• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing On Scuba

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Rigdvr,

I understand where you're coming from and I do have respect for the type of SCUBA diving you're talking about. It's just as dangerous, if not more so than freediving. So, please be careful down there and keep us posted of any monstrous catches you make.

Scott Turgeon

Thanks for the info Scott this is enough for me.I have an other question for you that releated with guns.Guys don`t blame me plz, i know our topic is not a guns but i can not find peoples easily who used so many types of guns like Riffe, OMER, Ra and so ......

Question is releated with Riffe, i am thinking to buy Riffe MT3 i know its too much for our loosy Mediterenian fishes but i just have passion to buy and see how does it shoots.I will use 9/32 hawaian shaft on it with new enclosed track but don`t know about the bands. Is (3) 5/8 bands overload the shaft? Is this congig is inaccurate coz of kick up? Actually i am planing to use (2) 5/8 for it but i wanna know if there will a problem if i try (3) 5/8.I don`t know if 9/16 bands are better than 5/8 in that case.I mentioned that topic in another thread and my opinion and general opinion is (2) 5/8 is perfect. What do you want to say about this?

Another question hehehe:D

Does enclosed track have an effect on accuracy with 9/32 hawaiana shaft? If yes how much will be improvment.
I think only Jay Riffe can answer these harrasing question.:D :D

Murat,

When I used to shoot a Riffe (a very long time ago), I had a Comp. 4. My favorite configuration was 2 x 5/8 inch bands with a 9/32 Hawaiian shaft and a double wrap of shooting line (400 lb mono).

Scott T.

Exactly my chooice.Can it handle 200kg+ Marlin if good shoot replace?Don`t get me wrong i didn`t see one yet.I am just kidding:duh :duh :duh :duh

Thanks dude....

Sven...lets go this spring! I'll make the arrangements if you make the flight!:eek: BTW, have you seen his website? He has a page on www.rodnreel.com go to fishing guides then click on xtreme charters...dont miss the photo album!:cool: Best lump times are Feb. March and April...I'll check on Mardi-gras dates this year and we can make an event out of it...start pactising "What...you want these beads? Well I guess you can have them if....YOU SHOW ME YOUR..." :naughty

Hi all. I'm a die-hard scuba diver and have never free dove. I live in the pacific northwest of the united states where the average water temp is about 45-55 degrees and the vis is anywhere from 1' to 10'. Due to the cold temp of the water it's either a dry suit or a 6mm wetsuit. I don't know of anyone in the area around here who is a freediver, so spearfishing on scuba is pretty much it. I long for warmer temperatures and better vis but I'm stuck with what I have. Rock fish and Lingcod are the choice take around here. It seems like the rock fish are usually hovering at about 30' and the Lingcod are anywhere from 15 to 100'. You really have to look for them because the vis is so poor. Average dive times for me are about 30 to 40 min depending on the tides and the surge. I don't consider it cheating to spear on scuba up here because we would be out of luck without underwater air. Just my 2 cents.

livininthezoo,

I've done the Freedive Spearfishing Nationals twice in N. CA now. Water temp has ranged from 48-53 degrees F and vis has ranged from 4-30'. Even though I never dove outside FL (30-100' vis and 72-84 degrees F) until I went to N. CA, I had no problem adapting to and shooting fish in the harsh underwater environment of your area. In fact, I consider N. CA easier diving than FL because the depths most divers dive over there are so shallow (30-50 ft). I had a friend from FL (Key West) who lived in Alaska for a little while and killed plenty of nice fish freediving up there. You may want to reconsider freediving as you may not be as out of luck as you think. The 2 times I've been to the Freediving Nationals is N. CA, there have been 5 lingcod shot over 30 lbs with the largest being 35.

Scott T.

I grew up freediving and spearfishing in Greece where scuba spearing is an absolute no-no (they can take your whole gear boat or car included if caught). I recently moved to S. Florida and am having a great time spearing without scuba. I think most spearfishermen use scuba in Florida and I guess it is ok just as long as they follow the state laws (which are pretty strict). I love scuba but I never thought of spearing at the same time. It just does not appeal to me. I think that it is a lot more fun to track a black grouper from the surface and spear him in one breath rather than waiting for cold whether so you can spear him when he cannot swim fast.

Frogman;

I agrre with you. You must think you are in heaven if you compare the fishes in mediterenean versus Florida. But not all of us that lucky:waterwork . I just wish you good spearing with no white,tiger,bull,or mako encounter.:D :D

Murat

It is good to see a fellow meditterenean in the forum. Spearfishing in Florida is great fun but don't knock diving in the Med. There is great wall and cave freediving there and with the right experience and training you can land some great fish. Keep in mind that some of the world's top spearos come from Italy, South France and Spain and they grew up going after fish you have in you front door. I guess I am emotional 'cause I miss the waters I grew up in :waterwork. I guess I have to settle for some florida grouper, hogs, snapper and lobster :) :) :)

Yea we(mediterenian divers) are all experianced with dusky and balck groupers:D

Count your blessings, Livin. There's a well worn saying that if you can dive here, everywhere else is gravy.

Much is made of the low viz, surge, low temps and landlords, but if you're like almost all of my crew, including myself, once you get the chance to dive, FL, HI and other warmer, clearer climes, you'll look around and go, "So what?". Different stuff in different places. I will acknowlege though that if I were going to end up someplace better, I's hang my hat, (Not my Superlite17 or Miller) in Palau or off in the 'Sundays. 'Course the outer reefs off Moorea were pretty sweet...

And much is made of the bottom only being 30-80' feet out here. That's because that's were the life is at. Sure if you want to jump 120, happy days, but once you get tired of all that and recieve no praise for being able to do it, come in 50 yds and have at it.

sven DB's No Cal rep

Frogman,

Here's a link to a 60+ member freedive spearfishing club based out of Ft. Lauderdale: http://www.longfins.org/
And if you're comfortable diving in at least 60 ft, you're welcome to come on up and dive West Palm Beach with me on my boat.

Scott T.

Well, I'm still young and who knows? I'm game to try it. Since my reply yesterday I've been thinking about freediving in the places where I normally take air. Hum.... sounds like an interesting challenge. Thanks for the insight. It definitely sounds like a lighter way to travel.

Livin,

I just noticed you're way up north. But that's ok, pretty much anywhere you can SCUBA dive you could freedive that much easier. I know one reason I don't like SCUBA anymore is because I'm too damn lazy to carry all that crap around. I wish I knew somebody who freedives in Oregon, I'd hook you up with them. It's the best way to learn!!!! Hopefully, somebody from up your way is on this Forum and they'll respond.

BTW, average depth for the 4 biggest lings (30+ lb'rs) taken at this year's Nationals in Carmel CA was 21 feet. I had a 20+ lb'r scouted in about 10 feet of water. You don't have to be a veteran or deep diver to shoot nice fish where you're from.

Scott T.

Originally posted by sturgeon
Livin,
I wish I knew somebody who freedives in Oregon, I'd hook you up with them.

I had a 20+ lb'r scouted in about 10 feet of water. You don't have to be a veteran or deep diver to shoot nice fish where you're from.
Scott T.

That'd be our own Grandpa, Cliff Etzel.

And yes, you don't have to be a verteran or a deep diver. LOTS of divers are just lucky.

sven

So what you guys are sayin' is that when you freedive you really don't have to sweat prior to getting in the water??? ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT