• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

static apnea training tables

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pbten

Jan 23, 2005
I am very new to this sport, and would like to try the Static Apnea Tables. But i cant find a table anywhere on the net, when i search for it in Google i only get mentions of them but never the actual tables. Does anyone know where i can get my hands on these tables.
And maybe also a few tips on how to use them :)

thanks /peter

I know that at least one set was published here. I can't find it on a search though. If no one helps you, send me an e-mail with your PB static time and I'll get you started. There are many different versions, but until you get to be an expert, it's probably more important to do them regularly than to do the very best ones.
Aloha
Bill

Hello Peter,
I made this tiny Program to train static tables. Have fun with it :D

edit: what the heck.. attachment missing..

Attachments

• apnoetrainer.zip
    298.3 KB · Views: 1,192
Last edited:
Hi Peter :wave

First welcome to DB.net and welcome to the sport of Apnea witch I’m sure you’ll enjoy. If I was you I would start by buying Umberto Pelizzari’s book “Manual of FreeDiving” as this will guide you through all the phases of Freediving, from choosing the right equipment to use a sledge in no limit record attempts, and of cause has something about O2 tables. The book can bee used no matter if you are completely new to the sport or an old “Water rat” and is good for a lot of tips.

Ricochet,

Your tiny program looks like fun, but I get an error message saying that "Component 'Comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not currently registered: a file is missing or invalid" - you couldn't help me to fix that could you?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Some months ago DeepThought had the same problem, but it can easily be fixed. [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=52854#post460659"]My "ApnoeTrainer" (Apnea Software)[/ame]

Good luck :D

Sascha

I can't get your first programme to work but the mini version is working fine. Is it pretty much the same thing?
Also, I am new to apnea. I can hold for 150 ok. Can you suggest what to put in the fields to improve from there.

Did you follow the instruction in this [ame=http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=52854#post460659]post[/ame] to run the first version?

Ok, if you can hold your breath for 150s, it's sure no problem to do a 3min breathhold! :D

Try the following settings:
Intro: 120s (2 minutes to prepare for this exercise, to relaxe, find focus and such stuff)
Breath hold max.: 180s (I'm sure you can handle this ;))
Increase hold time by: 15s (easy going at the beginning :D)
Initial rest time: 120s (Your first rest will be two minutes)
decrease rest by: -15s (means your rest time will INcrease with your breathhold time)
Loops: 5

ive been wondering about static tables... are they more of a measure and indicator of your performance progress based on past results, or can they really help with training and extending bottom times or depths?

I just got a copy of Pelizzari's book. He claims that 1 minute of static apnea equates to about 22 meters of dynamic and about 10 meters of depth. More or less, give or take, with lots of exceptions.

Hehe, whould be great if that where true!

My static PB is 6:07, then I could do a 135m dynamic and dive 61 meters deep :D

Too bad... my PB in dynamic is only 75 meters :(

Who knows, maybe I just need to train dynamics harder or does anyone have some tips for me?

Sascha

It's probably a technique issue, Sascha. I bet you can do it by simply improving technique. There are some qualifiers in the book, but still, I bet you can do it right now under proper circumstances (security and technique) if you are physically fit. Answer the question "what stops you?" and you will be on your way. :cool:
Mark

Last edited:
Technique might be one cause.
I usualy do dolphin kick with longfins (Gara 3000). Dolphin kick, because I find it more relaxing and because one side of the pool is with 1,2m too shallow for scissor kick.

Another cause might be a bad breathup and thus I probably start my dynamics with a too high CO2 level or I just have a bad CO2 tollerance in general. When I do 75 meters, my contractions start at around 45m and their strength increases quite fast.

I experimented with different speeds, from 20seconds per 25meters to 45seconds. The result is almost the same. (Slower is a bit more comfortable and I can 'enjoy' the contractions more)

Yeah, I had my static up to five minutes and never got anywhere close to 50 meters in depth. Seems to me that up to three minutes/30 meters might be reasonable, but so many other factors come into play below those depths...

Maybe something was lost in the translation. :hmm

Last edited:
Hi pbten!

Welcome to Deeperblue!!

you can download a static apnea training table software from freediver.co.uk!

enjoy and train safely!

Said

Ricochet said:
Technique might be one cause.
I usualy do dolphin kick with longfins (Gara 3000). Dolphin kick, because I find it more relaxing and because one side of the pool is with 1,2m too shallow for scissor kick.

Another cause might be a bad breathup and thus I probably start my dynamics with a too high CO2 level or I just have a bad CO2 tollerance in general. When I do 75 meters, my contractions start at around 45m and their strength increases quite fast.

I experimented with different speeds, from 20seconds per 25meters to 45seconds. The result is almost the same. (Slower is a bit more comfortable and I can 'enjoy' the contractions more)

another cause might also be muscle !

an important part of the training for dynamic apnea is finswiming with a kickboard ! when I train dynamic apnea with my fins, I can feel in my upper thighs a kind of strange feeling : as far as I understood, it is lactic acid spreading into my thighs... getting good thighs is a primary objective for dynamic apnea, isn't it ?

Thanks all for the tips, ill try the program and see how i progress. my PB is now 2:05 after 14 days of unorganized breathhold training (improved from 1:05).

Tanya Streeter has published her O2/CO2 tables at http://www.redefineyourlimits.com/?sm_id=2211&sm_nm=Training&smt_id=7&aPost=

They are pretty similar to Pelizzari's tables.

If there is a "standard" recomendation, it would seem to be

1) Starting breathhold times for both CO2 and O2 tables should be about 50% of your max.

2) O2 tables should include a consistent rest period, on the order of 40%-50% of your starting breathhold time.

3)O2 tables should increase the breathhold time 10-15 seconds with each pass, 5 to 8 passes.

4)CO2 tables should maintain a constant breathhold time and decrease the rest intervals 10 seconds at a pass, 5-8 passes. Initial rest period should be about half again GREATER than your initial breathhold, ie. 1' breathhold= 1'30" rest period, 2' breathhold=3' rest period, etc.

Now, I'm a newbie to apnea tables and I could be completely out to lunch on this stuff. It's just a repitition of what I've so far seen, while attempting not to violate any copyright laws. If anybody who actually knows about this stuff wants to jump in and correct me on any of it, please do. I only post it because I'm recieving email requests for help, which is kind of silly considering how little I know about it.

Noel

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT