• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

UK season is on..or is it?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Another shot of Fabio with a nice Guernsey bass....

Last edited:
Good stuff Ed&Co. Youre bringing them in pretty consistently.

Oh yeah bass seem definitely on but wont be able to get wet before the 25th.

What is the viz like at the moment?

Can one get to Guernsey from Plymouth port and on getting there would you need a car to get to the good spots?

Damn am actually thinking about mullet roasted in tomato sauce/herbs/thick sliced onions/coriander and salivating.

Ntrik - visibility has been about 5m to 6m recently but yesterday was about 4m - still not bad though !
Not sure if you can get here from Plymouth ? Might be able to - so mullet taste good roasted ? I see alot but personally prefer the taste of bass.
Did an experiment last weekend - roasted a bass, a mullet, a pollack and a plaice (grilled the plaice quickly) - to compare flavas.

Just a really simple meal with my french friends - seems like everybody prefered the bass and plaice then the mullet and last the pollack.

Are larger mullet better than the smaller ones ?

I don't shoot many mullet but shot a medium/small one and found it tasted a bit 'earthy' ? Not sure how to describe it but not as clean as the bass at any rate.

Cheers
Ed

Ed
Do you bleed all your fish immediately?
Pollock especially benefit greatly from rapid bleeding and gutting.
Whatever is in the stomach in these fish starts to taint the meat very quickly if not gutted.
I always gut the pollock in the water as I think it is another form of ground baiting the area, you never know you may come back to your float and find a lobster or crab feeding on the pollocks guts!

Certainley been a good start to the season, 9 & 1/2lb bass in Sussex caught on Bank holiday Monday. It has a 2lb suid inside but the fish Tasted lovely.

Oh Dear!
Went in today, first time for 2 seasons using the gun and snorkel, now that I’ve retired from commercial flatfishing with the tanks. Mainly went as I’d been “advising” Portinfer based on my 30+ years experience and he was keen on a demo. He slaughtered me. This boy is good. In an exhibition of well rehearsed deeper diving he took 2 fine bass while the old man shot a measly mullet (mostly out of frustration). In my defence I was slightly out of practise after nearly 3 years and I did miss a nice bass on a day when fish were few and far between. Anyway feeble excuse – Ed is the man. :king
I’ve been promising to teach Fabio a lesson when he is over but as I can’t even beat the apprentice – nuff said. :duh
Dave

Charlie, Ed,

fantastic catches!!! Where was that? Really looking forward to coming over again. And really looking forward to going fishing with you, Old Man Dave: it would be a honour to go fishing with you in Guernsey!
Ciao
Fabio

Phew, at last! It took 3 sessions to get rid of the rust but shot 4 bass and 3 mullet today. Sneaked in without Ed. as I was getting paranoid. Very rough conditions, force 5/6 but went to a little sheltered bay I know. Not huge bass, 4-5 lbs but one of the mullet was a 5lb jumbo. Saw a few big wrasse and clean missed 2 shots at other bass (still rusty) plus saw 2 or 3 others. Could have taken a few more mullet but not too greedy. Vis was 10 - 15 ft and fish were in 2 - 6 foot in amonst bootlace weed around the reefs. Nailed first bass at 2 minutes in, in 2 ft depth, from a range of 18 inches with a clean head shot that stoned him. Still got that touch.
Happy hunting to all.
Dave

:king Went with Ed today after work looking for bass. No luck. Saw a few but they were spooky and vis was patchy in the shallows. Tried my luck swimming about 3/4 miles offshore and found a shoal of pollack holding in the tide on the edge of a reef in 7-9 metres depth. Still rusty on the breath hold and got a sqeaky left ear but got 7 fish with 7 shots before the shoal spooked. They didn't break any records but averaged about 2lbs. Perfect eating size. As usual with pollack the big ones are always on the far side of the shoal. Long swim back but feeling fitter every day. The old mans still got it.
Hey guys is this the Ed and Dave show? Are you all armchair spearos? Someone must be catching something in the UK. Chas & Dave, sorry Kev and Dave, any "fish" in the English Channel?
Happy huntin' from the ex armchair old man Dave. :crutch :king

Yeah, took a while for Dave to get back in the sea but he has taken to it like, errr a fish to water...
It was pretty choppy on Thursday - I saw a nice 4/5pound bass in about 2m of water but I was going too fast and it went. Nice to see the purple-silver back in the tago with the odd silver freckle glinting along the back.
Tried heading out to the place where Dave went but the new 'wetsuit policy' (no urinary marination) held me back by 5 mins and then in the chop I lost him.
Found the weed/sand edge with poor visibility but tried a couple of shallow aspettos in 5m and found a shoal of 2 pound bass which I left alone - about 5 or 6 pf them. All on the wrong side of the gun (90 degrees and moving the wrong way... and the Pelagos 100 is a bit slow to track for bass - hence the new gun - WIP).
Got quite choppy and no sign of Dave so I steamed in - saw a beautiful pair of bass of about 5pounds but I was steaming and they spooked pretty fast to say the least.
Oh - saw some pollack too but they looked pretty harrassed so I left them alone :)

Bit rough today (and the weather) so might go tomorrow...
Ed

The Ed and Dave show is now appearing (a-spearing) in "Guernsey summer fishing". Please redirect your attention there. :wave

went diving two weeks ago.. viz 0m... no fish in sight.. I must be in the worst possible spot here in Exeter, everyone else seem to be landing some fish.. I hate the waters here.. all soup no lumps..

Pekka :waterwork

Shore dive, caught 4 bass + 1 mullet. Story and pic's on thred "Guernsey summer fishing".
Dave :wave

I am going Scotland in the month of July for a short week stay, with my buddy and our wives. We come from Malta, v.small Isand in the Med, surrouded by warm crystal clear waters. Obviously I would like to hunt while I am in Scotland. Thus would appreciate if you post tips and hints for us. Remember we come form the Med, thus know nothing about tides, ocean temp (What will it be in July?), type of fish, visibility, laws and regulations (by the way, can we fish in lakes?), good,safe locations to fish. In a nutshell what should we beware of and what should we look for?
Thanks guys.
Don't worry we are greenies(2yrs hunting) so we won't take too much of your fish

Howdy Green
That is abouth the best time of the year for viz. Not too many fish up there but there are Pollock and Flatfish.
I dived commercially up there for Razor Mussels. We used to spend our spare time picking up Scallops, the small queen variety. Look for areas in the mouth of the locks, just outside the main current. White sand with just a film of brown Algea is best. If you want razor mussels look for small 2cm depressions. In the middle will be two small "eyes". Dig your knife in at 45 degrees and immediately when you feel the mussels turn it 90degrees so that it stops the mussels digging in. Then dig it out.
Where are you going? I know the North West around Mallaig pretty well.
If you are in Mallaig definitely ake the ime to visit the aquarium and fish auction.
Cheers Paul

Hi all. Went in yesterday dived wreck Indiana 1.25 miles offshore visibility very dirty four foot ( plankton is still here) aaah! however Eric did manage to get one Bass 1.5 k? and for my efforts shot at two Bream and missed aaah! from four foot ? need glasses! :duh joking apart the fish were very spooky. o for clear water :)

Good hunting Dave

Anybody been in off weymouth or portland lately.Weather and work commitments have kept me out of water for far too long.Will try to go this week weather(wind) permitting ,can,t stop thinking about fresh fish for dinner.Any spearo's out there who have speared out off Port Gaverne as a colleage of mine has just brought a caravan near there and i can use it(for a small fee!!).Pictures on website look good but first hand knowledge is best.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT