• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.com Spearfishing Hall of Fame.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The O.M.D. F.O.M. Comp' Aug' 2011

White bream 1.01kg
whitebreamFOMentry.jpg

Caught west coast of Jersey in 35feet, at low water, came out from beneath a rock to look at me. For a moment thought it might be big enough to reclaim the British record but unfortunately not quite (record is held by my good friend Cobus and stands at 1.09Kg).

This was the last fish caught on a great fun dive. Went with my friend Louis in my dinghy "Gunfishin" .Big low tide. Fished it dropping. Didn't see any big bass but spent some time looking for flatties. We saw tons of rays. At the end of the dive we had seven species. The bream, two small turbot, two plaice, a sole,a small bass, a nice pollack and two moderate mullet.

Attachments

• whitebreamFOMentry.jpg
    whitebreamFOMentry.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 224
Re: South Devon Report 2011

Trigger Fish 4lbs

Went for a dive yesterday evening looking for Trigger fish in the hope of getting a few on film. I did manage 3 triggers. I shot one in a hole and pulled 2 out. I didnt see the second fish hid in behind the first trigger. It was a lucky shot and ended up the biggest trigger i have ever had,4lbs. I had it all on film.

Attachments

• 4lb Trigger.jpg
    4lb Trigger.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Dorset Spear Fishing 2011

Grey Mullet - 7lbs 8oz

ok

so i popped out for a couple of hours earlier for a quick summer suit dip at a local spot not expecting to see a lot........vis (for Gaz) was fishable and not too bad for the spot and i jumped in. saw a few mullet but no sign of any bass. stuck it out for about 20 mins (its a smallish spot) then decided to call it a day as the light was starting to fade. popped myself onto a rock and unloaded the gun when something caught the corner of my eye...............over in the shallows about 30 feet away i could see what i thought was 2 large mullet with fins sticking up out of the water so i reloaded and started to stealth my way over............20 feet....still nothing.......15 feet....still nothing.......10 feet......'why aren't they breaking for open water?' i thought - gun angled slightly outward. 5 feet then suddenly this submarine just came into focus. i seemed to have forever to line it up. i don't usually take mullet but this was a beaut - really healthy looking,shiny and solid. suddenly all i could think about was how much i'd love to get my hands on that sweet, sweet orca.

i got out straight after and asked a couple of danglers if they had any scales.....sadly the didn't but then a foreign chap came over and offered me his luggage scale! it tipped the scale to a smidge over 7 and a half pounds!!
then i really took the p*ss and asked him to take a picture on his phone and mms it to me........which luckily he was more than happy to do - top chap!!!

sorry about the poor photo editing but i can't have podge all over my spot.

fingers crossed.

ps. only joking podge.....you fellas are always welcome.

pps. its scales were over an inch in diameter!

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 248

Grey Mullet 8lbs 3oz

At last, bagged a jumbo mullet; not the usual torpedo shaped one, but a fat boy!!!

It went 8lb 30z!! View attachment 32601

View attachment 32602

I'll post more pics and details when I get in work. Internet playing up from home

Lee

Attachments

• P9260029.jpg
    P9260029.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 238
  • P9260033.jpg
    P9260033.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 228

Pollock 15lbs 8oz

Here you go Chaps.... Yesterdays dive. I was diving Portland Bill between 17 and 20mtrs for hours, and found nothing, I came back in shallower water, about 12mtrs. I had my head in a hole looking for Bass, when this monster swam over the top of me. I followed it as I could only see it tail, and couldn;t get a shot off. Eventually it turn just enough for me to see just a little more of it. I pulled the trigger and all hell broke loose. The fish ripped the gun from my hand and headed into the kelp, I caught up with it and burried my hand in its gill plate and ripped it out of the kelp, kelp en all came with it, and headed for the surfce. When I go to the top and recovered my breath I let out a yyeeehhhhhaaaa and Paul Smith (Wessex club) whos boat we were diving from came over to look.... his jaw just fell open and he couldn;t speak! LOL

So, one Pollock weight at 15lbs and 8ozs. Thats just 1.1lb short of a British record!

Just for the record I was using my 800 Rob Allen carbon gun, 6.6mm spear and 16mm rubbers

(weighed and verified by Paul Smith) I didn't have a paper, so took a pic in front of Sky telly menu showing date and last nights telly.... no idea if thats any good!? LOL

Cheers
Clive
crystalvis

Attachments

• Fishing 2011 024.jpg
    Fishing 2011 024.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCN1427.jpg
    DSCN1427.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 242
Halibut 83.6lbs

Here you go. The halibut was 141cm and roughly 38 kg :) It was shot at 10-12m depth somewhere in the Arctic.

IMG_0224_web.JPG

Re: South Devon Report 2011

Red Mullet 2lb 10oz

I dived the spot i get big pollack from,its the first time since January 30th when i had the 10lb pollack from a shore dive here. This time of year you also get bass mullet and most other types of fish you find in close through the warmer months. Today was one of those days when i had a nice mixed bag. Not much seen but what was seen turned out to be good fish. On my second dive i was hunting across the top of kelp,looking down through as i went for a big bass hid away resting up or waiting to ambush its next meal when i noticed what i thought was a wrasse swimming staight at me. The viz was 6/7m so i had no excuss on not realising it was a Red mullet. They just dont swim up to you in clear viz in the middle of the day. I was about 1m above the kelp with about 2m of kelp to the sand and rock. The mullet was a good 3m from the bottom. It took what seemed for ever to line him up and pull the trigger. I didnt want to risk putting this monster of a mullet on my stringer so swam back to the boat and put him in slush ice. I have had big red mullet before over 2lbs,this was bigger.
Next i made my way to the gully i find the big pollack in. I timed it just right with the tide ripping through the gully before it peaks for slack water. I know this route well now,i missed a few in the early days of trying to get big pollack in the gully but now if there is one at home i usually take him home with me. First off i thought nothing home today but after dropping in to the gully i could see a nice sized pollack on the bottom,one kick of the fin and im glidding down towards him head on. My arm is stretched out ready to fire. He's looking at me but thinks i cant see him yet or im not a theat. I good shot through the top of the head and a 7lb 10lb pollacks in the boat(no big hills to climb today lol). I also had a 3lb7oz bass.
I have to weigh the red mullet on a proper set of scales. He was 1.2kg on my set. The british record is 1.248kg.
I need to delete some old pics before i can upload any new pics.

Attachments

• Red Mullet & Pollack.jpg
    Red Mullet & Pollack.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 217
Reactions: Scoobaru
Re: Dorset Spear Fishing 2012

View attachment 33671sorry guys pressed the wrong button. hear is my catch. bass 2-3lb mullet 7lb and pending record submission 2.64kg 5.8lb cuttle fish.

big thank u for broseidon for setting up the thread on pnuematic guns and to foxfish for the info on the dry muzzle. i no longer mess my wetsuit wen lee catches fish. finding the biggest haul on r night dives as a result . :friday:friday

Attachments

• fish 004.jpg
    fish 004.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 218
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: Scoobaru
Re: Dorset Spear Fishing 2012

hi guys as my 2 gatherhunter buddys have said ,great dive lastnight, very windy and low viz we all managed to bag something.

the dive for me turned out to b a very good dive with a long list of schoolboy errors that my buddys missed out .

dive was arranged tom & lee driving down to my house i sort my gear all ready to go. wen they both got at mine they come in for a coffie to wait for it to get dark. then we set off "happy days night sesh is on".

once at the spot we get suited up lokking very dodgy as tom and lee hav saidrofl.
Great now lets make r way in the water, last min check OH F*#K*N HELL !!! sorry guys i will have to meet u in the water i have left my gloves at home :duh:eek:. drive home all suited up get my gloves and race (within the speed limits ) bk to the guys. right try again get my weight belt on and my float back pack on race down to the water hood up fins on spit in mask, HANG ON .... NO MASK. ARGHHH F*#K*N F*#K :vangry:vangry:vangry .
shouting ova to tom and lee that i hav left my mask in the car i will b bk down in a min.
run bk to the car get the mask and run bk down to the water. tom and lee now stringing there first fish of the night i get the feeling of a bad dive. get kitted up and start my dive tom and lee both saying the have seen bass i carry on with my dive just waiting for my turn then to my supprise i see a very fast moving bass way to fast ! to low viz cant take a shot. feeling happier i stelthly go the way the fish had headed. then a shoal of about 10 mully happy days pick a target theres the biggest BOOM mully on the stringer:friday. wen stringing the fish i notice its a gold spot. HAPPY WITH THAT!!
we all get out later with the wind chill getting the better of us , also the little matter of me only having a few hours till i have to get up for work:hungover.

this is the parts that tom and lee missed out. no point in adding more about the catches as they both yet again desribed in great style about a great dive.

my catch a 2.9lb gold spot mullet , .5 of a lb under the british spearo record

Attachments

• gold spot 001.jpg
    gold spot 001.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 214
  • gold spot 002.jpg
    gold spot 002.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 222
  • gold spot 003.jpg
    gold spot 003.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 209
Re: Fish of the Month Competition entries - JUNE 2012

my entry for FOM and species hunt.
gilthead bream 4lb bang on full story on Dorset 2012 thread

Attachments

• 4lb gilt 002.jpg
    4lb gilt 002.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 4lb gilt 001.jpg
    4lb gilt 001.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 226
  • 4lb gilt.jpg
    4lb gilt.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 240
Re: Fish of the Month Competition entries - SEPTEMBER 2012

I'd like to enter a shore caught turbot 2.46lb for FOM and specie comp
D0C690B5-9B2C-48F1-9A51-13237729B70A-2068-000001DE70AA1A13_zpsf6b93ec2.jpg

88DF3C81-2590-41EF-8EDA-760665649F5C-2068-000001DE785E080C_zps4c1c356a.jpg

F2F10A60-83DF-4061-A081-C26AEAAA04E1-2068-000001DE67C5E128_zps3aabce70.jpg

Full report on the Dorset thread

Fish Report.

I decided to get up at sparrows fart to launch at Littlehampton to get a last dive in at Kingmere before the first autumn gale due in the next day or so.
Launched at six am in the dark but the river was clear and the sea flat as a millpond.After seeing the sun come up and the tide start to ease enough to get in ,I dived on a warm up mark,first dive four bass moved away as I dropped onto a large rock .
Second dive one came back in to look at me ! fist fish in the boat.
Later after fishing a second mark and getting the 8lb bass in the picture, out of a ledge ,I moved to my best mark as the tide was now slack.
I anchored about 10 metres away from the mark dropped down straight onto the raised ledge part of the hole,I tucked in close to the entrance to see if anything would come out.Four bass all between 8 -9 pounds came out completely unaware of me,as I was fresh I decided to wait to see if anything else would follow, a few seconds passed and I thought I would move into the main entrance just as I started towards the hole a massive head came out with a deep body.
I hit it just above the lateral line it roared off back into the hole and out of a split some feet away.
I could see the fish tearing its flank on the double barb,grabbing the fish in midwater I killed it with the knife and headed for the surface.
After sorting out the line,spear etc I went looking for some more ground close by, seeing a bass in midwater I dived between two large rocks I had not found before, bass scattered in every direction all over 8lb! I took marks and just managed to get back to the boat as the tide ripped back up.
Having some time I dropped over to Bognor to fish some pinnacles but only saw large shoals of mullet.
Mick and Trotsky were fishing inshore and had some bass up to 8lb (both had floats).
Getting back to the ramp two fishing boats were waiting to be recovered and they kindly weighed my fish,*the big one was 16 .5lb dropping to 16.25lb by the time I got home.
A magic September day!
Best regards
Mike.

Attachments

• Happy boy.jpg
    Happy boy.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 248
Nice dive last night resulted in my biggest monster squid to date 3lb 4oz for FOM and the hall of fame please. Report in dorset thread.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351439063586.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351439063586.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 232
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351439084640.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351439084640.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 217
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351439097237.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351439097237.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 226
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351439113611.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351439113611.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 207
Re: March 2013 Fish of the month / Speccie Hunt Entries

This is for FOM small eyed 7lb.10
NOKIALumia610jks_000055_zps8c275f6c.jpg
[/IMG]Small eyed ray
NOKIALumia610jks_000051_zps829e384f.jpg
NOKIALumia610jks_000058_zps10ad7e0e.jpg
[/IMG]

Re: Cornwall 2013

Went for a dive yesterday, on the ebbing tide and I didn't have a very long exit pass, so wasn't feeling optimistic. In the car, I changed my mind and decided to try a different spot that I haven't dived for a few years because I never saw anything decent there. 10 minutes in the water, and I've a 7lb bass on the stringer. A new pb, and I'm totally stoked and thinking about getting out as there was no chance of topping that. I did a few more dives, going through the motions really. A little bit later, and there's a 12lb 7oz pollack on my stringer. It was a monster. At that point, I began the swim in, which was hard work against the current with added drag. I struggled up beach with gear plus 10kg of fish, and slipped anonymously in to my car, with my mind blown. I had been diving alone at a spot I've never seen anyone else at, and it is now my special little secret spot. Chances are I'll dive it for years to come and never have a day like that though.

Attachments

• P1040816.jpg
    P1040816.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 202
  • P1040820.jpg
    P1040820.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 195
Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT