• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 3 - Rail & Spear Diameter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What rail and spear diameter option would you choose?

• Enclosed track 7mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Enclosed track 6.5mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Open track 6.5mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Open track 7mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Rail gun 7mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Rail gun 6.5 sharkfin spear

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Rail gun 7mm notched spear

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Rail gun 6.5mm notched spear

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stephan Whelan

Papa Smurf
Staff member
Admin
Jan 7, 1999
Here is the next poll in the DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza. This poll is for determining the Rail & Spear Diameter.

Please remember - there is no rush to vote - get some discussion going before making the final vote as you can only vote once!!

Poll will close in 14 days on 30th April 2008.

Re: The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 3 - Rail & Spear Diame

I think many people will scoff at the thought of a euro with an enclosed track but I really think in a few years time they will be common place. Imagine shooting thin shafts with hardly any whipping (even less than a rail gun)

Re: The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 3 - Rail & Spear Diame

Sorry Stephen, I voted before I read:duh

I think 6.5mm shaft on a enclosed track eurogun would be a pretty impressive gun:thankyou:ban

you think so?..i dont know, i think since we are talking single band (even if its a 20mm) it would be unlikely to cause the sort of shaft whip to justify an enclosed track, and with a 6.5 spear the friction could absorb much of the spear's energy...i would tend to think either 6.5 or 7mm spear on a regular track, im just trying to figure out the difference between railgun and open track in the options above, if somebody could help that would be cool :)

Reactions: spaghetti

I went with rail gun and 6.5mm spear.

The only reason i can justify choosing that is im new and have very limited access to guns and have only tried a rail gun.

Yeah thats probably right,a 90cm gun with a single band and a enclosed track may not be a recipe for success.

But it would be nice to give it a try,;)

im leaning towards the 6.5mm spear with an open track/rail (not sure either)
i definately prefer a thinner stainless steel spear (i really like the omer excalibur 2000 spear). a 90 cm should be fine with a 6.5mm...and im voting for the gun I would like, therefore the 6.5mm would be perfect for bass/mullet

Its the enclosed track thats probably not necessary for that size of gun,

My omer cayman HF which I bought last year is a great gun except for the sharkfin spear I find it a pain. I'm always catching my fingers on the fins when loading and it also harder to unload at the end of a dive. I voted for a notched 6.5mm rail

Reactions: Mr. X

Sorry for any confusion, here is my definition of the the tracks.

Attachments

• P1030547(1).JPG
    P1030547(1).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: Mr. X

I read it as 'open track' so your second 2 to me are the other way round. The middle one is rail and the right hand side is open track?

Personally I think enclosed tracks are the business - they give a clear sight line, hold the spear in place even with the gun upside down, prevent any potential spear whip & look "super cool". Obviously a shark fin type spear would have to be used but you dont have to worry about spear overhang in the same critical way you might have too with an open track or to a slightly lesser degree a rail.
Of course the open track is very well tried & tested & most defiantly works OK.
Rails are most often used on custom build wooden guns, they might offer a little more spear stability & work nicely with shark fin spears.
This is only my opinion & I dont pretend to be a underwater ballistics expert!
I love my guns to be gimmicky, unususual & good looking - just like me :)

I read it as 'open track' so your second 2 to me are the other way round. The middle one is rail and the right hand side is open track?

Well now we are in trouble! Don't know what to say?
My pic shows the way I believed the descriptions fitted & as I wrote the poll I could of made a fool of myself rofl

Reactions: Lockedin

Well in my vast knowledge of spearguns i do believe Andy round is correct :p

Sorry for any confusion, here is my definition of the the tracks.

Mart on the red gun in your avatar has that got an enclosed rail?

I'd like it to have a 6,5 millimeters. It makes more sense since we, the people, voted for a single band gun.
It would take such a hell of a very powerful single band to pull a 7mm shaft.

I would have voted for a thinner shaft, 6 to 6,3 mm, had this option been given.

wouldnt a 20mm band have plenty of power for a 7mm shaft? this is what my RA has anyways... maybe 6.5mm and an 18mm band would go nicely. i think im going to go for rail but am going to wait and see what other people with more experience have to say on the subject.

How easy is it to buy shark fin spears? i can easily get hold of notched spears but wouldnt have a clue where to buy a shark fin spear. If people can easily get hold of shark fin spears i'll probably be inclined to vote for the enclosed track, i figure it will be quicker to reload. However if people will find spare spears difficult to come by, it seems pointless voting for a gun that could well be out of action for quite sometime whilst the owner chases an order for spears.

Sharkfin spears are made by basically all the major spear makers now. They are stronger then a notch shaft without adding much mass. I voted for a Railgun with 6.5 mm sharkfin shaft. The railgun because it increases accuracy over a open track and that an enclosed track seems like overkill for this short of gun.

Like spaghetti said 6 mm shaft would be great so making the gun for 6.5 mm it could also be used for 6mm to 6.3 mm.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT