• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sunday- December 9th CARP SPEAR-O-RAMA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will you be able to make it to Carp-O-Rama?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The OUTLET is almost 20 degree warmer - I hope you can kick that *cough*

well okay maybe not sexy but hey i looked good in my new suit i just got first time in that one i love it spetton 5 mil open cell i mean heck it was about 29 by the shore so it was cold on my hand but not my body

This weekend is looking sketchy. you guys are getting light snow, no big deal. They are talking freezing rain down here. I plan to come, but if the weather is too bad...we'll see.

I went walking today near Lake Monona (south shore) and notice that ice is stating to form so I'm guessing that it's going to be cold. also what days are we planning on ? both Saturday & Sunday?
later,

Brian

you guys dont start getting scared /just joking but ill see ya there k

I figured we'd do Saturday for sure and see how it goes- and if people want to go Sunday also- I'm up for it - Sunday weather-wise looks to be worse than sat. We'll see how it goes

Last edited:
i am still going i guess its up to whopperhead(scott) lets me haha i am up for two days if you guys are i have to get in as much time as i can in the water so if you guys are up for two days then lets do it huh i have to learn some how right and what better wy then to have a bunch of you teach me how

I plan on meeting at the address I posted earlier- Actually at the "PARK" across the street from the address- at 10am. Unless we get lots of ice in the morning- I plan on being there with dotey - if anyone is unsure on how to get there- PM me maybe we can meet at a easier location before 10am.

i havent seen any ice in the forcast so i think we should be good but i know iL i think is going to get ice so keep us updated on that

I'm not gonna make it guys....Well, most likely not anyways. My wife and I just got approved for a home loan the other day...At very good rates...And fixed ofcourse...Me & my wife are tired of GIVING our money away every month to pay someone else's mortgage...Soooooooo it looks like I'm loadin' her in the kid in the van tomorrow mornin' so we can "go look" at a bunch of homes she has picked out on online realty sites. Thing is - is that she can't even get outta the van really! She's supposed to be on "bedrest" because of "the twins" but she insist we do this NOW to weed the places out we don't wanna look at more closely later on in the spring...

I guess it's pretty important...But really I think she's just tired of having to laze around the house all day so pregnant and on bedrest!:chatup

Anyway...Have fun guys...I hope someone tries to get themselves a fish fry of panfish... I know I would've if I could've! I hope Nostres gets a Christmas carp or fifty for his friends...I'd only take small ones for that If I were you though Nostres. They say the bigger carp have too much PCB's (Chemicals?) in them.

Take lots of pics, be safe, and kill them squishy carp! Oh...And TRY to stay warm...S'pose to be a high of only 18 degrees! Brrrrrrrrrrr thats pretty ccccccold!!! Sorry I had to kinda "wuss out" on this one! No way would I had missed this if I had a good "open cell" wetsuit though...By early spring....I'll have one - An "open cell" for sure..

Last edited:
yeah..........I'm out for this weekend too. My current setup won't do........will post when the new suit is in in a couple of weeks.....

bgill......we just went through the same thing and closed on a house last month. It's a good time to be a buyer!!

Well, I made it home. 4 carp and 2 Crappie. I wasn't going to shoot ant Crappie, but my first shot was on a carp and went clean through and struck a crappie and went clean through it as well! A twofer! I shot two more carp, then had a dry spell so I shot another good size crappie. I closed the the day with the fourth carp. I could have taken the Hawaiian sling and gotten about 7 or 8 Crappie in the 8" range and a few good gills. There were two NICE muskie hanging at the outlet and one bass just back a little bit staying at his rock. Every time I circled back into the outlet he was there at his rock, prolly picking off the little crappie.

We spent 3 hours in the water, the last 15 minutes it was getting cold. But getting out of the water was the worst part! Overall it was a good time, only a little bit of pain there at the end. 5mm gloves and booties would have been a hugh help. I need to modify my footpockets. Prolly will when I get some Omer Rekords, then mod my Milleniums for cold water and 5mm socks.

Good times, good times.

It was cold outside! 8 degrees F. But 4 troopers made it: BJPete, ILDiver, Whopperhead & dotey. Some uncontrolable things prevented BJPete from diving today- but the rest Ready & Willing to SLAY some CARP. :martial

The water temp at the entrance was 30 degrees, but as I worked my way up closer to the discharge pipe it got warmer 40 degrees and warmer to a BALMING 54 degrees ;) As soon as I got to the warmer water (without speargun in hand) I was seeing FISH EVERYWHERE! CARP, CRAPPIES, BLUEGILLS, and some good size MUSKIES. Oh, and as many ducks as one could want. I hand my hands full trying to get some good video of ILDiver & dotey shooting carp, the problem was the viz was pretty bad- For the most part I'd say 6' - in the good areas I'd say it improved to 10'- So, it was tough shooting:head After awhile, I took the speargun from dotey as he wasn't too comfortable shooting yet and didn't want to shoot the wrong fish. I ended up shooting 4 carp- I got 3 of them actually in the colder water away from the discharge. All in all we had alot of fun- until we had to get out- MAN was it cold! Again I had a heck of a time trying to climb the hill - I must of fell and slide down at least 5-6 times :crutch dotey got a kick out of it though. After I thaw I plan on returning- hopefully to clearer water- Maybe in a few weeks.

Attachments

• PIC_0101.jpg
    PIC_0101.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCN00272.jpg
    DSCN00272.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 151
  • PIC_0090.jpg
    PIC_0090.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCN0029.jpg
    DSCN0029.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCN0028.jpg
    DSCN0028.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 151
A few more pics from the OUTLET 12-8-07

Attachments

• PIC_0105.jpg
    PIC_0105.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 156
  • PIC_0093.jpg
    PIC_0093.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 155
  • PIC_0097.jpg
    PIC_0097.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 153
  • PIC_0088.jpg
    PIC_0088.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 162
  • PIC_0100.jpg
    PIC_0100.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 165
the last of the pics- there are no pics of me- as There were no shots taken of me- oh well, I will have pics posted of me someday. These are mainly ducks- as there were alot of them.

Attachments

• PIC_0086.jpg
    PIC_0086.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 146
  • PIC_0110-1.jpg
    PIC_0110-1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 151
  • PIC_0105.jpg
    PIC_0105.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 146
  • PIC_0102.jpg
    PIC_0102.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 162
yeah it was a good time even though i cant shoot acarp it seems so i gave my gun up for my hands see i wnt o thecolder water 30 and started diving for bluegill that were to cold tomove and started pickng up the ones i wanted i got about 20 but whopperhead didn seem to think some f them were big enough so i left them for the ducks luky suckers but other than hat i had funfinnally got to work n my diving so it was a good time till i got out of the water but maybe next time you'll all be able to go

I don't think dotey speaks ENGLISH - I think what he meant to say- He didn't get a shot at a carp so he gave me the gun and he worked on his diving and was more of a "watcher" to see how we do it. FYI Mallard ducks don't eat bluegills.

Just got back from diving there.

You guys failed to mention that they now have gates across the outlet so you can no longer swim up the pipe! They must have just put those things in because we have been able to swim up the pipe, and scare out fish, for years.

Vis was less than 6'. Water was around 35F. There wasn't much flow coming out of the pipe today and the ice was in pretty close to shore. The deepest spot I could find was maybe 10' before the surface ice was to thick to break through easily.

I saw a bunch of smallish panfish and one small musky. I speared a bluegill and tried to feed it to the musky, but he took off and I couldn't find him again. After that i got pretty bored and went home.

Hopefully things will pick up a bit more as winter goes on.

Jon

fyi i didnt know that smart a$$ i wanted to bring the fish home to cook but didnt think the old lady would like it if i cleaned fish on are cutting board so i left them for something to eat heck maybe a homeless person will see them and eat them or maybe a duck will get really hungry and eatthem hey i have seen some funny stuff like you lol but yeah i finally got to work on my under water diving i didnt just float around on the top the whole time maybe next time we will have more than one gun for the both of us and ill put one more weight on my belt so i can stay under and not go down then right back up lol (i was like a bobber) then maybe just maybe i will get my first carp and it will be bigger than me one so big it will take three guns to take it down lol sorry i was dreaming there for a min but it will be a big carp then after that it will be on then whopperhead will have to watch out or ill pass him up on his record lol

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT