• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Freediver Movie??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
FYI the freediver movie was not shown in Cyprus. some kind of mess up... shame as everyone was keen to see it...

sponsors BIOS (?) didn't show up at all in fact so no one really understood what the whole thing was about

but hey if the money made it possible, thanks guys!

hello stephan,
"the biggest freediving movie after 'big blue' ...." ....
really? i think oceanmen is was/is really great ... looking forward to see the movie!!!!
chris

Hehehe - well I was being picky as OceanMen isn't strictly a Movie but more of a Docu-Drama - but you're right it was very, very good - just a shame that the production company went bust and the movie dropped off the release radar.

you are also right - its more a docu and of course its a shame, but there is a small hope, that in the future a dvd is avaible ...

Nooooooooo, another freediving tragedy!!
Why not make a freediving movie/documentary without any deads?
Don't you all think that media is hurting the sport?
Last weekend I was teaching (or trying to hehe) some freediving to a friend.. and he enjoyed a lot his new skills. After the session, he told me: ' I though this apnea think was about suffering, being uncomfortable and feeling the dead near you'

I bring my apologies to anyone who might be offended about what I am to say, but nevertheless I think I should introduce my opinion.

First of all, you DO NOT promote a sport with a movie that involves pseudo-epic tragedy and stereotypical characters such as the ego-larger-than-brain athlete and the gimme-dat-record-at-all-costs-or-die-trying trainer. Out of all sports known to man, freediving is perhaps the least approving of ultra-competitive approach. I mean, the way the poor girl worked out in the movie's trailer reminded me of the approach of the stereotypical couch potato weekend warrior whose preferred form of exercise is spinning the pedals at 120 miles per hour for half a minute, then collapsing of a heart attack. Too many sporting movies make the same mistake: they mention iron will, discipline and guts as the only components that distinguish a world champion from an ordinary person, totally forfeiting one of the most important factors: Never overstressing oneself for a breakthrough, knowing one's limits and only increasing them slowly but surely and safely. This approach to depiction of sports has two major consequences, neither of them beneficial: first, it causes the general public to treat athletes as superhumans, posessing qualities unattainable by any ordinary person, which is, for the most part, untrue. Second, it causes those who don't become discouraged by the first part to train recklessly and irresponsibly, believing this is the only way to achieve progress, "because that's what Rocky did".

What complicates the problem even more is that very few athletes complain about the fallacity of the way they are represented, mainly because the current approach makes many a world champion revered and idolized, which constitutes an ego boost of the kind that very few people are able to reject.
Ironically, while freedivers tend to make an exception from this rule, the ever-increasing popularity of the sport still has the downside of the media attempting to instill false sportmanship romanticism in the general public.

Faster. Higher. Deeper. While the record-pursuing rush and competitive anger in minor, controlled doses can indeed become a powerful incentive to win, particularly in combative sports, freediving is a sport where success demands from the sportsman to be driven not by a desire to win, but by an individual, personal motivation: a philosophical or ecological statement, a desire to experience the marvel of the Big Blue unhindered, or simply a wish to understand oneself better. This is what Luc "Big Badda Boom" Besson actually understood and what the authors of "The Freediver" seem to refuse to acknowledge. It is a well-known fact that becoming a diver was one of Besson's childhood's dreams. However, a ruptured ear drum made him unable to dive for life, and this is how an idea of the tribute to his dreams was born.

You might say that "The Big Blue" and "The Freediver" share the same kind of exaggerated representation of the sport. But I am not willing to forgive the authors of the current movie the same way I forgave Besson. Reason? Freediving has changed over the years. During Mayol's days, it was an unbelievable feat, a circus attraction, a leap of faith for the brave. Right now, it is a sport that rapidly gains public popularity, has numerous research projects dedicated to it and numerous competing official organisations endorsing its rules. And this is why I refuse to acknowledge "The Freediver" as a mean to raise POSITIVE public awareness of the sport.

To top it all, this movie has quite a perverse relationship with facts. In 1999, a Greek student by the name of Danai Varveri indeed accomplished an unassisted dive to 35 meters. Ironically enough, no one ever gave a damn. The dive was promoted as a world record in a new (unapproved) category, while, as far as I know, there were better performances in constant weight without fins beforehand. Hence, the dive did not exactly qualify as a world record, and, with all due respect to her, the only thing Ms. Varveri had managed to accomplish was to make a bold ecological and fashion statement (It's cold down there, mind you. Read Yasemin's account on her latest record to get a grip on why "natural apnea" is a hopeless category).

This is where it starts to get ugly. Since facts didn't attract sponsors, BIOS decided to go for drama. That means love, stereotypical characters and fatalities. Now, if one deviates from real life by such a large degree, one should at least rename the main character and tell that all similarity, as they always write in the disclaimer, is strictly coincidental. Instead, we get more real-life puns, such as a competing diver named Maggie (Heaney-Grier?).

Since the movie's plot has apparently nothing to do with the real life Danai Varveri, then:

If you want a drama, why not fictionalize it?
If you want a realistic drama, why not discuss a real case of freediver's death or injury (As Cameron supposedly did)?
If you want a promotion movie, why not make this a documentary about Hannah Stacey, who was the stunt freediver and set two records during the production of the movie?

Fishy.

-Levi.

Levi,

Interesting comments. However, 'natural apnea' is not a hopeless category. In the winter of 2003, I did a 35m unassisted dive without any wetsuit, in 8C water, and even an easy 22m dive in 4C water, also without a suit. In constant weight with fins, I never use a wetsuit anymore for deep diving, and in the last few weeks I have made many dives in the 70-73m range without a wetsuit, with a 10C thermocline at 3m and an 8C thermocline at 20m. So, 'natural apnea' is very possible, and even this upcoming weekend at the CAFA championships, I will be doing my dive without a suit, in the same cold water.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Following on from Eric's "pick up on one tiny part of Levi's mammoth post" I choose the bit about Luc Besson's ruptured eardrum.........I'm sure I read in the booklet that came with Le Grand Bleu full length version that Mayol took Besson down on a dive, then afterwards asked him if he 'got it' YES/NO? ;)

Luc even filmed underwater footage... it is true that Luc suffered from a ruptured eardrum, but it seemed that the forbidding of him diving was only temporal in his life.

Still, I agree to some degree with Levi's post that all the fatalities aren't quite good for the sport. In that regard, I am afraid that Cameron's movie, independent of how much it would follow the truth, will also give people more the idea that freedivers are suicide happy people.

Something I wouldn't like to see myself as...

Rik

I'm also disapointed reading the things I read over here!

Why is there so much need for deaths?

The script to me looks like a superficial story to be "average public proof".

I would like to see a diferent movie, more experimental more daring, more inteligent, more deep. compared to what I've red here.

Maybe I'll write a story about it.

I expect I'll rate this movie in between Phoenix Blue and 'Le Grand blue' . I'll rate Phoenix Blue 5,5/10 and Le Grand Blue 9/10.

Anyway I find many 'blockbusting' movies very disapointing.

I'll go see it though.

Kars

We have just finished making a freediving doco for Discovery. Its different, no records, no deaths obviously some drama and should be out early 2005.

Natural apnea

Hi

Eric: When you dive "natural" I suppose you can't do regular "warm up dives" that would get the core temperatur down? (the time is limited?)
I can't even imagine how cold I would be if I tried...:confused:

I dive with a 6mm suit here and the surface temp. is 10-12, termocline at 15-20m 6 degrees.

Alki, your words should be written across the sky in
giant fiery letters:

IT'S A MOVIE, NOT A DOCUMENTARY!

So many people don't seem to grasp the difference. They take for granted that all moving images are representations of fact.

Bad for reason, bad for art. Good for advertisers and propagandists.

Okay, okay! I hear you! - it's only a movie.

Let's get Mr Cranky to review this movie then :D(www.mrcranky.com I have no affiliations with them)

Here's an example of how he reviews,

"Frankly, I'm fed up with this whole "inspired by" thing that directors are now using. What this term really means is "we're lying about almost everything." It used to be that filmmakers said their movie was "based upon" something, but now directors use "inspired by" so they can just make up whatever facts they want and not be sued. My question: Why even bother?" - Mr Cranky on 'Catch Me If You Can'

The real Danai Varveri must be spinning in her grave! Wait! She's still alive! ... Isn't she? :duh

Peter S.
(saw the movie:()

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT