• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Guernsey specimen hunt and social 2019

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
There weather forecast is not brilliant but we have had far worse .... South Westerly wind all next week with a moderate 12-14 mph wind.
So as usual, it does not look great for the west coast marks and I would not be surprised if we fish the same venues as last year.
The forecast has gotten even worse!
Presently showing strong SW for 24 hours from Friday evening.
Perhaps it won’t happen as bad, still a few more days to disparate or move course .... fingers crossed.

IMPORTANT VIEWING & VOTE

Evening chaps, hopefully I've been able to get hold of you via Facebook etc.

A group of us having been in discussion with regards to some of this years fish sizes and measuring technique from our experience last year. I have passed on the thoughts to Martyn and understandably he wasn't impressed with the late hour in which this is being brought to the table.
However, if the following suggestions get a majority approval then he'll allow us to make up a revised measuring board and list to be used this weekend.

The fish lengths that we feel needing dropping are:- Gilt Head, Mackerel, Red Mullet, Pollock, Sole, Plaice and Bass(didn't feature last year due to ban)

The reason behind this would be to see more realistic sized fish of these species potentially make it on to the board and help improve the expectations of the divers. I understand the intention of the comp is to target Specimens but it would be nice not to have to second guess when you only have a split second to react anyway and I know personally its not a great feeling to take undersized fish to the weigh in.

Propsed Drop in Sizes:-

Gilt 35cm from 40cm
Mak 25cm from 28cm
Pollock 40cm from 45cm
Sole 30cm from 36cm
Plaice 30 cm from36cm
Bass 50cm

Also proposed is that the fish be measured to the tip of the tail and not the V of it.

This proposal requires a majority therefore I would appreciate your responses in order to implement any potential changes in time without any more inconvenience to Martyn.

Please respond with a straight forward YES or NO

Cheers for your time

Sorry tipticiter I don’t know you, are you one of this years events organisers with Martyn?

Apologies for the late response as well Mart but will be just myself on the Sunday [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: foxfish
No. Sorry, dont support this

Imo, the some of suggested the fish sizes wld be too small specifically plaice, sole and pollock .
Re measurement, I measure my fish from snout to tip of tail, so would have no problem with doing that but using the current sizes and same board.

The main point for me, however, is that this I am a guest at this social spearfishing event and would not support any changes unless our generous hosts and organisers, were entirely happy with them

Ok this is my perspective... I am extremely disappointed that this vote is even taking place and I don’t agree with the suggestions.
The whole concept of the competition has always been intended to be a social and fun event, based on sustainable fishing.

As spear fishermen we have a choice to take a fish or not depends on our reasons.

With the new suggested size limits, we would be shooting at considerably smaller fish leaving much less margin for error and taking us away from the concept of a specimen fish!

I guess I am most disappointed that these proposals were not offered months ago, it was the same last year with changing the times at the last moment!

However it does seem the majority want to see a change and I most of all, wish the event to be a happy one.

I would like to offer a compromise in that we could simply measure the fish from head to end of tail ?

If however the majority still wish to see the much reduced size limits then I will go with the flow.

In any event, I will take this opportunity to state that this will be the last db event.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT