• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearo books?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Ah no Surfnspear is sitting on a Gold Mine.:head

I think it's worth the money it's a piece of history.

I have a spare copy of Spearfishing In Britain by Kendall McDonald & Phil Smith.

I have a good selection of vintage spearo books and stories (I really like Diving to Adventure) but still would like my own copy of Delphinius (Dolphin Within Man). It was difficult to get hold of for a while but is now back in print. Anyone by strange fortune having 2 copies of it and wanting the Spearfishing Britain book I'd be happy to swap.

I did read Dolphin within Man but found it hard going within the loan period. It is more of a book that I would like to dip into occasionally. I also would like the quote that confirms men being alike Dolphins and women more alike Sea Cows (Manatees!) rofl :naughty..

So Pav what is your opinion of Spearfishing In Britain ? Do you think it still reflects our spearfishing we have today?

I still refer to the book, in particular the fish species.
Equipment and ethics have changed.... but the fish havn't.

I thought the ethics in the books were pretty much the same as today Pav.

Especially regarding Conger and Wrasse.

I had a quick scan of the Spearfishermans Handbook and Spearfishing Britain this afternoon. I guesse my impression of ethics was based on one photo I recall (which scanning back was not in the spearfishing Britain Book)!! , so a poor comment for me to make.

and your right Wrasse are advised not to be used for target practice by novice hunters! , I should have picked up the books again before commenting!

I stand by my comment re. equipment! ... you wouldn't find me hunting in a pair of speedos!

Cheers ;>)

Very good point about the speedo's Pav roflrofl

It's more about other people i know wearing them.rofl

I think that David Way mentions not using small wrasse for target practice but he definitely has at least one underwater photo of a spearo with speared smallish wrasse.

Speaking from personal experience of those times I do think the ethics were different. Fishing by what ever method was about catching fish (mainly to eat) and there was a lot less talk of being "sporting".

Just finished reading an updated reprint of an old classic book about angling in Guernsey. One passage still left in says fish should only be killed for a purpose and gives the example of "used for pot bait" as well as for "angling bait" and finally for "human consumption". Not quite on board with the 100% catch and release practiced by some present day anglers but jsut considering that you needed to kill fish only for a purpose was a radical idea in its day. Incidentally the book lists some impressive mass slaughter of fish in angling competitions, which were the norm back then (a bit like spearo comps of the time).

So whether it's implicit or not in those old books I do think ethics have changed in line with much in society.

Dave

Reactions: Mr. X and Pav
I thought Pav's original post was prob. right about ethics. Was surprised OMD thought fish were mainly for food then, with more talk about sport now - but then, mentions the big fish slaughters than used to take place for competition! (Which several forum members have previously mentioned, not least OMD). By sport, I guess he means giving fish more of a chance.

By the way, I know a person that thinks catch and release is cruel and should not be allowed, let alone encouraged. The rational being that you shouldn't play about with animals in the wild. Hunt them & eat them or just let them be. She also thought it was rather aimless (& therefore a waste of time/energy/resources). It's not a position that I feel strongly about but apparently others do.

Another thought about catch & release: is this just another empty gesture? I mean, watching a conscientious angler release the fish that he spent an hour or two catching probably warms the cockels of somebody's heart but is it just distracting people from the real issue: the pair of trawlers in background vaccuming all life up off the seabed?

Last edited:
Reactions: dave
Though not about spearfishing a great read was "Blue Water Gold Rush", It is about the pioneering of the urchin fishery in California. Entertaining and fast. I'd certainly recommend it.

Though not about spearfishing a great read was "Blue Water Gold Rush", It is about the pioneering of the urchin fishery in California. Entertaining and fast. I'd certainly recommend it.
What do they use the urchins for - Japanese restaurants?

yeah though the california urchin market has really tanked in the last several years, there was once huge demand in Japan for Uni, or the Sea Urchin Roe. Heh being both a diver and Sushi chef has its perks. Random knowledge.

Madmox

Hiya

Bluewater Hunting & Freediving by Terry Maas is considered to be the AUTHORATATIVE book on Blue Water Hunting. Even though it might not be that applicable to your type of hunting, it DOES make a GREAT read!! I simply loved the little anecdotes all over the book!!

Len Jone's, Encounters with sharks , dolphins and big fish, is more like a biography. Tells you about how he started catching sharks off the wharf in Durban on to his spearfishing endeavors. Not really an instructional book, but a GREAT read on days when the weathers too bad for diving!!

Similarly, the Last of the Blue Water Hunters by Carlos Eyles, is also a GREAT read for a bad weather day!! Like Dave said, maybe a bit "hippy" :D

Regards
miles
Well I finally got around to reading Len Jone's, Encounters with sharks , dolphins and big fish.
Great easy reading, I especially enjoyed the first few chapters on rod fishing!

May I remind forum members of my own book"Dive Free"published in 1998(cover price £15) which you can see on both the adrenaline website and that of Kostis Manassis. I am letting folk have it for £7 including uk postage so if interested see "goods for sale".

Just found this thread - some interesting books out there it seems, Blenny do you have any copies of yours left!? - If so I would definitely buy one from you.

I have read 'No sharks today' and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tried hunting around for 'Spearfishing in Britian by Kendall McDonald & Phil Smith' but it does seem a bit pricey at 29.99 for a used copy.

Does anyone know where I could find cheaper?

Cheers

Ryan

There is 1 on ABE Books for £14.99 + postage if that helps. :)

Sorry buddy. I should have pm'd it. I was suprised they only had 1 listed when I searched. Hope it wasn't poached :confused:

I will keep my eye out for you. I often search for spearfishing books and I swear not long ago there were a shed load on ABE and most were priced £10 - £20. You always get the silly sellers when there is only 1 listed who put it on for £100s! , especially on amazon. My dad once wrote a book on Onions :head and saw that on amazon for over £100. My dad has several and can sign them if interested rofl

Ex library copies will be cheaper.

Spearfishing Handbook by David Way is much better in my opinion and focuses on the UK. Don't confuse it with other books of the same title. Had a quick look but can't see anything 2nd hand at the moment.

My favourite book on my shelf is "Surfing in Great Britain by Carl Thomson". Long out of print.

If I could find a cheap copy of Dolphin within Man / Delphinius? .. can't recall the title exactly I would get a copy. I borrowed it from the British Library and enjoyed reading it. Lovely bit in in which refers to women as being alike Sea Cows (Manatees). I would like to photocopy and frame that for Valentines day :inlove

Sorry buddy. I should have pm'd it. I was suprised they only had 1 listed when I searched. Hope it wasn't poached :confused:

I will keep my eye out for you. I often search for spearfishing books and I swear not long ago there were a shed load on ABE and most were priced £10 - £20. You always get the silly sellers when there is only 1 listed who put it on for £100s! , especially on amazon. My dad once wrote a book on Onions :head and saw that on amazon for over £100. My dad has several and can sign them if interested rofl

Ex library copies will be cheaper.

Spearfishing Handbook by David Way is much better in my opinion and focuses on the UK. Don't confuse it with other books of the same title. Had a quick look but can't see anything 2nd hand at the moment.

My favourite book on my shelf is "Surfing in Great Britain by Carl Thomson". Long out of print.

If I could find a cheap copy of Dolphin within Man / Delphinius? .. can't recall the title exactly I would get a copy. I borrowed it from the British Library and enjoyed reading it. Lovely bit in in which refers to women as being alike Sea Cows (Manatees). I would like to photocopy and frame that for Valentines day :inlove

Cheers Pav bought it good work on finding it thanks for the PM, I will now be keeping an eye out for the spearfishing handbook and Dolphin within man - sounds like a good read!

Cheers

Ryan

The Lonely Sea - An amazing story based around a spearfishing comp. It may have already been mentioned? I guesse there may well be people on the forum who expereinced it 1st hand.

One of those books that you read in a few days as you can't put it down.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT