combined with a 16 caused way too much kick for my liking. After a short experimentation period, I decided a single 20 mm band was for me and have never looked back since. My guns range from 70 cm up to a 130 cm and all have a single 20 mm band on them. I shoot the new Riffe Euro shafts on my bigger guns (110 cm and 120 cm).

I would think the Aluminum could handle twin 16's since Alvaro had a 20 and 16 on his with no problems.

Alvaro did not stone that fish and lucky for him he was able to clip his gun to a fellow divers floatline as soon as he surfaced from taking the shot. I think he fought it for some incredible amount of time like an hour or something like that. I can ask somebody who was on the trip if you'd really like to know.

Scott Turgeon

Scott,
Dont get me wrong...I would rather freedive than scuba, but sometimes it's just unrealistic. Not to mention that being a newbie to bluewater is tough with noone to dive with. Anyway I've seen all the photos of the trip you are talking about...they went with Capt. Al Walker out of venice...awesome fish. Not sure that I will entirely give up scuba however...just me ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT