• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Individual AIDA Word Championships in France - September

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

donmoore

Aug 19, 2002
Isn’t it about time we start talking about this? There could be so much history in the making. Now that AIDA has eliminated the equipment rules, if understand it correctly, almost anything is legal – wet equalization, fluid goggles, neck weights. Although Martin Stephanic, Herbert Nitsch, and Carlos Coste, are my heroes, do the new rules open it up for the guys with out super natural equalizing ability?

Since the equipment rules have been lifted for contests there is no reason to limit the world record CB attempts to well-funded athletes who can afford a world record only attempts. Anyone who can pay the entry fee and the trip can now participate with good well-organized safety. Way to go AIDA!

Maybe guys like Wals from Australia (sorry I forgot your last name), Walrus db name, will be up there with the big guys. Who knows! What if Sebastien Murat showed!

Then there is Tom Sietas. Is he going to go with something to prove since he wasn’t invited to the IWC World Static Apnea Contest?

So far I have heard that Martin Stephanic and Mandy-Rae Cruickshank are going to compete. I also heard Tanya Streeter is going, but I don’t know if its just because of her affiliation with AIDA or if she is going to compete. Wouldn’t it be cool to see her compete again?

This could be exciting!
don

Last edited:
I just looked at Tanya’s web site and she is competing at the Worlds! The women’s competition with Mandy-Rae Cruickshank, Annabel Briseno's, Tanya Streeter, and who knows else, could be just as exciting as the men! How many years did Tanya hold the women’s CB record? Wasn’t it like 8? There wasn’t any reason for her to try and improve it since nobody was even close until last year when Mandy broke it. Now maybe Tanya's out to reclaim it! This is awesome, the best are going to go head-to-head!
don

Peter Pederson of Denmark has been training to do 100m in CW. He did a 75m dive at the last comp in Nice and apparently has improved greatly since then.

Natalia Molchanova of Russia did a joke easy 76m dive in training (with a mask) and from what I heard she expects nothing less than victory.

Wish I could have gone!

Stepanek also confirmed... I would assume he will try to defend the CW title from Coste and Nitsch....

w00t!!... exciting september!!

Martin Stepanek was in Vancouver last weekend, he confirmed to me that once again (as in 2004) he enters the CW competition with no training....

Some people are just naturals I guess!

I think no training to Martin means he hasn’t be doing deep-water dives. I think the man is a workout animal who can’t stay out of the gym. He sure looks like it anyway!

I don’t think Martin ever attempts anything without being in top shape. Exercising is a part of who he is.
don

efattah said:
Peter Pedersen of Denmark has been training to do 100m in CW. He did a 75m dive at the last comp in Nice and apparently has improved greatly since then.

I agree with you... Last time I saw him was in Marseille at the Calanques'cup... He couldn't compete in CW on Saturday because of the bad weather... He did 197 m in dynamic on Sunday... and told me he would get up very early on Monday morning to do a deep dive with Jean-Michel Pradon before his flight... His target was 80 m then... but he might have improved a lot...

120 seems a little exageratted (sp?) to me they'll probably go with smaller increments.

It's more fun if it's exageratted (sp?). :)
But I don't think it's unrealistic if Carlos, Martin and Herbert all dove with a mask to 105m (while training in cyprus 04 if my information is correct).
That's atleast another liter of spare air if one doesn't have to equalize the mask to that depth. Though it could be that they didn't equalize it past 40 meters and just let it squeeze, I don't know.
Anyway, it puts the emphasis back on propulsion and o2 for consciousness rather than equalization.
Considering Martin's 80m unassited, I think he might have the reserves for propulsion. :)

Maybe you can ask Carlos for a speculation? :) though he might wanna keep his cards at the sleeve at such an early point.

I am beginning to believe that re-inhaling the air from the mask in the last 20m may cause a direct O2 transfer through the sinuses to the brain, allowing a freediver to delay a SWB. If this hypothesis is correct, it would allow some divers to actually go deeper with a mask, assuming that they could:
1) equalize hands free on the descent
and
2) equalize to 120m+ and be limited only by O2

We will have a phantastic match: Herbert, Martin & Carlos...

Who is the new world champion?

I am sure, after Nice the new world record in constant weight will be more than 115m!

efattah said:
I am beginning to believe that re-inhaling the air from the mask in the last 20m may cause a direct O2 transfer through the sinuses to the brain, allowing a freediver to delay a SWB. If this hypothesis is correct, it would allow some divers to actually go deeper with a mask, assuming that they could:
1) equalize hands free on the descent
and
2) equalize to 120m+ and be limited only by O2
That's extremely intriguing.
Do you (or anyone) know if there are any capillaries close to the sinues' surface that take blood into the brain? I'de assume that larger blood vesseles won't get oxygenated from the (sinus) tissues they pass through on their way to the brain due to thick vessel walls. I'm ready to be told otherwise though.
Any medical-proffession person around with some nice book? :)

(some day I'm gonna start practicing inhaling this snot-rich air.)

Hey Wolle, I hope that's from internal information. ;)

I assume there is bone between sinus and the brain. As sinus is a cavity in the bone ... I don't think you could actually breathe through sinus. Still intersting.

Last edited:
Any news on how training is going?.
I thought that Manolis Giankos was to compete, but he isn't on the new list.

Ryuzo has apparently reached -90m.
Look for Theo Ivanovic from USA as a dark horse for the top 8.

Otherwise I haven't heard much yet...

After seeing Natalia M. do her performances / world records in Renens i have no doubt that she will win. She is an efficient russian machine.
And her son is just plane scary. CW record maybe not this year for him but next year..... .......

I have never seen any freediving woman more professional than Natalia Molchanova. She carries out an integral approach to freediving on a high level of perfection. Not only a physical one. A true living legend. I hope she is completing her journey for the 4 gold medals in all apnea disciplines. :p

Paul Kotik, let's have an in-depth interview with the fabulous Ms. Molchanova!!!

All in favour say aye!

Yes, no mention of her in Paul's previous arcticle?
Strange considering he did discuss other athletes
at the indoor championships, and she set 3 world records!
I don't think any freediver, man or woman has ever done that before. Know quite a few that set 1 WR in a single competition. Anyone know if someone has even done 2WR's in a competition before ?

Cheers,
Wal

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT