• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Guernsey specimen hunt and social 2019

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I glued up and added a strip of Mahogany either side of yesterdays work, with ebony veneer In between each piece.

Ebony is an endangered tree, it is very differcult to buy any large or good quality pieces nowadays. I am not sure what you would call someone who illegally cuts down an endangered tree..tree poacher perhaps... some of the remaining trees are protected by armed patrols but due to their value, there are very few mature specimens left.
For the last 100 years ebony has been the number one choice for musical instruments, guitar fretboards and piano keys are obvious ones. A single piano key can sell for £4 on eBay,
Anyway I have had that Veneer for many years and I collect any piece I see in car boots or charity shops, elephant and Buddha carvings are the most likely finds.
I plan to use some ebony in other areas on this gun.

I am going to have a go at setting it up as an inverted roller gun!
Basically this means the bands are underneath and only a 4mm cord is visible on top.
I have desperately tried to get the components together locally but I had to buy a kit from Greece in the end !
The main benefit as I see it is the fact that the spear is propelled right to the end of the gun, normally the spear starts to loss power 300mm before the end of the gun.

Last edited:
I have done quite a bit more although it doesn’t look like it...

Attachments

• A712DC2E-2BB2-403A-A236-142A9413FE16.jpeg
    A712DC2E-2BB2-403A-A236-142A9413FE16.jpeg
    869 KB · Views: 240
I’d be keen to come along to the sat social if that’s ok with you Mart? I’ll no doubt come along to at least one of the dives and lend a hand too.

Reactions: Trelawney
Yes of course mate, did you want to join us on Sun evening as well?

Last edited:
So last chance for meal choice as final numbers are going in this week... missing ....John Norman, Dorset Nick, Mac Tuli , Dan le Marchant, Kristian Allen and Kerin.

Hi Mart, apologies, really confused, was convinced I had replied to this.

No a problem, very keen.

Frito Miso
Moule frites a la creme
Brownie

for me please

Reactions: foxfish
Only a few weeks to go now....
I am still trying to confirm exact numbers but it looks like we have at least 18 divers for the competition.
We will be taking in the food order tomorrow ... still missing a couple of menus choices ...
I will get some more accurate figures up in a day or two!
Unfortunately I don’t think we will have any Apnea support this year but there will be a first prize ‘gun’ and Spaniard has ‘again’ fronted up a couple of other prizes. .....All hail Spaniard!
Of course there will be bass on the menu this year....
844D38FF-8831-4E30-9D41-DB93762F1DA1.jpeg
this year...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT