• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tom Sietas: new website / new record attempts

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks for the personal input, Tom! Very appreciated that you cared to dip in.

I have another question for you - it will be almost 2 years that you've set the record of 8:58, and although your known personal best is somewhere around 10:08 (I believe), and you already did 9:24 in competition in Vancouver but intentionally got disqualified, everyone though you are going to set a new WR very soon. However, nothing happened since. What's the reason for this - is your form not OK for the new WR? Are there any contractual reasons? Do you wait that someone beats the old record first (Blaine? :D )? Or do you simply wait for a better occasion to do it?

Thank you Tom and others. As Jome wrote i find this info very useful. It can be off very great inspiration to find that some top divers once was at your own level. Sure it is a BIIIG step to go furter, but thats what is so good about this info. You KNOW that even the greats had to take this big leap.

jome said:
It is VERY comforting to know, that Tom has had sambas at 125m...Gives the rest of us a little more hope :)

I'm being serious. Sometimes we see guys doing performances that we think are impossible and we thing they were somehow born that way or something. But so far I've heard of no one reaching 200m in their first dive! But I've seen a lot of guys go to that 150+ club from having sambas at 100+ with dedicated training and a lot of hard work, some of them quite quickly...
That is true. When I was a newbie, I thought that my limit was always going to be the same, and no amount of training will make much difference. I soon discovered that hard work does pay off. :)

I know Tom's dynamic secret weapon, he told us in Germany at my first comp. Not being able to speak German I missed a little bit here and there.

But as soon as I find out what brand of chocolate bar it was......that record is mine rofl

Reactions: naiad
Chocolate bar? Pleeeeease tell me!

I thought nothing could improve my dynamics from their current miserable level, and the answer may be eating more chocolate! rofl

Benny ! I´m shocked ! Didn´t we tell you to keep that a secret ? ;-)

Now everybody is going to run out and buy...well, what do I get if I tell you ?

Holger

Walrus said:
Interesting he went from 6:09 (22.02.2003) to 7:48 (21.02.2004) that's a very big jump in one year specially for static. Usually static gets harder to progress in a few years of training. Until Tom I've never heard of anyone increasing 2 minutes in static in one year of training. If you look at Martin he was actually good at static from the very start. He certainly must have found a very effective way of training.

Wal
Walrus
my dream was to hold my breath till 4:30 ...one day i managed it...i said it is ok! this is the last point that i can do..
latter on... i got some info from bill, tylerz, jome, eric fattah and some idea from tom siatas and other Db.net folks own threads(i read them) i did 3-4 months working for 4:30(tables)...
following 2 weeks directly i did 5:01 2 days later i did 5:30 ..i said it is ok
2-3 week i did no breathhold...just swim in the sea...one (dry) i done at beach to check my 5:30 still in me or not...directly without doing short warm up i did 6:32...my new PB
I hope you do not understand me wrong..i am not talking that i am good at...i only mention that the human body is increable maybe this is coded in our DNA and we taking it out, all people are different and the best trick i think you must know whatt works for you try and try i left tables at 4.30 i did only 3-4 max holds a week to get 5:30(from 4:30-5:30 with long warm up) only 6:32 with short warm up..i will delete lkong warm up from my works...will go on new way i find out any more cos' it works for me now better..i mention the way my last post but honestly talking in water i did not break 3:45min hold(-6m)..i do not know when i take first con ...i am thinking i am gonna SWB ..comes into my brain...
why i give this example here..i still do not believe... jump from 4:30 to 6:32 happened in a month(30 days).
i hope you can understanad what i mean, my english is bla, bla...

Last edited:
Hi Sedate,
In the early stages of training a 2 minute jump is not that uncommon. For example a beginner going from a 2 minute static to 4 minute static doesn't mean their technique has improved, it could be they are just holding their breath longer. ie at 2minutes they gave up and their O2 sat was still at %90+. I was refering more to someone already competing & training close to their limits. What Tom said makes more sense that he was able to get closer to his training results, so comp results got higher.

Cheers,
Wal

Maybe back to the subject:

I think some of the secrets to Tom´s success lie in his dedication and his thoughtful approach. Most of the other freedivers I have met so far (including myself) try this and try that, but Tom seems to give much more thought to what he is doing.

Plus there seems to be a genuine desire to be the Best.

Holger

What ecactly you mean Holger? Can you open a little bi, my idea he is 1:93 long and weight(aaround 75 kg) ..the secter can be that..
you know there is an idiot
''all the time thin-long kano goes best and gives the best performance in the water''
many best swimmers was 1:90-2:00 past and was thin persons..sometimes some shorts can gives smilliar performance ..but rarely

Last edited:
Well,

if that would be the secret I should actually be better off, as I am taller than Tom is :)

What I meant, is that he seems to put more thought in designing an efficient training than other freedivers I have met. Always with the focus on becoming the Best - that sure makes a difference.

As far as the body shape is concerned he told us that he really lost weight to reduce his body mass. More cells need more oxygen.

Holger

I think I can call myself short, cause I'm 1,7m and weight approx 65kg. And I have to say I feel discriminated ;) I'm a pretty good comeptitive swimmer, so my body is rather athletic, and I always knew that thin&long guys have the advantage in freediving (less body cells, and slower hart rate and lower blood pressure). But we have to remember that freediving happens mostly in our minds, and that is most important in a good freediver - competitive mind :]

I think I can call myself short, cause I'm 1,7m and weight approx 65kg. And I have to say I feel discriminated ;) I'm a pretty good comeptitive swimmer, so my body is rather athletic, and I always knew that thin&long guys have the advantage in freediving (less body cells, and slower hart rate and lower blood pressure). But we have to remember that freediving happens mostly in our minds, and that is most important in a good freediver - competitive mind :]

I think you mean thin and TALL, but anyway... I disagree. I believe Martin Stepanek is about your height and he is not too bad!:)

The body shape issue can definitely be over stressed I think.

However, lung size is related to height not girth, so yes, I think there may well be a slight over representation of reasonably tall, elite freedivers.

Guy

The body shape issue can definitely be over stressed I think.

However, lung size is related to height not girth, so yes, I think there may well be a slight over representation of reasonably tall, elite freedivers.

Guy
Heh, you would say that, wouldn't you ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT