• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sunday- December 9th CARP SPEAR-O-RAMA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will you be able to make it to Carp-O-Rama?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whopperhead

Wisconsin Speargun Hunter
Mar 2, 2007
Alright guys- How's Saturday December 8th Sound? I Figured we could try the OUTLET. If for some reason The Outlet isn't on We'll try Lake Mendota. I will post a address of the Outlet later. I figure we'll meet there at 10am.

Last edited:
Scott,

Sorry, can't make it on Sundays...but you guys have fun...I hope the outlet is on!

Gene

I would of done the 8th, but I work, Plus my Wife is in a Class, So, I get to watch the kids all day. I usually go to church on Sunday- but, I'm taking a pass on that sunday to "destroy Evil" aka=CARP. "An Evil is upon us, I will STRIKE Thee down with Great Vengeance, and you will know my name is the lord" 2 Parentheses something something.

Last edited:
After talking with my sister-in-law- I think We can do it on Saturday the 8th. Anyone interested- let me know.

In my best young Michael Jackson voice.... I'll be theeeeeerrrrrrreee (<-- pitch inflections included). Let me know if it's a one or a two day affair!

That's up to you- you could stay at my place if you want and we could try another lake on Sunday- as long as it's not froze over- Or hit the Outlet again-

I'll try to get there also, it should be a good test for the wesuit I just finished making. I'll need to ask my wife first. Also I should be able to check out the staus of the outlet after work the day before as it's only 2 miles away.
Later,

Brian

Saturday is going to work out better for me if we can do that. As of right now I have a NAUI CPR/First Aide class that Sunday. The class is not set yet, if it does not go I'd like to spear 2 days.

Looks like a good little group. Bgill, I know you have your 5mm Diveskin ordered and it will be here by then right!? :)

Hopefully I'll have my Hawaiian sling carved and ready to go. Mori sent me 3 pieces of scrap teak, my slip tip and a 7mm shaft. I need a shaft for the Hawaiian Sling, but I may make that myself.

Bgill - what suit did you end up ordering???? I think my Bro is coming also. Just not sure how long he can last in the water- we'll see.

The outlet still sucks- water is almost brown there. The rest of the lake has some clear spots. I run by it a few times a week and the powers been off with nothing to see. Vis seems to be worse there than other places just a couple blocks away- like the river, which is crystal clear right now.

Mendota is the place to be right now. I was in for 2+ hours yesterday and snagged a dozen decent sized crappies. There were carp everywhere, but I couldn't be bothered with fish I won't eat.

In the last two weekends that I've dove there, I've only seen one boat- everyone must be deer hunting right now. I ran across plenty of bass, northern, panfish, carp and even one decent sized sturgeon.

Water this weekend was 46F. Last weekend it was closer to 50F. Vis was better last weekend, but it's still good for local lakes- above 10'. Everything to see is hiding in the weeds right now. That means leave the long gun at home and bring out the little stuff.

Jon

Last edited:
That platter of fish - Looks REALLY GOOD! I figured if the OUTLET was a "no go"- then we would try Mendota, or another lake. We still have a few weeks to go.

Did'nt order the wetsuit yet... Wifey says I have to wait until after new years...There is SO much to spend money on right now with the Twins coming soon...Christmas..& Taxes. Besides I have to shed the 10 pounds I put on when my wife came home from S.A.!!! By early early spring I should be "good to go" with the new wetsuit...And the weight! Probably gonna get the diveskin suit due to cost for now.
Maybe in a year or two I'll get an Elios or two!

I don't know how long I'd last in (Mendota) with the wetsuit I have now...I also would need gloves. Is "the outlet" a warm water discharge? If so "how warm" is it usually? Maybe I could do it? I'll "play it by ear."

I might not get out again til spring as far as freediving goes. Unless "the outlet" is over 50 degrees But I do have access to a private indoor pool now. Atleast I can try out my new fins and practice dynamics and statics with close supervision (a friend) over the winter months.

Do you guys think a dry wetsuit (not a drysuit) under some pants and a jacket would keep you warm on the ice? Like if I wore it icefishing? Just thinking that if I fell through the ice it would buy some time...The shock of the cold water would'nt be as bad, plus it would give you floatation.Sure I'd look silly....But I don't care how I'd look I'd just like to be SAFE and WARM! I do enjoy icefishing. Think it would work?

Whopperhead..What was the temp in Lake Michigan on the day we discoverd someone lost thier prop on Texas Rock? I was cold but I could handle it...Just wondering!

Nice to see Jon is posting again...Always a good read...Not to mention the great pics...Nice to see you back Jon! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: island_sands
Lake Mich was 47 degrees that day- The OUTLET when I tried it out last March- Where the WARM discharge pipe is was about mid 50's- And that wasn't real close to the pipe either- that was 20 - 40 yards away (the Muskies Freaked me out) - I have extra 5mm gloves if you need to use a pair- My Bro is going to try it with us and he's just using a 3mm neoprene- I also have an extra hood if anyone needs it. I just hope its "On" and going - by the 8th.

IF the discharge is on I WILL BE THERE!

Keep me informed!!! Thanks! :t

Just in time for Christmas.

I am in. Either day, any lake as long as there is Carp.

This time I won't let You throw it away, my friends will be happy!

Nostres - your friends will eat the carp? Have they eaten these big of Carp Before? This will be cool- we should have about 6 or more people there- So Far.

eating carp out of monona is not recommended
last I heard mendota is still ok but you should check the dnr advisories

An up-date on Lake Mendota, A freind of mine went diving (scuba) in Lake Mendota this weekend and CLAIMED the visibility was around 25 feet and that he saw a lot of fish. If this is true and the conditions hold up for the 8th, then we should have a descent time.
Later,

Brian

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT