• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Individual AIDA Word Championships in France - September

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Congratulations to Nanja Van Denbroek with her CW 56 meters in the Championships! The Dutch Mafia are coming in CW also!

Erlend
(Pelizzaris course in Sharm May 05)

Natalias increased performances over the past couple of years reflects her lifetime of Russian competitive finswimming. These swimmers are the future of freediving records. Once they learn to convert to basic freediving principles, they progress immediatly. Also check out Bevan Dewars improvements over the past couple years. These people are always in the water. Imagine how the records would increase if people like Ian Thorpe were to take up freediving or if most of us were able to become 'real' atheletes and not have to work for a living.

Mention has previously been made of various divers small increases in target depth over a similar period. A very interesting observation and possibly due to indviduals not having a substantial training program. They rely on doing a little better than last year and diving safe, rather than going for it all year in training. Freediving is still a recreational sport.

Stay Wet.

Reactions: DeepThought
Natalia told me that she trains 7 days per week 365 days per year of which 5 days per week average in water and 2 days more relaxing yoga stuff etc So does Alexei.

People like most of us who train a couple or less times per week because of jobs , pool access , family live etc have no real chance anymore against this kind of regime / approach..

The russians are here and here to stay !

this does not surprise me in the least. i'm curious to know whether they have access to deep water in Russia? does anyone know?

Alun said:
i'm curious to know whether they have access to deep water in Russia? does anyone know?

Yeah. The deepest lake in the world, for example :) Baikal - 1741m... Which gives Natalia really nice enviroment to train in :D

I'm worried about the two red cards - anybody knows something about Mandy-Rae and Natalia Avseenko?

ah, well that's a big advantage.

what are the conditions like in there? cold, dark? any idea?

just looked it up on google earth. it seems to be very far from Moscow (further than Dahab!). i can't imagine they train there often.

Last edited:
No, these Russians are ex World Champion or top international finswimmers (previously Freediving has only seen Herbert and Martin with such a claim). They are not freedivers with years of depth experience. They are novices.................. its scary.

Seems like Natalia made it! Incredible...Can't wait for tomorrow...

Last edited:
I like to see what is possible, if one trains like a professional.
But I love to see what is possible, if one trains and has to work every day.

My hearts pulses for the amateur sport.

I think that is the last worldchampionship, where an amateur can be the winner! :-(

Go Herbert Go!

greetings,
Wolle

Reactions: DeepThought
alun,

natalia comes to dahab very often recently, maybe more than once a month.
she comes for courses, and she does her deep stuff. recently she did the arch togheter with her son. the rest of her training is happening in the pool, from what i heard.

cheers

Natalia did her 86m in a very slow 3'33"... mean speed 0.8m/s. being into finswimming i would have expected her time to be quite fast - maybe nearly a minute faster even.

great photos Jorg!

As the official computer is D9, Hope to see the record dive profiles (in fact, I'll like to see all the dive profiles)

what happened to the 2 red cards? bo's?
anybody know?
i was diving with the other natalia (avseenko) a month ago, and she did a couple of very smooth dives to 60+.
as for molchanova she must have kept her improvements secret, because hte last thing i knew of her is this 74 (or 76?). i know she was back in dahab in august again, but 10 extra meters in such a short time sounds crazy.
any gossip??

linda

Natalias slow dive. Presume she was using a monofin? I expect she used normal speed for the first 20-30metres and slowed down under negative bouyancy (made no effort whatever) in order to concentrate on equalising. I guess this being her main learning curve. She will be 100% comfortable in apnea sprints and will always know that she can always kick to cover the last 50metres to get back to the surface within 15 - 20 seconds if she wanted too. Remember, freedivers tend to do everything slow underwater, finswimmers do it flat out, so Natalias experience is fast. She must feel fantastic when she does it slow. Wish I was there.

both Natalia and Alex seem to have improved a LOT in recent months. when i met them in Dahab last December Alex was doing low 60s in CW if i remember rightly and even had a BO from an 85m variable dive. now he's doing almost the same depth but in CW! i can't remember what depth Natalia was doing in CW then -maybe late 60s or 70? something like that. i also seem to remember she went for 43m unassisted but had a tiny samba on her first attempt and was clean on her second. i'm sure she could easily do 50m+ unassisted in her current form.

i think the 2 red cards must have been for BOs.

i'm interested to know what proportion of competitors are still using masks and how many are using goggles, nose clips etc. can anyone answer that?

Well, I hate to say it, but my prediction for the lotto in women's CW:

1. Molchanova 80m (actual result Molchanova 86m)
2. Lotta Ericson 61m (actual result Lotta Ericson 65m)
3. Random pick, Sophie 60m, (she didn't show up) -> INCORRECT

I predicted a BO from Mandy from 80m so I didn't put her on the list. She's a great diver but these cold conditions are not her specialty and she had very little time from arriving in France to the day of the competition, which I also knew would happen.

However 75% of people picked Mandy as #1, so my chance of winning the F1 is looking pretty good!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT