• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sussex 2015

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi guys, I'm heading down to newhaven for 5.30 (so in half hour) if anyone wants to join me ring me on 07748801160.

Hi Liam how did you get on? Tried newhaven a couple of weeks ago and there was no vis at all

Hi nick, was pretty average for newhaven, about 2 foot of vis at best, hardly any fish about and nothing worth shooting, was s real low tide which is never good for the vis! Going to try Seaford tonight and hope for the best!

Hi Liam what time you going over to seaford? I live in Rottingdean and want to get out a bit more?

Hi everyone I'm wanting to get back into spearfishing i live in bromley kent and will be out most weekends not to sure where to go been looking on here and thinking brighton round to eastbourne looks good anyone one looking for a dive buddy let me know as I'm always keen

Hi Guys,

Any vis reports over the last few days? Keen to get in the water this weekend!

Cheers

Went down on Saturday and could see a thing. Hope it gets better over the next few weeks.

Were you at newhaven sat morning Gareth? Saw a few guys turn up and look then leave. Guessed they were probs spearos

Hi Liam, that wasn't me. Just ended up in Brighton having fish and chips on the beach and getting a nasty sun burn. How's the vis been lately? Live up in London so battle to get to the coast as much as I would like to.

Gareth brighton has gone flat calm for the first time in two weeks big tides so will hopefully clear it quickly. I will be going in later today, if I have any luck will give you an update.

Hi,
I am Remy. I come from France.
I am going to spend 3weeks in East Grinstead.
I am planning to go as much as possible spearfishing in the Brighton area.

Unfortunatelly, my speargun in down in Devon, so I am looking to purchase another one.
Does any body could advise a good spearfishing shop in Sussex (brighton maybe). Or maybe one of you wants to sell a used 90cm speargun?

I am middle experienced spearfishing and I am mostly used to the mediterreannean. I have much to discover about the ocean although I have been a couple of times in Devon.

I am also looking for a budy, I would be happy to share great fishing moments and possibly good catches.

Thank you in advance for you help.

Remy

Hi remy,
There is no spearing shop in or around sussex, online is best bet. A 90cm gun is way too long for sussex also, the vis is usually poor. I've been using a 70cm gun for years in Sussex and consider it still too long.
Diving around Sussex is going to be very different from what you've experienced in the med.
The vis was terrible when I looked on Monday so there's no rush to get down the beach. Your best bet if you want to get out is to head west towards Dorset. (About 2 and half hour drive).

Hi Liam,
Thanks for the advices. I definitely try to purchase online and a 70cm speargun.
Once I receive it, I will rush to Dorset. I am impatient...

During these 3 weeks, I will follow these threads and eventually post my fishing report.

Thank you again.

Hi,
My first report. Could not enter the sea. No viz or maybe just 50cm (i.e. cannot see the end of the spear)
Today, I have been driving to several places from Brighton to Selsey but the viz was so poor that I could not get in.
Tomorrow, I will try to go more into Dorset. --> Anyone would be kind to recommend me some places where the viz should be acceptable?
Maybe more luck tomorrow. I will update.

Regards, Remy

Check out Dorset thread mate, defo more chances on viz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 cm vis and you didn't dive?! That's a luxury for us guys in sussex! I only normally carry a gun in sussex so I don't dive head first into the seabed, just think of a blind man and his white stick.
I'm hoping the vis will have improved this week as long as wind doesn't pick up, I've heard the scuba guys are getting up to 5 meters off shore so fingers crossed the clearer water will be making its way in a bit.

Quick dive report from Brighton way. I went out on a last minute dive tonight good vis 5-6m. I missed two lobsters first one I hesitated and it shot off into the distance and the second one spotted at the end of my breath forgot to drop my gun to mark where the lobster was holed up and couldn't find it when I dived down again. Hopefully get out again this week but need to invest in a torch ASAP as the evenings are getting shorter.

Do you really dive even if from the shore, the viz seems to be only 50cm? You are expecting that further away the viz would be acceptable? OK, I will try.
Anyway, it looks that the viz is not bad at all. Is the viz influenced by the time of the day (the tide?)? Because Nickwells is speaking about the viz 5-6m but at night. At what time did you go in?

Today, I will try again in Brighton. Anyone going? I would be happy to meet and discuss about the techniques in this muddy water.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT