• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Freediver Movie??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
...anyone know of any others?

OceanMen.

Better yet, how about The Poseidon Adventure! Didn't Shelly Winters and Ernest Borgnine do some awesome dynamic apnea in that movie?;)

Oceanmen! Of Course!

I can't believe I didn't remember that.

Although strictly speaking it's a documentary not a film :D

what about the new Tomb Raider with Angelina's 'assisted ballast' attempt. aka the old punch the shark in the nose and let it take you to the surface routine.

Hate to be doing this, but:

Who the heck is Danai Varveri?

Quote from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379790/combined
"Action Adventure - based on a true story. Freediver Danai Varveri's epic struggle to become champion of the world."

How come neither me nor any of the freedivers I frequent have ever heard about this 'world champion'?

Not that I'm not grateful that they're making a beautiful freediving film, but I'd like to be able to take it seriously. Sorry, people, have to ask.

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

Danai Varveri is a real greek freediving woman who announced an AIDA attempt to break Tanya's 70m CW record in September 2001, at the same time that Manolis Giankos (also of Greece) announced a CW record. The rumour was that Danai was very talented at no-fins diving. This 'dual' record event was cancelled in the last minute, for reasons I still don't know.

So, in the trailer it seems that 'Maggie' plays the arrogant champion who currently holds the 'unbeatable' records, and Danai is the underdog trying to break the records.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Danai Varveri

Her picture:
danai.jpg

From What I know from some boodies in Greece (I am Greek)
The event was cancelled becauce off organisations problems??!!

But anyway, Danai Varveris 35 meters unassisted "natural dive" without the use of weights, fins or mask was the first in its category to be sanctioned by the Greek Commission of the sports governing body, The World Underwater Federation.

Danai have a worldrecord (Recognition CMAS) in Nature Apnea.
http://www.scubaman.com/bios/records.html

I dont know more but I think that is time to have a apnea discipline where the only equickment is the bathing suit.

That is not only natural but also "romantic" I remember my
youngs years in Crete.

Back to the story..

Spetses based film maker Alki David (maker of "THE FREEDIVER")started the BIOS organisation (BIO ORGANIZATION OF SPETSES), in 1995 as a non profit group that orchestrates mass clean ups of the Aegean sea bed and awareness programs targeted at the high school level, teaching students the need to preserve our marine eco systems.

In 2004, the BIOS OPEN (Cyprus) will also set the stage for the first Olympic demonstration of freediving as a sport, working in collaboration with freediving’s governing authority AIDA.

Motionsync

Some more info att:
http://www.wog.com.au/article_main.asp?ArticleId=32

A movie clip with Danais atempt

http://www.deathtv.com/bios/body.html

Last edited:
I remember seing the picture in connection to the 35m 'natural apnea' attempt. So she's not totally unknown, that's good.

Does she have a grudge with Tanya Streeter? (Hence 'Maggie'.) Or is it someone else?

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

Natural Apnea

I'm sorry, but wearing a suit completely destroys the integrity of the "natural apnea" discipline! I refuse to look at these videos until they rectify this shortcoming.

the freediver / release

the movie will be shown at the bios freediver open classic 2004 in cyprus.

rgds
aqua

There is one more freediving movie but I forget the title... its another B type of movie.

By the way... THE FREEDIVER is not a B movie. Its actually an A movie although the budget was only 5 million dollars the actual production values are much much higher.

Its premiering in Cyprus at the World Championship in June and also at the LA film festival also in June.

Stunt Divers were Fred Buyle - who also appears in the movie
Kike Curovic - also appears
Hannah Stacey and Zoe Hall
Also Pierre Frolla helped organise the Monte Carlo Shoot

Rgue Wave

Danai's dive in natural apnea was in JUST a swimsuit... no fins... no mask even. At the bottom she picked up a marker card with a cigarette butt attached to it...

Attachments

• alki3_good.jpg
    alki3_good.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 754
Hey, don't Bogart that tag Danai ...

... uhm ... uh ...

I still say the suits have to go in order for the films to be watchable. Except in my case, where the more I cover the goods, the better any spectators will feel about spectating.

That moped's going to be a bitch to ride home. The time is right for poop to happen.

Last edited:
THE FREEDIVER movie

hey!

The Freediver will be screening at the BIOS Open in Cyprus.

Does anyone know ifthey released the IMAX movie on Pipin and Umberto to DVD? If not are they planning on it? I missed it in the theatres and am very interested in checking it out. I believe it was called "Oceanmen."

Thanks-
MAtt

Hi MAtt,
i wrote a mail to some guys i know from the oceanmen-team, because i was involved and they told me, that they think about a dvd, nothing sure, but the think about it :)
the problem is, that h5b5 is bankrubtcy ...
there was also a tv-documentary, with the most pictures of the imax-movie, but much longer, i think 2 hours ...
this is the greates movie!!!!! pipin dived with wales, umberto with ama-divers ...
and don´t forget my music-video :))))))))
greetings
chris

'The FreeDiver' trailer seems interesting..
and more realistic than 'Big Blue'. I wish there's no tragedy in this movie. Fed up of ppl thinking apnea=plunge into the sea and carried out dead.
The actress also has a resemblance with Milla Jovovich (SP?) who drives me crazy!! :)

Watch out for a review of The Freediver on DB within days. I was at a private press screening a few weeks ago and had a chance to catch up with Alki David as well.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT