• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spooo-raaa-suuuuub!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I just got a pair of these Saturday. The construction seems solid to me. They have good and bad points. I plan to write out a full review. The footpockets are awesome.

My thoughts on the Revolution fins.

I was kind of anxious to try these fins. Then I asked Kurt a question about them....my interest faded a little. Then I read a review on the HSD forum. Well, crap, maybe they are not going to be such a great fin. I got caught up in what I was doing before Freedive-A-Palooza and forgot to get a pair. I did manage to have a pair sent to a shop up in Black River Falls and decided to try them myself. I came close to the same conclusion as the review i read on the HSD forum. However even when I first put this fin on I was not thinking of anyone's reviews or comments. I loved the look of the fin and was hoping that I would find these work great for me.

The footpocket had plenty of room, the biggest I've ever used. It was awesome! A fin that will fit me!! Man it is comfortable. The three velco closures, you can fit them as snug as you want. I was impressed.

Swimming with them, I could feel how soft they were. A smaller person may not have an issue with this. Still need to see what they will do for depth. I did some shallow dives and along the wall to get an idea of speed. Then time and number of kicks to get down to the 35' ledge. I thought they were a little slow. Too soft. I put my Rekords on to do a direct comparison. I won't give up my Rekords for them yet. Then I tried a pair of Gara 3000's. Then back to the Revolution. I thought the performance was equal on the two fins.

After hearing everyone else comment I started thinking about the fin. Can it be better for the money? Price wise is it worth the difference in price to step up to this fin? I concluded that overall it is a good fin and it has it's place. Whether the price is good or not is up to the person paying.

I see it as a good fin to take to 50ft. I know you can go deeper than that with them, but there are better fins for those depths. I will have to try the fin more, but I'm guessing the softer fin will be fine in shallow water and you can relax while maneuvering around. I can see the speed being good for stalking. Small light kicks for slower gentler movements without over exertion.

Thoughts on improving. I'm wondering if side rails through the middle of the blade would help. Also a stip of fiberglass or carbon on the back, down the center "rib" to add stiffness. That may lead to a bad warping outward to the edges though.

The thing I would LOVE to try (if money was not a factor) would be to get another set of these blades and a pair of Rekord blades. I would cut the plastic blade off the lug that goes to the shoe. Then mount the Rekord and sandwich it with the lug and the shoe. Then mark the fiber blade and then trim it up.

Last edited:
Size 46 Chris got is really large. I wear 46-47/US 13 shoes and this one still had a little room barefoot. Sporasub shoe is very comfy and angle on this blade is huge, almost wanna say crazy - 26.

I will have video of Chris swimming with them coming soon, I only had them on my feet, didn't swim with them but based on Chris's comparison to the softness of Gara 3000 they seem to be too soft for me. I wish there was Carbon version blade in this price range, looks like Sporasub might have a problem selling $400 plastic fins...

I have video of a couple of different people using them. I tried them, but I only have a size 43 foot. I wore my 6mm socks with them and clamped down on the straps. they were a little loose, but I got the idea. It would have been interesting to see how they would have worked with my exact size, as there would have been less slippage, but I was happy to be able to try them out.

The blade angle really is too great- and I have stiff ankles and love lots of angle in my other fins. This was a bit too much of a good thing. I don't know how they came up with the 26 degree angle number, but about 1/2-3/4 of that would have been much better. The lack of side rails made them very easy to scull and frog kick with. Straight on flutter was not so good. It wasn't as bad as some flat, no angle, fins that I've tried- just not as good as other things in the market.

For $400 I'll stick with what I have. I think if they re-work the blade angle, and come up with a carbon blade, it would be worth at least $100 more than that, but $400 for a plastic blade fin is a bit much. The shoe works great, even two sizes too big, and I see it as having lots of potential. I didn't notice any extra drag that would slow me down- but that could also be because of the excessive blade angle that was working against me. The fact that a fin could be passed back and forth between Chris's size 47 gunboats and Ted's size 41' elfish feet and that's a lot of adjust ability to play with. There would be no reason to have to buy summer and winter fins to go back and forth between 3mm's and 6mm socks.

Jon

So far I'm not sure what I think of the angle of the blade. I'm curious to see the video you shot on the surface and swimming. Overall I like the fins. But they are not a "multi-tool" with the current blade. Spearing in WI, I would be completely confident in wearing these and comfortable all day with bare feet, 3mm or 5mm socks.

funny you mention your dream fin being these fins with a carbon blade, i'm in the proces of having a local manufacturer look at building me a pair of medium stiffness carbon blades to mount in these fins! havent had a chance to try the fins in the water yet but have never been a huge fan of plastic blades in the first place so carbon itis! hopefully the guy is willing to build them for me?

DD

hello again

is one speargun barrel made of HF or normal alumonium ?

and can it take 2x18?

I think it is (HF).
For the set up, ask Diving Dane and Strangelove here on deeperblue. They have the One and love it.

Reactions: Mark Laboccetta
Been meaning to share this review I composed about the Sporasub/One line. It sounds like an article because I wrote it for some magazines.

MYSTIC/BREEZE

The Mystic is one of the nicer masks to have been released lately, for which freedivers were certainly in mind. Its internal volume of 130mL definitely qualifies it as a low-volume mask. As mask volume is decreased, peripheral vision tends to suffer---not so with the Mystic. By keeping the lenses extremely close to the eyes peripheral vision is maintained, or perhaps even increased over that of conventional masks. Connecting the strap to the mask are rotating buckles, a feature enhancing fit and comfort which is not found on many masks. Both the mask frame and skirt have a non-reflective satin finish, to minimize distracting light around the periphery of vision.

Further attention to detail is represented in the Breeze. The tube is actually composed of materials of two different densities, stiffer in the lower section to minimize vibration on ascent, and softer in the upper section to allow bending in case you're in a tight spot. The contact areas of both the Mystic and Breeze are constructed in comfortable silicon, and fit well.

GREEN MIMETIC

Sporasub's camouflage lined wetsuit is the best suit I've ever used, and this is coming from someone who has used all of OMER's recent releases and even some Elios custom suits. The secret seems to be in the tightness of the cuffs, which completely restricts any intrusion of water. I get cold very easily, so I usually have to wear at least a 5mm top, even in Hawai'i''s "balmy" water. I couldn't believe that I could stay perfectly warm in the 3mm Green Mimetic. The extra tightness of the cuffs becomes apparent when you try to take the suit off---it's not easy to get the ankle cuffs around the feet, but this is a small price to pay for the supremely effective thermal quality of the suit.

It is also worth mentioning that the suit is extremely well constructed. The nylon lining on the outside of the suit is a unique material I have never seen, which seems much more durable than the typical nylon lining found on most suits. It also seems to be less stretchy, which I suspect also plays a role in the suit's impenetrability to water; the material seems strong enough that it is actually providing some compression. In spite of the material's seemingly reduced stretchiness, the overall flexibility of the suit is fantastic; I have no problem extending my arms overhead and I could even see using the suit for competitive freediving.

REVOLUTION

Sporasub's innovative new fin featuring a foot pocket resembling a cycling shoe has been perhaps the most highly anticipated item of the line. The idea of creating a unique foot pocket that grips the feet as tightly and comfortably as possible takes aim at perhaps the most important characteristic to consider in a freediving fin. If this was the goal, there was 100% success in my case. The shoe design with three velcro straps provides a very snug fit, though still very comfortable, even without socks! The rigid composite sole of the shoe completely eliminates the drawback of flexing in conventional rubber foot pockets, minimizing loss of power transfer from the leg to the fin. There has been concern that some of the materials comprising the shoe may retain water and allow stagnation. Sporasub claims that all of these materials are water-repellent, and there are drain holes in the soles of the shoe to facilitate drying. I have yet to notice any sort of funky odor from mine.

If there was one thing not to reward with the maximum number of stars in Sporasub's entire new line, it's the blades that are attached to the otherwise fantastic platform of the shoes. Having been spoiled by OMER's ultimate Rekord III carbon blades for the last few years, I felt like I was taking a step back kicking the plastic blades of the Revolutions. The higher responsiveness of a carbon blade is definitely real, and I don't think any amount of innovation throughout the rest of a fin equipped with plastic blades can trump the performance of a carbon fin. That said, I can hardly say I was handicapped using the Revolution blades; I could still kick up and down to beyond 100ft just fine, but I was just missing that extra snap and buttery-smooth feel that a carbon blade offers. To the Revolution's credit, though, it features the greatest amount of angle between the foot pocket and blade ever seen in a freediving fin. Sporasub claims that 26 degrees is the ideal angle for equalizing the up-kick and down-kick, thus making kicking more efficient. High angle also reduces drag during the glide phase.

Of course, Sporasub isn't unaware of the potential of their fin with carbon blades. I've been told that carbon blades for the Revolution are in the works, which didn't debut already only because of Sporasub's stringent quality expectations; for product testing they developed a special machine to put the blades through continuous use to determine their longevity. When the carbon blade does debut, we can be rest assured that it will be most durable one on the market.

Is there any reason to get the Revolutions in their current form with plastic blades? Sure. For one, the carbon blades, as always, will cost a premium. Also, shallower divers may not gather much benefit from the carbon blades over plastic ones. Shallower diving usually entails more contact with the bottom, which everyone knows can be detrimental for the longevity of carbon blades. In fact, Sporasub designed the Revolutions more with the aspetto diver in mind. There are no rails along the sides of the blades in order to facilitate lateral movement while on the bottom, though there are stabilizers on both faces of the blade near the end meant to reduce lateral drift while swimming, and minimize contact of the blade with the floor. It could actually be worth considering having both the plastic and carbon blades, so that you could interchange them depending on the environment in which you'll dive (plastic for shallow reef diving, carbon for deep or bluewater), thus allowing the benefit of the superior platform of the Revolution shoes for both kinds of diving. Exchanging the blades would be trivial since the Revolution has no rails, just a couple of bolts.

ONE

It is fairly obvious that the One is designed after OMER's HF and HF2 spearguns (OMER is the parent company of ONE/Sporasub), so you can, at the least, expect the quality features, trigger sensitivity and stability offered by the barrel design of the HF/HF2. However, the One improves on the HF/HF2 with several unique features:

- Each of the four lengths offered was actually designed differently (parts, length proportions, weight balance) in order to make each version as accurate as possible, which makes each length a different model in itself.

- Along with the barrel, the muzzle and handle are also constructed in hydroformed aluminum (whereas these were plastic on the HF/HF2). These parts are all chemically bonded together, effectively making the entire speargun monocoque. This extra stiffness should improve its accuracy, and can be felt in the form of a subtle increase in the gun's "solidness".

- One of the most notable new features is the new One reel, which may very well be the most advanced speargun reel on the market. It is vertically-oriented and the stainless steel handle is retractable and can be hidden inside the drum. There is a wide line brake which I've never seen on a reel before, which allows quick modulation of the release of line, as well as protection from tangling. One of the coolest functions is that the drag can be released quickly with only one hand by holding the reel from turning for a moment so that the line tension releases the drag (which happens because the reel winds in reverse), eliminating the need ever to have to fiddle with the drag while fighting a fish and attempting to ascend at the same time. The reel is offered in two versions, the larger of which has a whopping capacity of 80m.

- There is no greater example of attention to detail than the special America shaft that accompanies the One. There is actually a special slide ring which holds the barb closed, which is practical since the gun has now adopted the more favorable Hawaiian setup (barb on bottom) over the Tahitian setup (barb on top) found on the HF/HF2 shafts. Through precise machining away of material from a small region of the shaft under the barb, the ring is actually almost flush with the outside diameter of the shaft, minimizing hydrodynamic penalty. When the shaft hits the prey the slide ring is easily slid back. Due to the special shape of the barb it actually springs out once it has passed through the prey, and keeps from closing back down. This almost unnoticeable but intricate feature increases the accuracy of the shot, and all but eliminates the problem of prey release due to a closing barb.

SUMMARY

The new Sporasub line and One speargun represent an effort to create the most technically advanced tools on the market for freediving and spearfishing. All of the unique features were carefully designed to promote performance, comfort and accuracy. Of course, the R&D and product development/manufacturing required to produce equipment of this caliber necessitates a higher price tag. I don't think that the folks at OMER/Sporasub are out to earn higher margins though. Their incredible attention to detail (such as the One shaft) indicates to me that they are simply passionate about producing the most high performing and efficiently functioning equipment available, in order to give you as much advantage and convenience as possible.

Reactions: ILDiver
Here are some images of the fin-testing apparatus which OMER/Sporasub created in order to test the carbon blades for the Revolution. These are very recent (date on computer screen is 10/5/09), at which point the new blades had been tested for 500 continuous hours without breaking. Testing is continuing.

Reactions: spaghetti
Thanks for sharing Kurt. I can't wait for fiber blades. I love the shoes. The blade just seems a bit soft. I'm taking them to Florida to dive with them more in Nov, around DEMA.

The shoes are not bad, but have a rather large fit - although I ordered my shoe size, I can't tighten them sufficiently even with 5mm socks. I should have bought a size smaller ones. You better try them out before buying.

Also, I am not quite happy about their design - as I mentioned already earlier, the elevated tips create too much drag and eliminate so the advantage of the big angle. Also drying them takes quite long. Keeping my regular fins in my car all the time poses no problem, but this one I have to let outside on the air for at least a full day so that they have time to dry.

The blade plastic material is actually excellent and very snappy - I am not even sure carbon will make them better. The problem is not in the material, but in the shape - the blades feel extremely soft, because they are too narrow at the footpocket, and have no side rails at the root, so the flex far too easily directly at the footpocket. So when you kick it is actually not the entire blade that continuously flexes like it is at properly designed blades, but the blade flexes strongly at the footpocket, and the rest is then inefficient because it gets out of the optimal working angle.

So far I like the concept very much, the comfort and the blade material are excellent, but the drug and the efficiency are rather miserable - much worse than at my old simple plastic Beuchats. Sporasub needs to redesign the footpockets (more streamlined), and the blades (reinforce them at the footpocket) if they really want to pull the maximum from this excellent concept.

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
Trux, you're a world championship level freediver, but still a freediver: these fins are designed for spearfishing.
We can pretty much agree that drag is drag, period. But a spearfishing fin does not generally require a continuous, constantly efficient kick as you probably need in your pool exercise. Spearfishing "finning" is all about jerky acceleration, sudden side movements, wide kicks in ascent from deep, narrow "adjustment" kicks and, most of times, no kick at all. I think the Spora Revo maybe really good for that. Not bought 'em yet, though.
I can't explain any better, but I guess that drag is not such a big concern for spearos.
BTW: Don't you regret not having bought Mustangs or Wahoos instead?

Last edited:
Yes, you are perfectly right about the drag, Spago, and I am aware the fins are actually designed especially with spearos on mind. I'd love though having finally good bi-fin footpockets and fins for competitive freediving. Mustangs are not bad, but first they do not have sufficient angle for me (that's why I liked the Revolutions); second I am not quite persuaded about the concept at the C4 footpockes (but I admit I did not test them myself yet); and third, the price is extreme. After having broken my C4 Flaps rather quickly, I am not ready to spend such huge amount again. I got the Revolutions for a very interesting price - just a 100€, so I do not regret taking them at all. I am just little bit disappointed that the potential that is in the concept was not really taken to the limit.

...and have no side rails at the root, so they flex far too easily directly at the footpocket.

This is the reason for the inefficiency to me. The only explanation I could find for the lack of rails is that they wanted to avoid restricting lateral movement; being intended for the aspetto diver, they wanted to allow maximum mobility while on the bottom.

I am just little bit disappointed that the potential that is in the concept was not really taken to the limit.

This is how I feel too. Hopefully we'll see continued development, but I think comfort will always be their primary concern, being intended for spearfishermen rather than freedivers. There are already other examples of foot pockets that are very snug and minimize drag for freedivers to consider.

I think I'll try adding both siderails, and some reinforcement plate or bars under the root of the blade near the footpocket, to limit the flexing in that place, and let you know if it helps.

This fin-testing seems quite rigorous!

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/7155207]Sporasub Revolution fin testing apparatus on Vimeo[/ame]

On my mind such testing is of relatively little practical interest, because blades rarely break just due to regular kicking. They mostly got damaged when pushing off the bottom, off the wall (if training in a pool), or are damaged due to falls, stepping over, during transport, etc - sometimes they break directly in such way, but more usually you do not notice the damage that is often initially invisible, but gets worse and worse with further use, and finally the blades break.

And following Murphy's laws it always break in the less convenient situation - at the bottom of a very deep dive, when you are diving far away in holidays in a remote location without any possibility to find a spare blade, and without spare pair of fins.

On my mind, the testing needs to simulate also other strains common in the daily use of a normal spearfisher or freediver.

BTW, you can easily see, on the video, how the blade flexes incorrectly - it flexes directly at the footpocket and practically perpendicular to the axis of desired propulsion (or tangential to the direction of the machine motion). So practically the full blade is in the position where its efficiency is equal to zero - and I do not exaggerate with this claim. The only part that propulses is the tiny piece of the blade in the place near the maximal flexing, near the footpocket. The full blade then only propulses you slightly in the point of return, when it gets into the correct working angle for a tiny moment. Most of the time, though, you waste your energy for nothing. Just moving water around (which is only aggravated with the lack of side rails).

OK, in the case of the robot, it is quite clear that the blades are quite overpowered - the amplitude is too high and the movement too fast. But unfortunately, although not so extreme, the blades behave in the same way in real life too. I really do not understand that the engineers did not notice it, because you can see it perfectly on the video. And it is not something difficult to notice - just stop the video in any moment when the fin is in full swing (not in the dead point) and you can see quite clearly that almost the full blade is at 90° to the axis of the robotic arm, flexed directly at the footpocket, hence not creating any propulsive force at all.

I really do not understand that a company with such financial and material means, which can afford this type of testing, that they are not capable of using the means they have, and do not even notice such an elementary fault of design that is visible to everyone on the first brief look.

I just hope they get it fixed with their next model, because I still consider the concept, and the material used for excellent. It would be a great pity if it did not succeed just because of them mistakenly releasing a fin that has a serious design flaw.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I am not in Italy, so I couldn't give them my two cents.

But just to remind people, the fins DO still work. On this day we were diving back and forth to this wreck at 107ft/35m...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…