• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

test pic

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
i will confirm that trigger fish are tasty, we have few here too pretty rare but taste good and they like to bite too, damn bastards...and they are little difficult to skin to..

SB

Its just ribbing dude, you also see some scuba guys with tiny stringers talking about bahemoths of the deep, Scuba isn't as easy as it sounds, and believe me the attitude of hunter can be just as conservation minded and many cool things can be seen beyond freediving depths. If a hook and liner is allowed to drink beer, leave mono all over the reef and target any fish that eats the bait , why not a selective scuba diver, that abides by all local laws.... Guys over there even joke around about speedos and will try freediving if ever in the right situation...
FRA is a great movement... we as a sport we need to stick together because we aren't a very large group to begin with...and we need to fight the big interests that want to shut us down to rape the sea even further.....
PS Trigger are great eating just fillet and skin... taste kinda like lobster....

I agree with some of things ajwaverider said. Some scuba divers in my area do bash freedivers. It seems that part of the attraction they have to scuba spearing is the manliness of it. It really hurts their ego to think that someone can do what they do by holding their breath.

But its really exciting to see the self-esteem they get when the braves ones give freediving a try and find out they can do it without air. There is nothing like a new convert!

Triggers in the Gulf of Mexico are good tasting fish if you can find ones big enough to clean. Do be careful with their front end. One almost took my nipple when it slipped in my hand. It would not let go until I put my knife in its head!
don

Hold on guys I didnt mean to stir up a can of worms. Scuba divers have their own problems in that a fish with half a brain wont go near them, whereas us freedivers have the luxury of being quiet. Each to our own and lets enjoy the SPORT of spearfishing not any misconceptions of how this or that faction are killing it. Its longliners and netters we want to have a go at, not Big C or anyone like him (if indeed he shot those fish on scuba in the first place)
Now a mickey take on scuba divers spearfishing is fine but lets just not forget it still not that easy to get close to fish, and we free divers will probably have a greater affect on fish stocks than any scuba guy!!
Lets live together and enjoy what we have in the sea. Sorry Big C I ment that as a joke not a dig as it turned out

Reactions: Alison
Since we all got past the whole freediver/scuba thing . How do you clean a triggerfish and has anyone on the east coast or gulf coast noticed a lack of fish inshore?

sorr i didn't give story before

sorry guys, but i was just practicing posting pics. i do, however, have time to tell the story now. that was done in the gulf, 26 miles offshore on scuba. it was my first time shooting a speargun. i got 2 on the first dive, 2 on the second, and 8 on the third. all were shot at 80 feet.

now, as for all of you guys ripping me about using scuba, it would be irresponsible to try to spearfish for the first time while freediving and shooting at 80 feet, plus fighting ocean current, avoiding oil rig structure, and not surfacing inside the rig so as to avoid getting banged into the rig. i don't freedive, and will continue to scuba on the rigs because for me, that is a safer alternative. here in louisiana, most uf us dive the oil rigs way out in the ocean where conditions are more severe than lakes, caribbean, or other waters. it is not uncommon for an experineced diver to shoot a 50+ pound fish at 100 feet, get dragged another 20 foot down, and blow most of an 80 cubic foot tank stringing that one fish. believe me, out there, if you wrestle the big fish underwater, you are not doing it on one breath. unless you dive down with a bouy system with 200+ feet of rope, but then thats blue water diving, because the rope will definitely get tangled in the rig with the currents. all of you freedivers are very proud of your ability, but just try freediving to 80 feet, shooting a fish, and ascending with multiple overhead obstructions while fighting a current, trying not to surface behind the boat and winding up floating out to see while a 50 pound fish is pulling you back down. on a buoy system in blue water yes, not inside of a working oil platform. i think i did great for my first time, especially the third dive. first time spearfishing, those first 2 dives i only got 2 each dive because of all the cables and doing it for the first time. first time spearfishing is not as easy as it sounds. big c

heres the fish from the third dive

6 on this line, and one on my stringer. i was starting to get used to spearing by the third dive.

Attachments

• 101_0186.jpg
    101_0186.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 265
hey don..
<<I agree with some of things ajwaverider said. Some scuba divers in my area do bash freedivers. It seems that part of the attraction they have to scuba spearing is the manliness of it. It really hurts their ego to think that someone can do what they do by holding their breath.>>

yep... i think that (even though i aint a spearfisher-person myself) that doing it on scuba is cheating.
it should be made totally illegal everywhere... if you can't catch it on your own strength and capacity, you can't have it.

Hi Big C,

Nice pictures, they contain the whole story into one shot. A picture is sometime worth a thousand words..

I must say I agree with Island_Sands. I understand you have to learn to master your equipment, and learn how to shoot etc.
The thing I don't like is that you fish more then you can eat.
I would prefer to freedive an hour an finally come up with one fish I really fot it's taste and can eat that evening.

The current maybe difficult, but for me it just adds to the difficulty. I would seek out the short still water time(between high and low water), and dive just outsite the pillar allong it. If I could manage I could shoot a fish coming from behind a pillar into his spine paralizing it. Shooting what I can eat means also I do not shoot the biggest fish, so I can win the "stuggle fase" :D easily. Sounds like enough of a challenge to me!

But this is just my attitude.

Kars.

good luck

If some drunk ass fool is allowed to harvest the fish while smoking a cigarette and drinking a beer while cranking it up on cable line why not something alot more selective and face to face. Scuba spearing is legal and not as easy as it sounds. Freediving vs scuba is a touchy subject around here but the real damedge is being done by netters not peole that just enjoy the experience of being on the water.
The only thing I do notice in your pic is your stringer set up. Triggers have a nasty bite and unless strung through the gills and out the mouth and a steel hoop they could latch on and take out a circular chunk. :waterwork
PS don't let attitude s in either camp stop you from doing what you love. Try freediving sometime but make sure to do it under the rigth conditions with the proper buddy. and I guarantee when you shot the first fish while holding your breath youll be just as hooked as you are now. Im sure there are plenty of magrove snapper to be had on some shallower stuff..
good luck

Big C,
Nice fish and its fine if you want to scuba to get them, but it’s not impossible to freedive in those conditions. They are the conditions we freedive in and the problems we face every time we go. Currents, overhead structure, fish swimming into the rig are just part of the game. This limits our catch, but increases the challenge and we consider that fun (maybe we are a little crazy).

Here are some things we do to try and limit the problems:

Currents: The two main problems with currents are line entanglement and exhaustion due to constant surface swimming. To help with limiting entanglements, we dive behind or on the side of the rig, if fish are there. If we need to dive in front, we approach from the side so most of our line and float are to the side of the rig.

To lower the surface swimming we will hang onto the rope tying the boat to the rig, tie some poly rope on a few places of the rig and let it drift back through the rig, or have a boat driver drop us off well in front of the rig and pick us up behind it.

Overhead structure: Constantly checking our position with the structure becomes more of a priority than perfect no-looking dive form. For deep dives we like to get off the rig where we don’t have to worry about it, but sometimes the fish are in the rig so there is no choice. Sometimes we use the legs and supports as structure to hide from the fish while descending and come around to surprise them. When we spear a fish, or when we don't, the first thing we do is recheck our position and look for the obstacles before we swim for the surface. Surfacing with one hand above the head increases the safety and is also more efficient.

Fishing tangling in the rig: This is going to happen, but the idea is to limit it to situations we can deal with. Some times the buddy will grab the float line from the surface and help the diver hall them out. Shot placement is very critical, because even if you don’t stone them, a good shot will usually stun them for some seconds which will help you get them away from the structure before the real fight begins.

The last thing we do is limit the depth of the fish and the number of supports and legs it entangles itself in, by putting some pressure on the float line while we ascend to the surface. Since the float line usually is not longer than are diving depth ability, there is a good chance we can dive back down and pull the fish back through the structure. But when that fails, we keep a pony tank and regulator on the boat. It’s comforting to know that we are not under pressure to recover our gear from breatholding alone.

Happy hunting and sometime when you’re bored with scuba, give freediving a try. Some divers here like to freedive a rig first, shoot the top fish before they get scared by the bubbles, and then put their tanks on and go down.
don

Reactions: Jon
Kars,
I don’t think you are visualizing the kind of diving we do in the Gulf of Mexico. There is no such a thing as going out for a one-hour and shooting a few fresh fish to eat that evening. He went 26 miles offshore, which is about a minimum for me, because of water clarity requiring long trips from shore. This is an expensive, exhausting, all-day trip. There are no protective waters in the Gulf and the wind blows most of the time. It maybe too rough for us to get for weeks at a time.

When we get into fish we shoot as many as the law allows and we are able too. We then freeze and give to our family and friends who are not so fortunate to be able to go offshore fishing/diving. I don’t think Big C is showing more fish than reasonable for his area. I doubt any were wasted. Going out freediving for one hour is only a far off dream for me.:confused: I’m envious of you.
don

I remember when I started freediving, I was against the idea of spearing. Not for any reason other than there was'nt anything that I'd heard or seen that attracted me. ( IE, I was ignorant as to any details about the sport)

There was one comment about spearfishing which was told to me, and it was as if a light had been turned on...I was immeadiately hooked on trying spearing, and I have never looked back. The person with the comment was active in climbing and skydiving, and his comment was simply...

" Of all my sports, I give more of myself in order to spearfish than any other sport..."

He explained that to train, to stay fit, to maintain his equipment and respect for the ocean, to dive to depth on a single breath, stay down, watch for sharks, relax, stay focused, outwit and shoot a good fish and watch his buddies...he gave a lot of himself.

That challenged me, and gave me the spirit to challenge a fish in his ground, on his terms, and I look at it as an honourable thing.

I know nothing about the stresses of spearing on scuba, but for the reasons above, it remains an alien concept to me, which goes against the very reasons I started hunting.
Just my 2 cents worth, no critisism intended :=)

Peace out.

Jeff

Reactions: donmoore
All thats trigger pics makes me hungry:p Can you imagine, you skin it fillet it and fry it in the pan, jjjzzz jjjzzzz with potatos waiting for her on the plate and coca cola pss pssss in the glass and ices floating on top of it:p :p :p :p

wow, you guys are tough on me.
as for freediving, i dont feel comfortable enough to do that with a speargun yet. in a lake with 15 depth and small fish maybe. remember, i still havent shot any big fish yet. i cant wait to find out what a 35 # amberjack feels like. in fact, i dont know if i can even land a big fish on one tank of air. you freediver really need to give me a break, i am new at this remember? as for shooting 8, after waiting 6 weeks for the wind to die down to what turned out to be 2-3 foot waves and ending with 2-4 with an occasional 5 foot roller, the one 3 hour round trip boat ride, and the 6 hour vehicle ride, you want me to do a 3 tank dive and come back with 2 fish! some oy you guys are really acting like jerks. my firt time spearing and shooting 11 fish, some oy you are out of line for ripping me, in my opinion. i guess when you guys go out fishing with a line any you catching fish, you stop after you catch three and go home? give me a break. I think i will take rig diver's advice and go to a spearing board. i never knew that freedivers were so against scuba guys. i just thought that we all liked being in the water. as for freediving the rigs, maybe after i have alot of logged dives and i have a feel for what size fish i can shoot safely. cant wait what you guys have to say about me next. big c

Hey Big C

I do'nt think the intention is to give you flak, people are simply giving their individual opinions of spear fishing. If it was my mail which has pissed you off, I apologise, that was'nt the intention. As I said, I have no experience in deep scuba diving, or rigs for that matter, and that clearly introduces an entirely new source of problems for spearfishing. I merely expressed, for interests sake, why I started spear fishing.

I have found the freedivers far more chilled than many other forums I've visited !! :=)

Cheers

Jeff

Big C,
Jeff said it well. Nobody was trying to rip you. You just don’t understand us yet. Many of us came from scuba spearing just like you, and we questioned are ability to do it without air also. When we did do we it was so fun that we became hopelessly addictive. Now were like new religious fanatics that want everyone to experience too.

Take your thrill of shooting your first fish the other day and multiply it by two. That’s what it feels like when you shoot a fish freediving. You learn and practice all these things, like get a large breath of air, spitting the snorkel out, efficiently brining on leg over and out of the water while dropping the arms and gun, stroking with one arm until the fins clear, equalizing head down, etc., etc.. Then the day comes when you put it all together and you look out after diving down, low and behold there is fish within shooting distance and you nail him. The satisfaction and thrill is unreal!

You don’t have to master all these things first; in fact a lot of people start with shooting just from the surface. But the thrill is so huge that soon you want to learn all the things you can to give you more shooting opportunities.

You have expressed some open mindedness to giving freediving a try someday. That’s great! We couldn’t be happier.

Remember too that this board is an educational board. People from all over the world are reading and hopefully learning. Most of us express opinions or thoughts now and then and find out later we didn’t fully understand the situation. We all are constantly learning and expanding our knowledge base. Along the way we make some pretty good friends and may even get some inexpensive back door guided passes to places we would have never dove.

Also we should not forget that English is not the first language for many members. They use this board to polish and improve their written English, which is something they have to do to keep their skill. They view db as way to work on their English while engaged in a subject they dearly love. The significance of this is we should be slow to judge attitude by their words. Their English vocabulary and especially their knowledge of current slang maybe small (but growing!).

The U.S. and the Gulf of Mexico in particular is also one of the few areas in the world where divers are allowed on oilrigs. Most divers only knowledge is what they read and see from us. Likewise they dive some areas that I can only visualize through their words and pictures.

Big C, feel free to post all the pictures you want on this board. I will enjoy seeing them. If you want to go to spearboard.com I wish you well there. If it doesn’t work out there you are always wanted and welcome here.
don :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kars
Very well said Don! I've given some Karma for it.

Peace and love,
Kars

ps Thanks for your patience too:)
I may have overreacted to preserve the fish, but my excuse is the situation down in the overcrowded Netherlands, which is pretty different. If the diving community over here started spearing, the waters would be empty in about a month... Taking a lobster -while on scuba- cost you your whole equipment, yes they take everything you've brought with ya...

Spearooo's words reflect what I've come to realize... Breath-holders and Scubadoo's are like brothers.... who like to fight a lot ;). But I'll bet that if there was an organization that tried to ban spearfishing entirely, we would soon find that the 90% we have in common is more important than the 10% in which we differ. Like most bickering brothers, we just need a common enemy to settle our differences for us.

Cheers to your catch, Big C.

Ted

Reactions: bluecape
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT