• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sussex 2015

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

liam98

Apr 25, 2012
New year, new thread. Who will have the first fish of the year??! Good luck and safe diving everyone!

So... If there is anyone left in Sussex whose still keen to get back in the water it would appear we've had a pretty slow year. Viz has been pretty poor up my end of Sussex (Eastbourne/Seaford/new haven). I've recently bought a kayak so I can get out to some of the deeper spots around here and have been out fishing the last few weeks running, the good news is the viz looks like it might be clearing up just as long as the wind doesn't change direction, the bad news is there doesn't appear to be much in the way of fish! Hopefully not long and they'll start coming into the shallower water though!

Nice one Liam, found another spot near brighton thanks to a trawler man. Some rough ground supposedly that they catch lobsters so is marked by lobster pots. About a mile from shore.
Also have a 270 Avon dinghy and outboard for this year if you fancy a trip out.

Looks like it's just the 2 of us on here this year Ashley! Water is clearing up today apparently, a mate of mine is out kayaking right now and he just phoned me up to rub it in my face how clear the water was at high tide. Shame I can't get there for a night dive. And Ashley, I'm always up for boat trips out!

Do any of you spearfish closer to Portsmouth way - I live on the outskirts of Eastleigh and was looking for somewhere closer than the Purbecks in Dorset...

Hi tunny, there's usually a few guys that are around you're area, none of which seem to be on here yet this year! I think there's a few from the Sesley sort of direction.

Hi tunny, there's usually a few guys that are around you're area, none of which seem to be on here yet this year! I think there's a few from the Sesley sort of direction.

Selsey is certainly a lot closer than Dorset, will keep my eys on this thread then, thanks

For anyone wondering I was out kayaking last night and viz has improved massively over the last week off Seaford head area.

Hello chaps just passed my AIDA 2* last weekend which was tougher than expected. Just waiting for some lead to be delivered then be able to start diving. If anyone fancies letting me tag along on an easy dive would really appreciate it as need to get some more experience.

Dived off Seaford wednesday, 3 good size pollack. Vis was ok, about 2-3 meters on the bottom at high tide. Just pleased to get wet!

Cooked up a load of fish n chips for a few mates with the pollack!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 168
Reactions: foxfish
Hey, Liam! Where do you dive in around Seaford?ive been to Seaford/Newhaven several times but from the shore water conditions always looked like cuppa 0 viz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately poor viz is something we have to deal with! Anywhere from Seaford head to Newhaven is dive able just got to get wind and tides working together for a few days before hand.

When you say on the bottom(say at high tide) you mean like 10m deep?

Seaford is the deepest water straight off the beach out of all my local spots, depending which end you dive, the East end drops down to 8-12 meters at high tide in no time at all, doesn't get much deeper than that until you're a good few hundred yards out. Then you have to watch the tide pushing or pulling around the headland. The west side is much shallower but a lot less features and I've now suffered quite a few ear infections down that end probably from the river coming in. Also watch out for the ferry!

Was out again on Tuesday and viz was about 2 inches at best!
Unless conditions are perfect no point diving low tide.

And one other thing, watch out for the fishermens nets! They're everywhere and plenty that have been cut and left on the bottom, also noticed on tues that they've very kindly put a net most of the way around the rock that I caught the pollock so can't imagine there's much fish left there. The commercial guys love raping our inshore waters...

Thanks Liam. True dat but isn't there a 200m from the shore rule for commercial fishermen? Btw, ear infection advice from old school scuba guys is couple of drops of olive oil in your ears before you dive in

Couldn't say what the laws on commercial fishermen is but I'm normally well over 200mwters from the shore!
As for the ear drops I use earol, it's an olive oil spray and it's great, but my ears have always suffered unfortunately.

Hi guys. I'm new to spearing and slowly accumulating my set up. My family are from East Sussex so although in London I want to check it out. Glad seaford is work a look (or perhaps not if the fishing detritus is an issue) as Brighton peer sounds way out of my league!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT