• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Training diary for 81m CWNF

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thankyou again to everyone for the support. Yes training has been going very well back in my Blue Hole. One of the local boatbuilders finished making us a custom-built dive platform, which is now anchored in situ. Last night I poured a couple of big lead weights (melted down in the BBQ) to use for ballast.
I won't bore you with too many numbers, but I have been having a lot of fun with the 'crazy rock dives' (VW head-down descent, FI ascent), best so far: 5'13" for a 50m dive (3'40" spent at 50m).
Does anyone who is reading this know of any technical divers operating in the area FL-Bahamas who might be interested in helping out for the attempts. As Mike mentioned I am not a big fan of being 'a frog on a leash' and so if it is possible I would prefer to use scuba for safety rather than counterweight.
Cheers, William.

According to an old diving table I've got here in my Scuba log-book this dive will fall into the following category:

51m being the Maxium dive depth,
5'13" total dive time, that would render it according to these old CMAS rules into the 5-7min bracket, resulting you to fall in repeating dive table D.
If it was a Total dive time less than 5' than you would be in table C.

Now let's see what D and C mean, good exercise this for me, being off scuba for so long :)

If you decide to dive right after the previous 5-7 minute dive to 51m, you'll have to stick to the following dive profile and stops according to my old CMAS schedule (based on the US-NAVY tables) which is based on an acentionspeed of 18m/min.
Here we go, let's see if Will is able to do this in apnea, well let's not...

The 7 minute dive + 8 aditional penalty minutes -for repeating the dive- will be a Total dive time of 15 min. You'll need to make a stop at 6m of two minutes, and 5 minutes at 3m befor surfacing. After this second dive you'll land in category H, meaning your next dive will take 24 minutes, falling pray to 3 stops: 2 min @ 9m , 7' @ 6m, 23' @ 3m :D

As for the nitrogen time to washed out, these tables handle the maximum of 12 hours.

After all this juggleing with these old US-NAVY numbers I get the impression one should not do more than one of these 5min+ dives to 50m a day.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeble will chime in and enlighten us on this pretty unique case.

Personally I have the dream to be able to make a gracefull parabolic kind of dive to 50m, lasting 5 minutes, and also without nothing arround exept the endless blue ocean. Now I'm up to the 50m mark and close to the 3' in dive time, maybe I can get a bit closer to the 5' for a dive this season?

Anyway Will the best of dives, just look at Herbert's 111M CW, persistancy pay's of in the end :)

Love, peace and water,

Kars

Last edited:
Thankyou again to everyone for the support. Yes training has been going very well back in my Blue Hole. One of the local boatbuilders finished making us a custom-built dive platform, which is now anchored in situ. Last night I poured a couple of big lead weights (melted down in the BBQ) to use for ballast.
I won't bore you with too many numbers, but I have been having a lot of fun with the 'crazy rock dives' (VW head-down descent, FI ascent), best so far: 5'13" for a 50m dive (3'40" spent at 50m).
Does anyone who is reading this know of any technical divers operating in the area FL-Bahamas who might be interested in helping out for the attempts. As Mike mentioned I am not a big fan of being 'a frog on a leash' and so if it is possible I would prefer to use scuba for safety rather than counterweight.
Cheers, William.

hi will! do you train this time harder ? or it is only looking so?....because over 5 min in vw= variable weight or what means it?
thx for posting !
good luck!
andi

Will,

Friendly words of free advice from experience:

Fast drop + delayed reduction in cardiac output compared to ambient pressure difference + long bottom time at high ambient pressure => recipe for disaster...don't be fooled by how good it feels! Beware the bends! Not to be taken lightly. (Absence of narcosis is not a pre-requisite)

Seb

Reactions: island_sands
Do you think there is the possibility of DCS from a single freedive to this depth? I do one repitition only - at the most I might do a few CWNF dives to 30-40m, not less than 30' after the hang. I have been doing these sort of schedules for a long time, with no confirmed symptoms of DCS (although I am aware that sub-clinical DCS has very equivocal symptoms).
Cheers, Will.

Under 'normal' circumstances no, but the parameters are hardly normal: fast descent and long hang times. Your aerobic fitness will probably give you some (unquantifiable) protection but certainly on full lungs, I would not rely on it. The worse is when you confidence is sky-high and you get a hit...than the anxiety sets-in.

Seb

Didn't Frank P's brother experience some problems after 30 second hangs at 50m?

I seem to remember Eric Fattah suggested DCS....

Actually I just searched for the thread and there was also some discussion about the dangers of negative dives to 10m. I've got to do one of Seb's courses - if only to understand how the hell F-dives to any depth are possible.

Al

P.S. Hi again everyone!

Reactions: DeepThought
Hi Al

My brother had a sever lung squeeze due to extreme full exhale dives, he experienced some pain in the thorax before the final injury. It's very difficult, at this moment, to know if he also had DCS.

I think that we (freediving community) need a big study on PpN2 after a lot of dives to really have an idea of real N2 saturation. We can't make any statment based on symptosm from few divers or measures made in just a few of elite freedivers.
I think that DCS is the major problem we are facing at this moment.

Good luck Will, all the best from Colombia

Will ,keep us updated on how your training and preparation for your CNF attempt is going.

Hello all, sorry about the lack of news - I am filling the role of organiser for this attempt, so have been flat out.
Training proceeds very well. Since there are other freedivers who will be soon attempting this discipline it isn't really fair to say how deep I have been going. :) The first attempt will probably be on the 10th-11th.

This attempt has only been possible because of huge support from my sponsors, so allow me to thank some of them in advance!
- Extreme Facilities (all sorts of camera solutions and Amphibico housings) http://www.extremefacilities.com
- Reel Divers http://www.reeldivers.com
- Stella Maris http://www.stellamarisresort.com
- Bahamas Best Real Estate http://www.bahamasbestrealestate.com

We are renting out a little office with wi-fi access now, so should be able to upload videos and results when we get them next week.
Keep an eye here...

Reactions: maytag
Hi, Will Nice to hear everything is going well, and you have found such great support.

About your upcomming video(s), it would be nice for the world to know what you were experiencing while you dive to such incredible depths. I was thinking about you narrating the video and explain what you experience as you go advance through various stages of the dive.

Anyway you seem to understand exacly what we grave for, cool dives,stories and images, thanks for providing Will! :friday

Best of luck!

Kars

Last edited:
Dear Billy,

Best of luck for the attempt next week. I hope that all your planning and training is going smoothly. We are all thinking about you!

Sam

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT