• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

UK season is on..or is it?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Flattybasher, your description was spot on. I seemed to forget whatever small experience I have, as I found myself in a position of overexcitement when I first realised these were Bass shoaling near me and I was about to realise what you UK 'bass experienced' spearo's have had for years. For me, casual spearing off the Kwazulu-Natal coast of SA did not pose too much of a problem finding a 'size' fish, or 'CERTAINLY!' a 'size' crayfish.
I equate this to when my brother and I used to always scratch our heads at the technicality of 'rod' fishing over here. A differing experience compared to the greedy guts fish in the Indian Ocean.
Perhaps for me, I can see a little more 'art' and 'patience' in the pursuit here will eventually pay dividends...
:friday

Hello Old Man Dave. Pictures of latest 'fish from the English channel' for your pleasure. Hope your spearing is going well. The fish weighed 12.5lbs and 13.5lbs. In total we had 4 fish for 40lbs!

Attachments

• DSCN0862.JPG
    DSCN0862.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN0863.JPG
    DSCN0863.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Another detailed and highly articulate story of the battle between man and "fish" in the English Channel. Still I suppose a pictures worth a thousand words. I am humbled in admiration and although I may live to regret it I am forced to say "well done". From me there is no higher praise.
Humble Dave. :hmm

Very impressive Dave,the last time i saw that many fish in one place was the sea life centre.Black bream haven't shown up yet in this neck of the woods but will be waiting for them when they do turn up.How deep were they?? were the bass mixed in with them ???

Hello Murat No I took the photo, that is young Lees catch Saturday.the photo in previous post my catch on friday last.If you look in earlier post photos i am the old git with hat on. :)

good hunting

that is some catch, what are you going to do with all the fish? sell at sea side or start your own fish food restaurant..
if you are freezeing your fish, what is the best way to do it? whole fish, or fillet? in a bag?

Good hunting anyway!

Pekka

Hello boys
Not much left after family and friends fill their bags.I freeze fish whole.
The Bass and Bream together.
Sunday caught only my dinner for today, yummy!!
Wind up to force 6 at the moment time for a rest.

Good Hunting :cool:

Attachments

• DSC00141.jpg.jpg
    DSC00141.jpg.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC00140.jpg.jpg
    DSC00140.jpg.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC00137.jpg.jpg
    DSC00137.jpg.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 158
Are you sure your not shooting in an aquarium old dave?? Hopefully that force six may blow some fish my way.Water still full of plankton and i don't think season has started proper at the moment although a 14 lb 10oz bass was caught two weeks ago locally.Water temp has been slow to warm up aswell maybe a factor too. Good hunting

Hello! Hello! I caught a mullet and 3 bass. Hello! Is there anybody there? Oh shit! I give up. I know when I'm beaten. Pity we don't have wrecks full of fish like that over here. Still scenary's nicer here. Plus of course people are friendly and literate.
Envious Dave

Last edited:
Nice fish Old man Dave, and Kev, very nice!.... I'm off to Portugal tomorrow for two weeks, with the wife (leaving my son with his grandparents- nice) and my dive kit. Meeting up with a local ... should be fun fun fun. I'll be back just in time for the first UK national at Bognor - that will be interesting - Algarve one day - Bognor the next... Laters all.
Clive.

It's all happening on "Guernsey summer fishing". Stories, pictures, catch reports, etc. Don't miss it or you'll be sorry.
See you there.
Dave :wave

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT