• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tom Sietas: new website / new record attempts

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Again some good media coverage...
So what is Tom capable of? Last I heard is that he did 225 dynamic with fins en 200 dynamic without fins in training. And that's already many months ago...

Jorg said:
225 dynamic with fins en 200 dynamic without fins in training.

:|

Oh... my.... god...

I am just hoping one day he'll try for depth disciplines...

Last I heard is that he did 250 dynamic with fins en 221 dynamic without fins in training...

Balázs

He surely is remarkable. I would really like to know his progress from when he started. How long did it take for him to reach his first 6, 7, 8 mins. The same goes for dynamic. Did he hit 100+ almost at once or did it take some weeks of training? What about 150m?

Someone doing the results he does must be putting in a lot of training, but still it would be interesting to know the rate of his progress.

perow1 said:
I would really like to know his progress from when he started...
There is some information on his website, including record history, but there are also many interviews available online where he explains much more. I remember quite a detailed and long one, (that unfortunately I cannot find right now), where he explained his beginnings, the way he trains (daily), the story with the false positive doping test and much more. When looking for it right now, I found just couple of short interviews. This one is in German an although it does not contain too much facts, it is interesting too. I like the answer for the question "Does the respiratory technique help you in daily life?", Tom answers: "Besides that I do not need to breath in public toilets..." :D

I remember to have seen an interview of this kind aswell. I do not remember much of it though. I remember something similar to what you wrote as well. The record history on his website is not exactly what I was talking about. I am more curious about his first years as a diver. That interest goes for many of the top divers.

Thank you for the link! I will translate it and read it. Hopefully someone knows about that other article you talked about and i have in mind aswell.

As for not breathing in public toilets this is a great advantage of apnea. But since much of apnea is about relaxing my times tend to be shorter in the stressful environemt of a public toilet. rofl

perow1 said:
I remember to have seen an interview of this kind aswell. I do not remember much of it though...<snip>
I do not remember much either, but I think he told he begun with freediving once he was in holidays and surprised his snorkelling instructor when he dove below 20m on his very first snorkelling dives to explored the riff there. She brought him then to the idea to start with freediving more seriously.

trux said:
I do not remember much either, but I think he told he begun with freediving once he was in holidays and surprised his snorkelling instructor when he dove below 20m on his very first snorkelling dives to explored the riff there. She brought him then to the idea to start with freediving more seriously.

Yeah, he has not impressed as much in the depth disciplines (YET) though. It is more his PB-curve in his world record holding disciplines I am interested in. To become great you have to have talent and determination. I wonder on wich level he (and many other top divers) stared. Hopefully someone knows something about the article we are speaking about too.

Great website by the way. It is easier to search now and I enjoy the clips, especially the clip from his 180m DNF record in japanese. Somehow japanese can sound very exciting. :)

perow1 said:
Yeah, he has not impressed as much in the depth disciplines (YET) though.
I think it is because he messed up his lung residual volume by extreme packing and gets easily squeezed in depth. Wouldn't he have the squeeze problems, he would certainly do very nice depths with the time he can use. Personally, I am not a depth addict, and would prefere being able to stay 5+ minutes in 20m enjoying the environment, than rushing 200m down and up.

Last edited:
trux said:
I like the answer for the question "Does the respiratory technique help you in daily life?", Tom answers: "Besides that I do not need to breath in public toilets..." :D
That's one useful application of apnea in everyday life. rofl
Some others...
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?p=547046#post547046"]Are you a picker?[/ame]
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?p=569068#post569068"]My first blackout[/ame]

Tom's dynamic distances are huge! I can't even imagine doing 100m, let alone 200+.

It is VERY comforting to know, that Tom has had sambas at 125m...Gives the rest of us a little more hope :)

I'm being serious. Sometimes we see guys doing performances that we think are impossible and we thing they were somehow born that way or something. But so far I've heard of no one reaching 200m in their first dive! But I've seen a lot of guys go to that 150+ club from having sambas at 100+ with dedicated training and a lot of hard work, some of them quite quickly...

Interesting he went from 6:09 (22.02.2003) to 7:48 (21.02.2004) that's a very big jump in one year specially for static. Usually static gets harder to progress in a few years of training. Until Tom I've never heard of anyone increasing 2 minutes in static in one year of training. If you look at Martin he was actually good at static from the very start. He certainly must have found a very effective way of training.

Wal

If we're talking competition records, not training records, it does not strike me as odd...Competition is a very different ball game, and especially in the beginning, before you have the experience and routine, for some they are a total unachievement.

For example, I was doing close to those times (6:20's) in competition, when I could routinely hit 7 in training and my pb was almost 7:30, and in last year's nationals I crapped out at 6:22 or something, having just set my then dry pb of 8:00 .

I think one of the biggest things Tom has done is that he's doing tons and tons of competitions and gathering the confidence and routine to perform well in those conditions. Most of us only do 1 or 2 comps per season! He's doing them by the dozen.

Progress get's harder the closer to your limit you are, but for someone with the right body type etc, I don't think a jump from 6-7 is that dramatic. Of course it is for someone, who's ultimate limit is closer to 7 than 10 :) But for someone "gifted", like Tom obviously is, that would equal the milestone some have at 5-6, I guess.

Hi,

I've just discovered this one... thanks for the compliments for the site. Please let me know any kind of feedback...

For the progress thing: The first years I did not do training as regularly and as often as today. The biggest jump and the first serious training for several weeks was in September 03 when I trained for the German Championships in deepdiving. My PB in statics went from 7'02 till 8'06'' within three weeks. The result in this comp. was 6'53''... In February my PB was 8'58'' and the result 7'48'' I was very disappointed. But later I got closer to my training results... :)

Hope this information is useful...

Kind regards, Tom

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT