• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

STATIC - what are you thinking about down there?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What do you think about during a static?

• I play brain games

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I sing songs to myself

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I think my way around my body

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • I listen to ambient pool noise

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • Boring stuff - what am I gonna have for dinner?

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • none of your business.. I fantasise

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • God this is hard! When can I breathe again?

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • NOTHING.....my mind blacks out but hopefully I don't

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters
Wow!
As I said,
I think you should submit yer body 4 scientific experiment,
and a few quid in yer pocket!

Ciao

Itchy O'Many Pints to Come Over the Next 5 Days!!!!!!!

HAPPY ST.PATRICK'S DAY EVERYONE!!!!!!!
(for tomorrow)

Naiad

I can't remember if you told me whether you have other reflexes abnormalities or not.

As you know, I also don't get contractions - never have done, but I also have no reaction to having my knees and elbows tapped.

I'm not saying there is a link between the two things, but you never know.

There doesn't seem to be too many like us around.

AltSaint

Ha ha, you can say that again AltSaint - you're a freak of nature :D

See you at the weekend

Donna :)

If you guys have no contractions... how do you know when to come up? how come you don't just samba/BO every time?

I get loads and loads of contractions. You can usually see them if you are my buddy....

Sam

I have seen a lot of references lately to people saying that without contractions "one does not know when to come up". It is beginning to become a very predominant statement around the static threads which unless it is understood, could be a very misleading statement to beginners or explorers. I have even seen people saying that we should not stop contractions for this reason?

What is the reasoning here? I do not see the connection?

I get contractions but I do not see how I could rely on them as my means of coming up clean? Have any of you had a samba/BO yet to understand what relation there is between the contractions and samba/BO?

Just before samba my contractions are.... contractions.

Cheers,

Tyler

I don't think it is safe to rely on contractions as a way of always coming up clean - I don't think there is any 100% reliable way, which is why it is important to have a buddy with you at all times when training in water.

What I meant was that when I used to have contractions, I could almost always judge my condition accurately, but now that I don't, it is much more difficult.

When I do dry statics, I know when to stop when I have either reached a set time or the urge to breathe is too much. In the pool I either try to do a time which I feel confident about, or do longer and hope for the best.

The fact that I don't get contractions doesn't mean that I don't feel any need to breathe - it just means that nothing happens physically when I feel it.

I hope I have explained things a bit better

naiad

HI, Water Rat here,

I gave up the hyperventiling--now that I know better. Just 10 easy breaths in and out--holding on #10....
Up to 2:37--with this method--I count in my head--though--'cause I need quiet to concentrate...and there's usually noise in the house during the day--so I do it at night--in bed--while Hubby sleeps. :)
Water Rat

It's obvious that Naiad and Altsaint are Talking Heads, just feet and heads with nothing in between! Clear scientific explanation for not having contractions! :D

Adrian

Adrian

Did we not explain that earlier? I took up freediving, because soccer was far too dangerous.....

Good question Sam, about when do we know when to surface. If I overdo ventilation and blow off too much CO2, then my only gauge is gone. All I know then, is that so far I haven't Samba'd past 5mins, so if it's all been too easy and I've had the tingles, that's the point I stop at.

I once asked a doctor who was giving me a medical, if I should worry about not having reflexes. He said that it was OK if they were all missing, or all there, but not good if some were and some weren't. ( Still don't know if that's related to contractions or not, though ).

Have you tried tapping your knees yet Naiad??

Hi, Water Rat here.

What exactly ARE contractions?? I thought they were the wiggly feelings in your diaphram when you hit four minutes or so....
NOW I'm confused. I never COUNTED them! I've only had them ONCE--at least in MY memory....on August 21, 1976--with a 4:05.
Need to know more of the proper terminology of the SPORT, if I'm gonna do it PROPERLY. :)
Water Rat

AltSaint

I tried tapping my knees and everything seems to be normal - maybe I have borderline reflexes, as I never had strong contractions.

One funny thing about me is that I hardly ever feel thirsty. I have always been like that - I sometimes used to forget to drink for almost a whole day when I was a kid, and although I would start feeling increasingly irritable and miserable, there would be no precise feeling to tell me what the problem was. If someone gave me some water, I would drink so much that it was obvious I was desperate.

When I did feel thirsty, I went for any reasonably clear-looking source of water, including garden taps, swimming pools and the sea! :D

I don't do that any more!

naiad

It's quite easy to get dehydrated without being thirsty, although it sounds more extreme in your case.

Only other unusual thing for me is my capacity to eat lots without feeling full. ( I mean significantly lots ). I might get uncomfortable a few hours later, but I don't get that 'full' feeling unless I've eaten a truck-full of pies.

Donna's right - I'm a freak of nature.

No I don't get that full feeling either - thats why I'm fat!!!! :D :D

As to what I think about down there - well I'm not normally face down for long enough to think about anything much, but when the pool's cold at Richmond - a nice hot curry....yum!!

HI Naiad, AltSaint, Donna,

Boy, I got reflexes up the ying-yang. To sound, especially. I have very sensitive ears...doesn't take much to make me jump.
I used to not get thirsty easily as a kid--but I never got sick from it--that I remember. Psych drugs have screwed me up in the hungry and thirsty categories--Zyprexa made me so obsessed with food, I gained almost 100lbs in a few months. Seroquel made me able to throw down two large bottles of water, back to back--and still feel like I'd been wandering alone in the Sahara desert for a week--they were HORRIBLE DRUGS--I'm not on either now--and I eat and drink normally. And have lost 55lbs, so far. :)
Water Rat--wanting to get back down to 115 or 130 (lbs) or so....

Hey I like that word - bioprene. Sounds so much nicer than that F word - almost sounds like its ok to carry a few extra pounds!!! Anyway, I can't lose too many pounds, my new suit won't fit me....

Well done Water Rat 55lbs is a massive loss.....

Hey Donna, remeber that a suit can be easilly made smaller :)

And it is ok to carry a few extra pounds, just look how other sea breathing animals are build. A dolphin has about a 2cm layer of fat. The advantage of fat is that you'll need less suit. The second advantage is that this natural suit is not compresseble, so you will not lose as boilancy as one with a suit would! A warm freediver can also stay much longer under. So being skinny is defintely not a big advantage.

intresting link http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5168/aat/leaflet.html

Thank you Kars, you've just made my day :)

I must be a dolphin :D So, when I finally master this breath holding lark, they'll be no stopping me!

See you at the Saltfree British Nationals??

Donna :)

Thanks, Donna, Kars, :)

LOL! 130lbs instead of 115??? Just not 236!!! I'm only five-foot-three!!!! Weighed barely 100lbs soaking wet in High School....
Hubby's gonna buy me my new suit TODAY. :)
Saltfree British Nationals??? (DROOL, DROOL)
Water Rat

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT