• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The End Of Aida!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re: Re: Silly Willy

Originally posted by Jorg
Djeee, do you've got more of these sayings??? :duh :D

Got a Danish one: "You avoid mistakes through experience, but you only gain experience...through mistakes."

Give AIDA a chance. She's all you got, she must be all you have. Don't think that these posts aren't being read.

I am not sure if we required duplicates of that misinformed post.

Give AIDA a chance. She's all you got, she must be all you have.

This has been refuted time and time again and nobody likes being told they can only do this or that because then they feel obliged to demonstrate the ridiculousness of the statement. Why do people insist on ignoring the fact that FREE exists and is continuing to exist?

Originally posted by tylerz
I am not sure if we required duplicates of that misinformed post.

This has been refuted time and time again and nobody likes being told they can only do this or that because then they feel obliged to demonstrate the ridiculousness of the statement. Why do people insist on ignoring the fact that FREE exists and is continuing to exist?

Because they do nothing to promote the fact that they exist and continue to exist :confused:

It would be interesting to see some FREE comps, and/or record attempts but are there any on the horizon? If so they haven't been publisized...

For crying out loud, people. Any sport not centered in one forum is not a proper sport. Pro boxing is a joke, and so is freediving.

There are two kind of freedivers around: Those that stand around complaining about the smell of the dung in the bull pen, and those that grab a showel and start cleaning it up. Which of them do you wanna be?

FREE is not the answer, that's why nobody really backs them up. There must be only one. If FREE were AIDA, and AIDA were FREE, then FREE would be having the dung pile in the pen and suffer the complaints. Shit happens.

Don't think that your complaints aren't read. Don't think that the AIDA top isn't considering as many of them as humanly possible. Don't think that the assembly is inactive and thinks everything is all fine and dandy.

Chris Engelbrecht, AIDA-hand

Originally posted by CEngelbrecht

FREE is not the answer, that's why nobody really backs them up. There must be only one. If FREE were AIDA, and AIDA were FREE, then FREE would be having the dung pile in the pen and suffer the complaints. Shit happens.

I don't accept this statement. If FREE manages to begin hosting international competitions, in my opinion they would rapidly overtake AIDA.

Many of the problems which AIDA is dealing with don't exist with FREE. For example:

1. FREE has identical safety protocols for training dives and competition dives. AIDA does not. AIDA's safety standards for training dives are almost non-existant.

2. FREE gives full power to the on-site judges. AIDA does not. This is why we constantly see records being reversed 5 months later.

3. FREE has objective surface judging (thus no reason for protesting). AIDA does not, resulting in countless protests and unhappy athletes; as well as unhappy countries such as Italy.

4. FREE has freedom of equipment rules which promote the devolpment of the sport. AIDA does not.

5. FREE promotes world records in competitions, based on the fact that athletes in competition are given a 7-minute countdown, rather than a 2-minute countdown in AIDA rules.

6. The combination of 4 & 5 means that FREE rules strongly promote records in competitions, which is the ultimate goal; current AIDA rules make records in competitions difficult and unlikely.

7. FREE awards points for depth in such a way that it does not encourage the diver to break his eardrums. Currenty AIDA rules penalize the diver so heavily for turning early that the athlete is encouraged to break his eardrums.

8. FREE has realized that the current IOC doping standards are almost irrelevant for the sport of freediving. As such, they have changed their regulations with regards to doping to reflect this. AIDA has not.

The primary reason that FREE has managed to solve all of these issues is because it does not have the problematic democratic structure which AIDA has. In the FREE setup, anyone, even an athlete, can suggest rule changes, but the mechanisms are different.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Reactions: Adrian
Under the thread ”end of Aida” I find it fitting to post the following:

RESULTAT :Magnus 73 meter, Sebbe 108 meter / 6.06 min, Nicklas BO(75), Hans-O LMC (90), Klara 67 (utan fenor) / 3.34 min, Martin 62 meter / 4.13 min, Eric 100 (gummifenor), Nicklas Skägg 76 meter / 4.17 min, Jonas 74 / 4.25 minuter, Pelle 4.56 min.

It is the results from the Club championships of the ”Gothenburg apnea society”. We have held two competitions so far this year.

We find this a good way of evaluationg our training and add some exitement to our lives. We use Aida rules and we judge each other. We are slowly learning the system of countdowns, resurfacing proceeddures e t c. We coach each other and penalize each other for just the simplest rule violation.
Right now we have a frenchman visiting the club (Eric Chapuis). It is very inspiring and also very good that he is from an AIDA club himself so we dont have to discuss any formalities.

What I am saying to you is that this is happening all the time all around the world. Small competitions among friends. All relying on the same set of rules.
I am proud to be part of this growing movement – I somewhat feel like a pioneer.

This summer I went to the Azores and through the Aida list I found some freedivers and we arranged our own small unofficial competition. Four teams; sweden, south africa and two from portugal. Portugal won, I got disqualified by a portugeese guy judging me. What rules did we use? Aida rules. (non of us thinks LMC belongs in competetive freediving and are willing to pay the price of partially subjective ruling).

The other part of my story is played out on internet, where I read about people surfacing without OK signs, some of them get approved others not. I read about people blacking out in static – regaining consiousness and surfacing and beeing approved. I read about old judging errors. Strange extreeme situations.

AND I read about theoretical situations (possible but not so likely) that is said to flaw the aidarules. And many of these, fellow freedivers, "ask" me to join them and ”throw away” 10 years of ambition in uniting freedivers under the same set of rules.

And I remember all these competitions I have been part of arranging, all the competitions I have compeeted in (all my disqualifications), all the competitions I have filmed (in my work). It sums up to hundreds of performances and surfacings I have seen from just a few meters away.
And I have seen athletes getting away with violations, and I have seen athletes beeing penalized even though surfacing without LMC. And I have seen lots of athletes behaving silly after dives; hiding their faces, beeing arrogant towards the judges, turning around e t c – making it hard for the judges to judge them.

And I have also seen sad things like teams loosing gold medals due to a single rope violation, sad and strange educational/correctional judgings.
But above all I have seen the rules change and adopt to common sense – slowly – trial by error.

AND MOST OF ALL I HAVE SEEN TERRIFIC ATHLETES MAKING HUNDREDS OF TERIFIC PERFORMANCES AND BEEING JUDGED BY JUDGES DOING THEIR BEST.

And I say – Yes, this might actually work. We might one day be a real sport with functioning rules and competent performances on all sides. And I say – leave pride and personal agendas aside. Use common sense in the search of better rules – but go slow and never loose faith in the fact that common passion and LAWS are what organizations are built of.

Sebastian /Sweden
http://www.fridykning.se

In Mifsud's mind, AIDA has made him appear as a cheating liar. The television stations which aired the documentaries about his record would not be pleased to find out that they aired something which was 'fake.' It makes it appear as though Mifsud deceived the television companies. This, I think, is the main argument which Mifsud's lawyer will use when sueing AIDA for damaging Mifsud's career.

The question is, if Mifsud's lawyer wins the lawsuit, who will pay the damages? At this point, if AIDA wants to continue to exist, it may have no choice but to award the record to Mifsud.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

How did the AIDA make Mifsud out to be a cheating liar and ruin his career? Eric, we all know you have a bone to pick with AIDA, but this is getting old and ridiculous. Mifsud still did an incredible performance that many people would consider the world record even if its not ratified by the AIDA because of their rules. If the AIDA is so unimportant, like you say it is, then why do you continue to bash them? Go promote FREE and leave the AIDA alone!

Mifsud forgot to give the okay signal, which is against the AIDA rules so they can’t ratify it as their world record. It’s that simple! How is his forgetting to give the okay signal the AIDA’s fault?

Even if it doesn’t have AIDA’s ratification just the fact that someone held their breath for 8:24 is still a news worthy event by itself. The non-ratification of the record makes it even more news worthy then if it was ratified!!! This could be the best PR Mifsud ever got if he plays it right. If he stays in the AIDA and makes another attempt at the record, with the right press releases it will draw more media attention then any static attempt has ever received! Why, because people like rooting for someone who was close, but had a major disappointment!
Jody

Reactions: donmoore
love and hate

Originally posted by jodyfreedive
Eric... why do you continue to bash them? Go promote FREE and leave the AIDA alone!
Jody

Eric is still in love with Aida - he has still hopes...to turn her into his dreampartner in freediving;-)

Reactions: donmoore
How did the AIDA make Mifsud out to be a cheating liar and ruin his career? Eric, we all know you have a bone to pick with AIDA, but this is getting old and ridiculous. Mifsud still did an incredible performance that many people would consider the world record even if its not ratified by the AIDA because of their rules. If the AIDA is so unimportant, like you say it is, then why do you continue to bash them? Go promote FREE and leave the AIDA alone!

I think the crux of the problem is that the AIDA judges who represent AIDA while at the competitions did not indicate a problem at that time. Therefor everyone including sponsors, televisors etc were under the belief that the record would, in time, be validated. When it was not validated one can imagine it would be hugely emberassing at the least to then have to phone those sources and explain that the record, many months later, was not validated.

While I'd prefer to see AIDA resolve the issues it's currently facing and continue as a stronger force for freediving I don't believe that Eric's discussion on these points should be viewed as an attack on the organization. The fact that these issues are brought to the forefront by people like Eric should be viewed as positive, as it's only through debate that new rules can be formed. It also allows the AIDA reps to see how strongly people feel about these issues and encourages the representatives themselves to be more vocal in explaining AIDA's position in a timely manner to the community at large.

Reactions: tylerz
Eric, we all know you have a bone to pick with AIDA, but this is getting old and ridiculous. ... If the AIDA is so unimportant, like you say it is, then why do you continue to bash them? Go promote FREE and leave the AIDA alone!

Where do you get off saying that?

He just stated "In Mifsud's mind..."!!! So yell at Mifsud. It is as "old and ridiculous" to claim somebody is unproductive and pestering, because they do not say things you want to hear. You say "...we all know..." as though these statements can represent the community. I think you got that far from the truth dear.

Lots of people in this community recognize some of us looking for change and expressing it openly and concerned with how past/present issues have been handled. If you want to call that "a bone to pick" then fine that is your choice of words, but that is not something that you can imply the community is not interested in. If they were not interested then TWO threads would not have filled up with comments on the recent issues.

I am not a fan of the idea that "criticism" is negative. And I do not think anybody that wishes to learn from mistakes does. That is of course only if you use the word criticism in the sense I am implying: "the addressing of a concept with the opinion that it is not ideal".

Actually to be honest, I do not see anything in your post that shows a consideration of what Eric actually typed. Maybe you would be in agreeance with this if you re-read his post? :t

For those in doubt, I am really trying to help AIDA. To further explain this 'mysterious' fact, I will give a simple example.

A few years ago I was working at a company called Brooks Automation Software. I was often in conflict with the questionable policies of this company. At one point I insisted we develop a contingency plan for one of our customers. I was told not to. I did so anyway, in my spare time. In the end, the contigency I developed saved the company $2M USD. At first I was hailed as a 'hero,' but I had already decided I was going to leave the company. Senior management did not want me to leave. I told them many things which needed to change, in order for the company to succeed, and for me to stay. The manager in question told me it was not up to him but up to the 'board of directors' to decide such issues and it was unlikely they would take into account one simple employee's opinions, after all, I did not have stock in the company and so I had no official 'voice.' He said he would take my suggestions to the 'board.' He also said that the company was 'the well established leader in the field' and it would take a lot to 'bring them down.'

Never heard anything after that. So I left. If I really didn't care about the company, I would have left it at that. But I had many friends still with the company. I wanted the company to succeed. So, I spent about 4-5 hours writing six single spaced type written pages on what needed to change in the company, for the company to succeed. I gave it to the leader of human resources, and she was appreciative.

Unfortunately, my suggestions were not taken seriously. That was a few years ago. Then, only a few weeks ago, I received an e-mail from a friend, telling me the company had folded. He explained in detail the various chain of events which had occurred. The chain was very similar to what I had predicted would occur. It most likely would not have occurred if my 'insignificant' suggestions had been taken to heart.

So, I was 'criticizing' my own company -- why? Because I hated the company? Because I wanted to 'bring them down'? NO! If I cared nothing for the company I would have just walked away. I tried to save the company by making critical suggestions. The board of directors were so arrogant in thinking they were such an established leader that they could do anything they wanted. They did not treat their employees well. They paid based only on experience, not on value to the company. The skimped out on managers, and were highly disorganized. The list goes on.

Likewise, I STRONGLY believe that if AIDA does not change certain policies, then AIDA will eventually fold, and/or be overtaken by another organization, and it could happen much sooner than people think. If AIDA folds, it would be a setback to the sport, so I don't want that to happen.

So, at every chance I get, I raise issues which I hope will arouse sufficient controversy to EVOKE the changes which are necessary for AIDA to survive. However, the main problem is the 'democratic' nature of the organization. The majority of the AIDA assembly do not speak English (or don't speak it well), and are unable to read these forums and the official mailing lists. Thus, they are largely unaware of the problems which exist.

I have been fighting to improve AIDA since 1999. The end result is that I am now seen as a person who hates AIDA, and who will stop at nothing to 'bring them down.' Nothing could be further from the truth.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Hello all,

I don't know beans about the details of AIDA or any other diving organization, but I do have a lot of experiance observing the workings, growth and demise of non-profit organizations, what works and what doesn't. Maybe my 2 cents worth will be helpful.

First, for those who would like to see AIDA disappear. If that happens you may well not like the result. If a working organization exists, it is almost always easier and faster to fix it rather that starting over. The latter course generates so much bad feeling that it too often results in more harm than good.

Second, in all good faith and with the best of intentions, some organizations try to make a rule for every posssible thing that might come up. AIDA seems to be doing this. This approach ends up stifling action, innovation and enthusiasm. These are life blood of successful, growing organizations, especially those with a substantial volunteer component (like AIDA). The recent glitch with Mandy is another good example of what happens with this approach. The rule she tripped over has a reasonable basis, but it ends up having a stupid effect. Further, if anyone could successfully negociate the rules it would be the PF group. The fact that they goofed is much more indicative of an organizational problem than anything else.

After the fiascos with Annabelle and Mifsud, it should be obvious to all that AIDA is attempting the imposssible. The result makes the organization look ridiculous and creates huge and destructive negative energy. Again, I am sure that their hearts are in the right place, but you simply can't regulate for every posssibility in this type of situation. The rules need to be easier to understand and comply with. Innovation and envelope stretching should be encouraged. Such an approach will undoubtedly allow some negative things to creep through. However, the benefits of less detail oriented, more user friendly rules will far outweigh the inevitable, negative consequences.

Good luck to all trying to improve the situation. It must be a handful.

Connor

Last edited:
Reactions: tylerz
Jody when a sportsman has a medal or a record taken off him 5 months later he will be seen by the public as a cheat. The media doesn’t go into details and even if they did the public wouldn’t understand anything over than the fact that he has been disgraced. Irrespective of the validity of the dive it is AIDA’s incompetence that is responsible for this perception.
As an example of how this affects an athlete immensely, consider how Misfud’s sponsors would react to being associated with this public image.
Whether Misfud can gain PR from negative publicity is irrelevant. I would imagine he would be offended by the concept.

AIDA is responsible for:
1. Having a defective method of validation (as Eric has explained, mixing subjective & objective - judging will never work).
2. Not honouring the decision of the judges on site at the attempt.
3. Taking 5 months before invalidating the record.

If the AIDA is so unimportant, like you say it is, then why do you continue to bash them?
As long as AIDA is negatively influencing the sport of freediving then it deserves this criticism.

Where do you get off saying that?
Pardon the express, but what rock did you crawl out from? It’s a well establish fact that Eric sent an e-mail to AIDA board members stating he thought there should be special safety procedures for all dives over 70 meters after his failed attempt at a world record. When they all did not agree he got upset and has been knocking the AIDA ever since. All you have to do is use db search function and do a search on his user name and AIDA. When you’re done there you can go to the Freedive USA List and other AIDA boards and read what has been said about him there. When you’re done with that you can ask individual board members.

Unless Stephane Mifsud has made Eric Fattah his agent, Eric has no business telling other what’s on Stephane’s mind. How does he know what Stephane is thinking? If Stephane Mifsud wants what on his mind published in db then he has the ability to do it himself or designate an agent. The only reason Eric wrote this was to further manipulate others against the AIDA. Just like he did by alluding that the video may not have captured the okay sign, because it was zoomed into only the face rather than saying that neither of the two-onsite judges said they say an okay sign.

If he saw the video before he started the thread, like he has said, then he knew the video was not zoomed in for the first 21 seconds and clearly showed their was no ok sign. Yet with his careful choosing of words he manipulated others to think there could have been an okay sign and there was probably evidence that there was. Only when others started stating the true facts did we learn that his argument was not that AIDA was ignoring the evidence of the okay sign, but that he didn’t feel the athlete should have to give one.

Do you not think Dieter Baumann angry post wasn’t provoked by past problems? If you are looking for change then tell me, how many times have you presented an idea to the CAFA for them to take to the AIDA board? Yet you are part of petition to the AIDA. How do you expect change when you try to force things down people’s throats without at least giving the system an opportunity? You obviously have never been a volunteer in an organization and had to deal with people such as yourself.

Like Dieter Baumann alluded to, Deeper Blue is getting worldwide reputation as place for Eric to pursue his anti AIDA campaign. So much so that there are both world-class divers and AIDA board members who avoid this site. I for one want to show people that there are some db members who can and do think for themselves.
Jody

My consideration to respond to this ended, when I had to sadly conclude that I do not believe you have any desire to consider anything you have not already preconceived and that any further attempt to discuss it here is just your attempt to do exactly what you acuse Eric of.

There is not a shred of a constructive statement in what you type and you expect people to feel like you represent them? All you have demonstrated is that you are approaching this discussion exactly the same as the concept you hate.

You have slandered many with this post without offering anything, other than maybe suggesting that you are a follower of conspiracy theories such as created by people like David Icke. Enjoy the read and the life.

However, if anybody actually has a desire for outlooks on any of those statements feel free to ask me publicly or privately.

Last edited:
It is incredible that a friend totally unrelated to diving, just a few moments ago chose to read me the following quote:

>And it ought to be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to take
>in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than
>to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. Because the
>innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old
>conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well under the new.
>This coolness arises partly from fear of the opponents, who have the laws
>on their side, and partly from the incredulity of men, who do not readily
>believe in new things until they have had a long experience of them. Thus,
>it happens that wheneever those who are hostile have the opportunity to
>attack they do it like partisans, whilst the others defend lukewarmly...

Jody,

I find it sad; you say that you want to 'show people that there are some db members who can and do think for themselves.' And yet, all you do is make a personal attack on me. This proves that you are able to think for yourself...?

Nevertheless, I forgive you, and will calmly and quietly correct the mistruths you are spreading.

It’s a well establish fact that Eric sent an e-mail to AIDA board members stating he thought there should be special safety procedures for all dives over 70 meters after his failed attempt at a world record.
First of all, it was not a failed attempt at a record. It was a successful attempt (the video is still online if you want). After a training dive to 88m I had a very disturbing experience which made me question the sanity of doing such depths without extra safety. Given that I was (at the time) treading into uncharted territory, I thought I could at least warn others. However, since the armchair theorists had no experience diving to such depths, they had no reason to heed my concerns. Within two months (Sept & Oct 2001), Martin had reported a weird narcosis incident at 83m, and Herbert reported forgetting an entire section of his 89m training dive in Ibiza. I was afraid someone would die, training to these depths without extra safety; I feared for the lives of any who would tread this territory 'alone down there.' And I still fear for anyone who does so 'alone down there.' So, I will continue to 'fight' for extra safety on deep dives. Unfortunately, Jody, you cannot stop me from fighting for what I believe in.

Unless Stephane Mifsud has made Eric Fattah his agent, Eric has no business telling other what’s on Stephane’s mind. How does he know what Stephane is thinking?
Because Stephane told me so, as follows, in his response to Dieter. Here is a short excerpt:
"Malgre un Anglais plutot mauvais c'est sans grande difficulte que je recois le sens de ce message, votre decision va vraiment dans le sens du sport.... c'est beau !!!
Voila vous venez de tournez une page dans ma carriere de sportif. Je ne participerai plus de pres ou de loin a quoi que ce soit qui est un rapprochement avec aida. De plus, petit apneiste que je suis je m'efforcerai de faire passer le message des que je pourrai, de votre engagement et votre bonne fois concernant cette discipline. Je te somme de me faire parvenir au plus tot les 500Euro concernant le controle antidopage. Ce dossier sera remis des demain a Maitre Sansonne, avocat au tribunal de justice de Toulon qui se frotte deja les mains devant votre non professionnalisme et des repercutions sur ma carriere d'une telle decision pres de 5 mois apres le record qui a ete valide par des juges aida nommes par aida a tres bientot."

If Stephane Mifsud wants what on his mind published in db then he has the ability to do it himself
Actually, Mifsud can't speak English, so someone else must fight for his rights when he is unable to.

The only reason Eric wrote this was to further manipulate others against the AIDA.
Now, suddenly, you claim to know what I am thinking? And how are you able to do that? Funny, you just accused me of knowing what someone else was thinking!

Just like he did by alluding that the video may not have captured the okay sign, because it was zoomed into only the face rather than saying that neither of the two-onsite judges said they say an okay sign.
Again, this was not me, this was the cameraman, and I was only conveying his words:
[By Jean-Francois Julian]:
"Dieter
this is jf (jean francois julian) from paris
i m the one who did the official tape for stephane static attempt,

just to let you know that the ok sign was done by stephane,

You just can't see it since i zoomed in his face. The zoom was done
because the light was not good and i wanted the judge to be abble to
see his eyes the best way possible.

its in the zooming that stephane did is ok sign, thats why you dont see
it

if you see the tape then you understand,
0 - I zoom for a better vision of his eyes
1 - stephane puts his hands on his face
2 - then he puts his hand down (off camera because of the zoom)
3 - he does his ok sign (off camera because of the zoom)
4 - just then the judges showed the white card and then you can hear
the chearing of the public.

as you can tell stephane is in a perfect condition even asking for biscuits
Jean-Francois Julian"

If he saw the video before he started the thread, like he has said
I never claimed to have seen the official video. I had only seen the documentary, which only showed the first few seconds of the recovery.

then he knew the video was not zoomed in for the first 21 seconds and clearly showed their was no ok sign.
How could I know that if I had not seen the official video? I had only seen the first few seconds of the recovery from the documentary.

Yet with his careful choosing of words he manipulated others to think there could have been an okay sign and there was probably evidence that there was.
Incorrect. I was merely passing on Fred's comment that there may have been an okay sign (why else would he call the record good?) I was also passing on the thoughts of the cameraman, who clearly said there WAS an okay sign (see e-mail above).

Do you not think Dieter Baumann angry post wasn’t provoked by past problems?
This justifies offending people with his personal attacks? Actually, if you want to know why Dieter hates me so much, I can tell you the story. It goes way back to when he was training Herbert to break the 81m record. Ask me some other time.

Like Dieter Baumann alluded to, Deeper Blue is getting worldwide reputation as place for Eric to pursue his anti AIDA campaign. So much so that there are both world-class divers and AIDA board members who avoid this site.
What is your point?

I for one want to show people that there are some db members who can and do think for themselves.
Jody
Well, I must congratulate you, your e-mail has shown that you can write hundreds of words without any truth in them!

I hope that this e-mail has clarified any doubts which Jody raised. I always try to be constructive, and respond to criticism.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Reactions: st3fan
OK, let me understand this correctly, as evidenced by the official video made public by AIDA: 1) the cameraman (JF) misspoke in his statement to Dieter (as posted above by Eric F.) when he said the sign was given off camera and could not be seen due to the close-up and 2) Fred also was mistaken by making the same statement (other thread) after reviewing the video immediately following the performance and therefore probably had no right approving the attempt, especially with the other judge present immediately claiming no sign was given (also stated by Fred in the other thread).

I still don't understand why everybody is bashing AIDA. The video has been made public and I have yet to hear anybody on DB who has seen it say it does not clearly show Mifsud in full view for 20 seconds not displaying the ok sign. As best I can tell, this whole fiasco rests on one man's shoulders and yet nobody has said a bad word about him yet. It's not AIDA's fault they had an on-site judge validate a record he had no business in doing so. I guess this is a perfect example of why AIDA chooses not to empower judges on-site to validate records. The only blame I can see on AIDA’s part is the 5 month lag time in their decision. This has been explained by a lost video. To give AIDA the benefit of the doubt maybe the video was lost or maybe not submitted on purpose knowing that the on-site validation would be immediately overturned once the video was seen.

For the record, I’m not on anybody’s side here, especially since I’m not even a competitor. I’m only drawing a conclusion from the evidence presented on this thread and the other one about Mifsud’s failed attempt (at least failed by AIDA standards). If I have misread something or made any false statements please correct me.

Scott

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT