• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Individual AIDA Word Championships in France - September

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I just watch the last video of training from the PFD team. It appeared to have Martin breathing up and descending wearing a Sphera mask, but on his ascent he was clearly wearing fluid goggles and a paradisia nose plug. To make that change while diving must have been a real feat! ;)

It also had a Herbert Nitsch training dive and he appeared to wearing the same Seal mask with tube in it, that he allows to fill up with water, he used to set the CW record in 2003.

So it looks like maybe two of the favorites are taking advantage of the new equipment rules.
don

107m! that is just scary. when he picks up his tag he would really have to look UP to see 100m! mind boggling...

these were my Lotto predictions. i didnt put Herbert up there because i somehow got the impression he hadnt been diving so much lately. maybe that's true - but he can still dive mega deep!

Martin 105 - slight overestimate
Carlos 104 - pretty much bang on
Guillaume 100 - pretty close guess. i reckon he could well have done 105+ in training.

Mandy 80 - correct guess
Natalia 75 - underestimated a lot!... by 11m!
Lotta 68 - pretty close

Wow...

A lot of people going for 80+. A year or two ago that would've been pretty much podium...

I'd like to see Herbert up there, let's see...

So, will Natalia go after the NL and Variable records next? :)

yeah - it's amazing how the standards move on so quickly.
80 isn't such a big deal any more.

Looking at the list of announced performances, it is interesting to see which long time veteran competitors have not progressed from their announced performances over the last few years. The british team for example, saw hardly any change from last year. Where are you, Alun? :) Jean-Michel Pradon is going only 4 metres deeper than he went in 2000 in Nice. The German women as well and Swiss.

And for once, a REAL rivalry in both men's AND women's events:

WOMEN
Natalia Molchanova 86m
(does she not remind you of Herbert "the flying fish" Nitsch who in Ibiza almost broke the static record after doing 86m in constant and 89m in training?) She is so exciting and has obviously figured out how to train right from the start. Or else she has a history of elite training and had that extra jump start. Anyone know her background?

Mandy-Rae Cruickshank 80m
I knew she would announce 80m. It's a nice round number. From her training reports it sounds like she's reached 80m+ or been very close. Her asset here will be experience, but with the Natalia threatening, the pressure will be on! Good luck, Mandy!

With all these women so close the battle for third will be tough. And if Mandy or Natalia have bitten off more than they can chew, these women may battle for the top three spots:

Lotta Ericson 65m - she didn't have a great indoor worlds, so she may be looking to get this one in the bag.
Malara Mattia 64m - an Italian!
Megumi Matsumoto 60m - Showed her potential in Worlds 2004 with an easy dive.
Annanda Escudero Gomes 60m - Trains in Canada with Mandy-Rae in Vancouver. Going for a new Brazilian record!

MEN
Herbert Nitsch 107m
Equalizing at depth always appeared to be iffy for Herbert without his pipe mask. But now he can use it. The question is whether the 107m is for the intimidation factor or whether we'll soon see Herbert regain status as the top dog in constant weight. If so, it's nice to see him back in the game!

Carlos Coste 105m
I fully expect Carlos to make this dive. Given that Herbert has something to prove and that he's never beaten Carlos and Martin in recent memory, Carlos could end up on top.

Guillame Nery 103m
He is at home. So either the pressure will be too much or he'll have a great time. Nice to see him back, too, as the veteran "young gun" - now that Alexey Molchanov has been minted the New Young Gun.

Martin Stepanek 100m
Is he having a bad week? :) Perhaps he is content to let his challengers wear themselves out trying to break his record. If they do, that means he has a new record to break in the PFI record-breaking machine.

For all of these guys equalizing will be the difference. We've seen them turn early. Martin's 98m in Cyprus because he was cold and couldn't equalize as well as usual. Herbert turning very early in the 80s... There is little room for error even if you have wide eustachian tubes!

Who will be the next 100m contender?
Timo Jattu - 90m (getting closer!)
Timo Kinnunen - 86m (not bad for a guy who says he has little time to train)
Peter Pedersen - 85m (surely has 100m in him, but his limited ocean training may be an indication of the shallower depth than expected. Could equalizing be an issue?)
Johan Dahlstrom - 84m
Ryuzo Shinomiya - 83m
Alexey Molchanov - 82m
Juraj Karpis - 82m
Kaz Ichikawa - 80m

Here's a list of divers who I think would surely be in it if they were all competing:
-Sebastien Murat (okay, we all know why)
-Eric Fattah (was 12m away in 2001, and is now twice the freediver he was then)
-Umberto Pelizzarri (98m is good enough for me)
-Tom Sietas (if he actually spent some time in the ocean!)

Anyone else?

Exciting, exciting! Wish I was there!

you missed out Bevan... he was 7m away last year, and probably would have done 100 if the Blue Hole was deep enough! :)

as for me, i've hardly dived this year... maybe next year.

I got up out of bed today with the only motivation to see the announced performances!! And I wasn't disappointed.

I'd say the biggest surprise is Jattu's -90m.

Herbert's 107m is cool, I really hope he makes it.

Let's keep in mind that both Martin & Mandy are in what they would consider VERY COLD water. They both have poor cold tolerance and I heard they are both trying to use their 3mm suits in the 'cold' water of Nice, which, by contrast, is 6-7C colder than in Cayman.

What is also interesting is that now that Martin seems to be using goggles (and can flood his sinuses), you'd figure that equalizing wouldn't be a problem for him, so his 100m announcement may not be motivated by equalizing. Perhaps he recalls last year when Carlos won with 102m, though both Martin & Herbert had deeper announcements.

I still think Herbert has the right idea by pulling up from his dives free immersion style. He's been doing that since 2000; train the legs hard and dive with them, except in the last training days before the competition, use the arms on the way up. Personally I found that lactic acid from a deep dive would stay in my legs for 5 days, and I know David Lee found the same thing, and it seems Herbert has too.

Well, I predicted Natalia to win with 80m, and I predicted Guillaume for 3rd.

It will be also interesting to see all the new faces over 80m.

It sure makes me wish I was there and competing..... oh well.... maybe 10 years from now when I have money.

Reactions: DeepThought
Women's list sorted:

Molchanova 86m
Mandy 80m

Avseenko 66m
Lotta 65m
Mattia 64m
Ananda 60m
Megumi 60m

Debuissy 57m
Howe 57m
Stacey 57m
Iru 56m
Flores 56m
Van Denbroek 56m

Morinaga 54m
Kitchen 52m
Nordblad 52m
Hirai 52m
Kitahama 52m
Asso 50m
Kedenburg 50m

Massacand 48m
Rollero 48m
Banegas 48m
Leutenegger 46m
Heidenreich 43m
Gesmann 42m
Simone 42m
Ghossoub 35m
Stojanovic 20m

Notice that the last two Ghossoub and Stojanovic are going for less than the minimum of 40m--- also their athlete number is not a number but a letter 'A' and 'B'. Not sure what that means.

I wonder how many people picked Avseenko for 3rd!

Here's another interesting twist, look at the top two training pairs:

Molchanova 86m, Avseenko 66m (20m difference)
Mandy 80m, Ananda 60m (20m difference)

Men's list sorted:

Nitsch 107m
Coste 105m
Nery 103m
Stepanek 100m

Jattu 90m
Kinnunen 86m
Pederson 85m
Dhalstrom 84m
Shinomiya 83m
Molchanov 82m
Karpis 82m
Ichikawa 80m

Williams 76m
Zeljko 75m
Verbeck 75m
Winram 74m
Lehtonen 74m
Charras 74m
Schneider 72m
Pradon 71m
Gautier 70m
Ivanovic 70m

Belmont 67m
Lianos 66m
Grindevoll 66m

Haug 65m
Still 65m
Colat 64m
Talbot 64m
Milles 63m
Charlton 62m
Weinmann 62m
Gustavsson 62m
Antinori 61m
Harris 60m
Joki 60m

Oshima 55m
Mihailovski 55m
Levi 55m
Zarrou 50m

Stojanovic 42m

Jattu at 90m and Karpis at 82m are both surprising. Otherwise there are many national record attempts.

Interestingly, no one is going for a depth which ends in 8 or 9.

As always the huge gap between 90m and 100m.

correct me if i'm wrong, but Pete was suggesting that Seb Murat might be the next person to reach 100m officially. he said "we all know why" because it's well known that Sebastien has already done 100+ CW (105m in fact). from what i know i don't think he's likely to ever bother doing 100m officially. i think he's more interested in working on his research and developing his new style of diving (exhale, no fins) than setting records.

"Interestingly, no one is going for a depth which ends in 8 or 9."

... yeah, i've noticed that before... that's always the case. i'm sure records would show that the highest BO/samba rates are among those going for round numbers, 60, 70, 80 etc because they often push themselves that extra metre or two! :)

Thanks Alun, took the words right out of my mouth. Wolle, I'm at work, so I can't keep this window open all day long! :)

You're right, Bevan should be on the list.

These were my picks:
1. Martin 107m
2. Carlos 105m
3. Herbert 100m

1. Molchanova 82m
2. Mandy-Rae 80m
3. Lotta Ericson 67m

Now had I actually entered the lotto, I might not be doing so badly!

laminar said:
Thanks Alun, took the words right out of my mouth. Wolle, I'm at work, so I can't keep this window open all day long! :)

sorry. but I heard rumours that he wanted to dive without fins also...
and this is not allowed in constant weight competitions any further. I thought he had the same problem than me.

I`m not in nice.

Hi Wolle,

I think he wanted to enter without fins but the organizers wouldn't allow it. Is that what you wanted to do?

Cool, they seem to be updating the results as they come in. This is the way it should be for every competition!

Too bad Johanna had to give up. She had very bad equalization problems in warmup and felt there's no point in completing the dive...

jome said:
Cool, they seem to be updating the results as they come in. This is the way it should be for every competition!

yes! very cool.
the next step will be a webcam on the surface...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT