• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Vertical blue 2010

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Benny, if you are an administrative clerk, and you were to make such a glaring mistake on a financial report ;) how would your employer deal with you?

I think it shows painfully clear how the quality of reporting reflects the mindset of the editing staff and management today 2010 BC.

Should we keep on gobbling to these media monsters?
Why can we explain to the simplest of people in the pool about the 8 very distinct disciplines, but fail journalists, editors, managers time and time again? Are they with their higher education really that incompetent and disrespectful to the performer, the audience, or have they got their minds focused on other interests?

Do these people have any concept of work ethics, honour?

Sometimes I think some of these really could use a deep Variable Weight experience.

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Congrats!!! Amazing. And congrats to all others of course too for their national and world records - both Wills, Herb, Ryuzo, Guillaume, Walter, Misuzu, Robert, ... this is probably the most amazing competition in many years when not in the whole history of freediving

Last edited:
It's good to see that both Nery, Shinomiya, Trubridge and Mullins are getting closer to Stepanek and Nitsch in CW. It gets even more interesting when there are more real contenders for the first prize in this classic discipline. Mullins did a great dive today, and are "only" 7 meters short of a new World Record. It would be very interesting to hear Dave's own assessment of his dive today, especially in terms of eq. and narcosis (no tag?).

Congratulations to all the divers with awesome results and especially Trubridge with his World Records and very deep dives in all three disciplines while hosting/organizing the comp at the same time. :wave

I agree - very interested to hear about the tag - possibly stolen by Tarpon?
Great dive, tag or not.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Ironically, the 100m was a horribly executed dive compared to the 90m a few days earlier. I was barely able to pack at all (!!) due to low blood pressure (started with probably 2L less than full), didn't streamline properly during the sink phase, wasted 5-6 seconds trying to find the tag in the blackness, and my legs have fallen out of shape after a month in the bahamas with no strength training -- legs failed 4-5 times on the way up. The dive was 3'21", way over the estimated 3'10", although I didn't feel close to a samba at all. Interestingly, the 72.1m FRC dive I did last year at VB 2009 was IMMENSELY more difficult. In fact when comparing a 100m dive on an inhale, it feels like a 56m FRC dive with way more narcosis...

I set myself a goal of doing 100m in constant weight in September 2000, when the record was still 81m, and 100m was considered impossible. Finally 10 years later I did it, so that was pretty awesome.

Guillaume made an awesome PB of 115m, and Ryuzo shocked everyone by pulling off 115m as well; considering he has had a wall of equalizing failure at 105-107m for years, he somehow pulled it off, though he said he got scared, bolted up, and got some squeeze as well.

Mullins also had an incredible 118m with no equalizing problems, though he couldn't find the tag -- he certainly had 125m+ in him today and said so himself, so it could have a been a world record in slightly different circumstances.

Herbert did not dive because there was a shortage of oxygen and he was worried about a DCS problem from 130m.

Trygon (Herbert's sponsor) has invented an INCREDIBLE new nose clip which blows everything out of the water. It is made of metal and is a MUST have and makes other nose clips obsolete.

Alfredo had arguably the most successful '1st comp' of any athlete, obliterating all the Mexican records with ease. I think we will see him jump into the top ranks soon.

Rob King and Will Winram also had a good comp with several national records...

Great Effort Eric, it's nice too see such a pleasing VB experience for you. Huge congrats to the other divers and the VB team too for a great event. Roll on VB2011

Reactions: kelp princess
Pretty big day all right. Would have been interesting to see Will go for 100, pity about his noseclip.

I got my equalising right, finally. Kept tubes open with constant pressure rather than discrete muscle contractions - the moderate pressure wasn't enough to overcome my larynx so I didn't lose air. Equalised to 118m fine and could have gone past 120. At least now I know what to do.

I didn't feel narked on the bottom but probably was a bit. I spent 4 seconds searching for the tags, which I did by running my hand in a circle around the baseplate. Couldn't find any, however as I started up I looked down and saw one hanging off the side of the plate. Didn't want a replay of my last dive at VB108 so I resisted the urge to go back and get it.

Felt fine on the surface, did the protocol and immediately started complaining to Will about the tag situation :)

Thanks for the good wishes.

Ironically, the 100m was a horribly executed dive compared to the 90m a few days earlier. I was barely able to pack at all (!!) due to low blood pressure (started with probably 2L less than full), didn't streamline properly during the sink phase, wasted 5-6 seconds trying to find the tag in the blackness, and my legs have fallen out of shape after a month in the bahamas with no strength training -- legs failed 4-5 times on the way up. The dive was 3'21", way over the estimated 3'10", although I didn't feel close to a samba at all. Interestingly, the 72.1m FRC dive I did last year at VB 2009 was IMMENSELY more difficult. In fact when comparing a 100m dive on an inhale, it feels like a 56m FRC dive with way more narcosis...

I set myself a goal of doing 100m in constant weight in September 2000, when the record was still 81m, and 100m was considered impossible. Finally 10 years later I did it, so that was pretty awesome.

Eric,

despite the fact that I don't agree with You on many levels and Your offensive posts are often irritating I must say that working for anything for 10 years is quite inspirational. And watching it finally pay off is even cooler.
Big congrats here

Reactions: kelp princess
I didn't feel narked on the bottom but probably was a bit. I spent 4 seconds searching for the tags, which I did by running my hand in a circle around the baseplate. Couldn't find any, however as I started up I looked down and saw one hanging off the side of the plate. Didn't want a replay of my last dive at VB108 so I resisted the urge to go back and get it...

What a pitty Dave, after all you at least know how to equalise and can dive deeper next time :). Rules sucks some times :rcard.

I try your way of esualising. Still stuck at 80-83m and can't eqalise, thanks for your description :).

this is probably the most amazing competition in many years when not in the whole history of freediving
Apples and oranges?

I love the format of VB, where athletes that travel half of the world have no pressure to give it all out in one dive and can build up their performances. But it's "normal" to expect lots of high announcements and records, when people have up to 9 attempts, can drop one attempt if it's not just right and save it for the next, etc. Athletes simply cannot afford to do that at a regular competition.

Reversely, I notice that almost nobody cared to compete in all 3 disciplines and actually regard VB as a "competition" to be won.

At least now I know what to do.

I spent 4 seconds searching for the tags

Great to know that you are out there with the best to push the CWT records Dave (I never doubted it), and interesting eq. strategy. At which point do you start applying constant pressure?

About the tags, this happened to other before you (Guillaume?), so maybe it's a point to be improved in the future. Why black tags? At least in the videos, it seemed there was a bottom light, wasn't it bright enough?

hey does anyone know what happened to our aussie champ wal steyn??? I hope he hasnt blown eardrums out or something, hasnt dived for last few days???

Congrats Dave! funny you've started eqing that way i only started working that way about a month ago, using normal frenzel till about half way through my dive then mouthfilling and holding the EQ to the plate, not quite as deep as your diving but has made it much easier!

Congrats mate! next step 126m ;)

DD

Wow, huge congrats to all that competed. Some truly awesome results.

The bottom plate was opaque, the tags were black, and the tags hung BELOW the bottom plate. The light shines in your eyes. It is dark everywhere except the blinding light in your eyes. Even with good fluid goggles, you cannot see ANYTHING except the light shining in your eyes. The only possible way to find a tag was to spend forever feeling around blindly, below the plate. I spent 8 seconds on the bottom on my 100m dive.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT