• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static Challenge

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Tables

Skin, you can find something about CO2 and O2 tables in the thread Apnea Walk & Static trials posted by good old Guss.

tables

The tables are designed to increase your tolerance to high levels of CO2. On the ones I saw, you do eight statics with shorter and shorter breathe-up.
Aloha
Bill

hi

been away for a while but before we left to go camping I did a wet static contraction pb, they started at 2:30 and ended at 4:45 2:15 of contractions a new pb

OK, perhaps this is a bizarre question, but has anyone ever tried to use one of those blue masks for puffy eyes (the ones full of liquid that you put in the fridge) during a static?

Perhaps it would simulate the sensation of cold water on the face that helps the diving reflex kick in...

Al

Not so bizarre

Hi Al,
I use once some swimming goggles full with cold saline solution,
they helped me but the feeling was not a pleasure

I'm grinning like this guy -> :D !!

A week ago my best static was 2 minutes.

Since reading Fred S's thread on static preparation I have done 4 statics and managed 3:00, 3:30, 4:00 and 4:30.

I'm completely amazed :D

Hope you don't mind me writing of my experience, but my wife is about as disinterested as a person can be :hmm

I've thrown together a number of techniques that I've picked up from you experts and it seems to be working...

1. I found the 1:4:2:1 series excellent to slow my body down and get in the groove.

2. Then, the quickest and best preparation I found was doing full exhale warm ups with very little time inbetween (a brief period of hyperventiallation to 'recover' until dizzy and then 2 deep breaths)

3. I continue these until I feel 'right'. Tonight my series was 30 seconds, 45 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 25, and 2 minutes. As you can see it is non-linear and it shows that I'm getting relaxed. Also, my lips are tingling and I read a post from Eric that this was a good sign.

4. I did some experimentation on what to think about when breath holding. I found it too difficult to think about 'nothing', and a slow series (counting heartbeats or sheep) made me think about the length of the apnea and this is something to avoid. In the end I discovered that a mental journey around something was the best. I can look around a car (pressing all the buttons and twiddling all the knobs), or a women's body (pressing all the buttons and twiddling all the knobs!). When I start contractions I can stay calm for a bit and then I find I need some external distraction (e.g. looking around the room I'm in) and then finally at the watch to give me a target to meet.

5. Anyway after a couple of minutes of recovery (again hyperventilation followed by deep breaths) I do a couple of full packs to and finally a full exhale and good deep breath until I'm comfortable, and then I go for the max.

6. The feeling of well being after the exhale warm-ups is astonishing, and I lose time on my mental trip. When I finally start contractions and look at the clock I'm amazed to see the time.

I couldn't have imagined going over 2 minutes and now I ABSOLUTELY MUST REACH 5!!

Ciao

Al

Congrats Al! It's always good to set a PB, yes?
Maybe you could make a resolution for New Year's for a 6' static?
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Thanks for the encouragement Erik. I should really train my wife to be more enthusiastic!

But 6 minutes?!

I've never tried a wet static, but theoretically the results should be better (sometimes significantly so...) than a dry static.

On the other hand some people posting their PBs obviously don't find this to be true.

Are they something you need to practice, or do you all concentrate on getting good dry results so that competitions seems 'easier'?

Al

Me again!

5:42!!!

Woo hooo!!!

I just did all the prep a bit longer than before.

Tomorrow I'll try to to a medium static between the exhale warm-ups and the max.

Are you allowed to count the 'breathing out' time at the end of a static (you could still be underwater)?

Al

P.S. Now I've got a headache...

Reactions: Pezman
alastair inspires

Dude, you are truly an inspiration -- have some karma

wow, 5:42!! thats really good,
i cant even get close,
i find wet statics are much harder than dry statics.

I got a PB of 3:02 on december 29th which is 24 seconds better than my previous static,
I have never experienced contractions.
And after i did the 3:02 i got a really bad nose bleed.

I have been getting horrible nose bleeds on a consistant basis since i did 3 minutes,
it might not be from the lack of oxygen, and i dont really push myself, so i figure ill just have to let my body adjust to it and the nosebleeds will eventually go away.

But i have no clue whats going on, so does anybody know why ide get nosebleeds?

Outstanding Al!
A little hope and belief goes a long way. 6 minutes not so far away then, is it?
Cheers amigo,
Erik Y.

hi

4:30 to 5:40 thats a big jump very impressive. I know how you feel about everyone being disinterested. When I do a static pb and tell my family they usually tell me to shut up or piss off.

cheers

high BP i think...

air4sale,
you're probably having nosebleeds because of high blood pressure. your BP will increase during the static - that's normal and a good thing because it helps you to remain concsious. it's possible that you have a high (too high?) resting BP. doing statics pushes it even higher resulting in the rupture of blood vessels in the nose. i would visit your doctor to check out your BP. tell him/her about the nosebleeds. in the meantime, i would stop doing statics, at least long ones that result in a nose bleed.

alun

New pb

It's been a little while since I posted here, but I improved on my 3:00 best. My new pb is 3:07. :)

Hard to take everything good times

Hello.. I just registred me here and I have been freediving appr. 2 years, with some pauses now and then and I haven't trained every day, 3 times/week only and I find it very difficult to take good times every time.

For a month ago I took PB 4.35 and then i get about 2:50 at best 3 weeks and then again I can get a good result..

Could this perhaps be better if I would train each day, perhaps not freediving/pool training but to make for example yoga exercises 1:4:2 (5 sec inhale, hold 20 sec, 10 sec exhale)

Another question that has been in this thread, empty lungs training..
Do you exhale all the air in your lungs. If not, how much, because I started to use this technique after reading about it and I find it very difficult to take 1.25... :head

Sincerely

Jani Sundman
Finland, Åland

Dynamic PB: 75 meters (without fins, crawling)
Static PB: 4.35

Last edited:
Hi Jani,

I have the same problem! I have been training since the beginning of last summer, and I thought I was making good progress. I got a PB of 4:05, but that was in October and since then I seem to have trouble getting to 2:00 :confused:
I haven't changed my routine, though I don't train on a rigid schedual or really have a warmup, I just do a series of attempts with rests in between until I get tired or dizzy. I don't know what to do to get my old PB back, but I'll definitely try out the warmups on this thread. I find exhale PBs hard because if my lungs already feel empty when I get contractions, they create the feeling of a "vacuum," as though my chest were caving in! So I have a lot of respect for those of you who do this regularly, I wish I had enough discipline! :eek:

Abbie :wave

Last edited:
Just a thought

hi

A while back Eric F was saying how every year he made goals for himself in static and other disiplines and set them at a
fairly high standard. With this in mind and the start of 2003 I thought I would do the same and post them here so I can not forget my progress, so here are my static ones.

wet : 6:15
dry : 6:30

lets see how it goes.

cheers

Reactions: Alun
hi everyone !

This is my first post. I have been monitoring this tread since it has started and now i think it is time for me to start participating in it.

So here it goes : my PB in static is 5:00.

I had some atempts over 5:00 but that nearly killed me so i don't acount them for PB.

And thanks to you all you really inspire me. Thumbs up

hi

Welcome here. Maybe you could set some goals for static like I did and see how we go through the year.

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT