• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 3 - Rail & Spear Diameter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What rail and spear diameter option would you choose?

• Enclosed track 7mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Enclosed track 6.5mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Open track 6.5mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Open track 7mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Rail gun 7mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Rail gun 6.5 sharkfin spear

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Rail gun 7mm notched spear

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Rail gun 6.5mm notched spear

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 3 - Rail & Spear Diame

Lots of valid points there, so I guess this pioneering idea is also a learning curve?
Yes things are happening - Gits now has the teak & purple heart & will be gluing up the stock very soon.
There will have a separate thread that will follow the build with lots of photos as the work progresses.
Before the next poll starts, we are thinking about giving you the opportunity to make any suggestions you might have & a general chat about what can or can't be done. Good idea?

Re: The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 3 - Rail & Spear Diame

Ooh, this is exciting! I personally dont think that the handle position is really an issue. The gun at hand is only a 90 cm gun. Why take 15% of the reach out of an already short gun? Maybe this is a clear water train of thought. I personally have not dove in waters with visibility less than 30 ft. (im not bragging) In fact I think that If I were to dive in very merky waters I would be shaking in my boots(or booties), so since there is a strong opinion for a mid-handle gun what is its purpose?

Good idea Foxfish. How about an LED torch or laser pointer built into/on the end of the barrel or bottom of handle?!:D
... I personally have not dove in waters with visibility less than 30 ft. (im not bragging)
Don't expect any sympathy from UK spearos:D I think I have experienced 30 ft visibility, maybe twice in the sea here. 3ft being far more common :(. The reason for a mid-handle (seems weird saying this to a spearo from the land of Daryl Wong) is to allow a long gun (90cm is a long gun in the UK:eek:) to have many of the advantages or both a long gun & a short reef gun, so that only one gun need be carried. Perhaps we should shoot for a 1m mid-handle gun next year -- although you might want 130cm railgun! Mid-handles are now quite uncommon in europe (seems more of an American thing) but Pastor has championed them as being well suited to UK waters and some of us are quite curious to see how they stack up.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish

Well described Mr x, most things in life have pros & cons.
I have spent my life spearfishing the Channel Islands & I use pretty much the same guns as every other guy who spearfishes here! Considering we shoot the majority of fish within a foot or so from the spear point, an outstretched arm with a 1.2mtr (gun & spear) extension puts your spear tip 1.8mtr or 6' from from your eyes. A mid handle would force me to get closer for that guaranteed kill shot, the argument about more manoeuvrability simply does not apply to my normal hunting stye. I dont track fish like shooting a clay pigeon, I never have!
However if there was reason to track fish I can see how a mid handled gun would cause less resistance when trying to move it horizontally through the water but then I have a mamba that has huge range & very good tracking potential.
Pastor enthusiasm for mid handles must have some merit & considering I have never hunted with one I take his word that they work very well.

It looks like he is off to a very good start with that timber. You couldn't find it if you tried rofl

Yup last chance to vote! Hey why am I doing this? I'm not staff any more rofl

Poll is now closed - winner is Enclosed track 6.5mm sharkfin spear

Next poll will be up in a couple of days.

Here you go Pastor, an old Euro Mid-Handled rubber gun by Nemrod! Very rare to see these for sale now.....

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/speargun-fishspear_W0QQitemZ270232603426QQihZ017QQcategoryZ19303QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]speargun fishspear on eBay, also, Other SCUBA, SCUBA Snorkelling, Sporting Goods (end time 07-May-08 20:06:43 BST)[/ame]

Reactions: Pastor

Cool! Almost makes me wish I was a collector :) It just goes to show though that we can't just presume that euro guns must be rear handled. I would imagine that the Nemrod would be a bit of a dog being so lightweight. Has anyone actually used one of those?

Has it been said that sharkfins are not only useful for loading?
Sharkfins are also said to make shafts stronger and less likely to snap or bend when fighting a big fish. In facts the notches cut into the body of the spear are the weak point for any shaft.
I'm using the Omer 6,3 with sharkfins on my Omer Master Comp 106, that is a "halftrack" gun (it has a rail with high edges on just 1/3 of the barrell). My choice doesn't have much to do with loading ease, but with the fact that I had a notched shaft snapped in two after shooting a big bluefish...

PS: nice gun Spaniard. Said Spearboard style: "Man...that Nerdmod euro is sick"...:)

Last edited:

Yes you are right but only if the fins are welded in place befor the spear is tempered.
If you try & DIY the fins you will be faced with a distorted & weakened spear, so the moral is - buy a factory made shark fin spear.
With my enclosed track guns, you can use quite small fins but you will need quite thin dyneema wishbone to do so! I have ordered a new spear with welded pins but it is taking an age to arrive however my friend has one & it fits my tracks perfectly allowing 2mm dyneema to be used.
There is in fact plenty of choice out there, places like here Flechas have a few to chose from.

Last edited:

...I'm not staff any more rofl
What's up Pastor - defrocked by Papa Smurf?;) Or do you plan to sell everyones private details to the IRS like that guy from Luxemburg (whatever happened to the UK's "receiving stolen goods" laws & the Data Protection Act for that matter?).

Last edited:

What's up Pastor - defrocked by Papa Smurf?
I wondered what that pain in my arse was! rofl

No seriously I stepped down because I couldn't justify the time needed to do the job to the standard the site deserves as things are at the moment.

So Richard John Bingham, born 18/12/1934, favourite pet - Shergar........ rofl

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT