• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Vote to Ban Spearfishing in Wisconsin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Crap, I hit "post" before I meant to- freakin' buttons on an iPad screwing me up. ;)

My second point,was that maybe we should all put forth questions to be added to next year's ballot. I would
It forth that we open up spearfishing of any kind to anyone with a standard fishing license so long as they don't go over the daily bag limit. If we attack it like they did the dove hunt, wolf hunt, and crane hunt I think we might have a shot- no pun intended. With the states now allowing all kinds of areas to be opened up for hunting that were closed in the past, I don't understand how they want to role back our rights on this one issue. If we pronounce that everyone in the state should be allowed to spearfish, like the native Americans, I think we might get further ahead instead of trying to reason with people who go off of gut instinct and resist the facts in front of them. Add something into the question how this would improve tourism, commerce ( think of all those bows and spearguns they could sell) , and license sales and we might have a winner.

What we need to do is come up with a short statement that multiple people can submit for next year's ballot. Something like:
"I vote to open up ALL Wisconsin waters to ALL types of spearing for ALL races".
This would be short, easily copied, and get everyone riled up that there's something their not allowed to do that they should be allowed to do. It's kind of cheesy, but this is Wisconsin. I'm sure that Ted, or someone else, could come up with a better question, but it needs to be short and we need to get a bunch of people to submit it from different parts of the state. We could always add in how people in South Dakota get to spear gamefish, or similar stories, but brevity is the key. Adding in bow hunters to our cause only makes it easier for everyone else to say "yes" to us instead of shutting us down.

Just my $0.02

Jon

OK, some good news- I think.

I just talked to a neighbor of mine who happens to work in the fisheries department of the DNR. They said that they haven't heard a thing about this downtown. Just because a bunch of cranky old guys decided to put this on a ballot means Anything if the DNR doesn't want to act upon it.
They also said that the DNR doesn't make a habit out of outlawing an activity that's been legal for years. The only way they even consider such an action is if there is data to support such a ban. Since there are so darn few of us out there, there simply is NO data to back it up- which should put us in the clear. At least that's what they thought without knowing anything about it. They then went on to reiterate that no one at the State is pushing for this, and probably very few even know about it.

They also mentioned that just because it was on an advisory ballot this year, don't worry about it coming up for any serious action until 2015 at the earliest. If this thing gets pushed through the ranks then we should all try and pack the committee hearings on 2015.

Now, that makes me feel like going out and spearing my "10 carp" tomorrow. ;)

Jon

So there is still some time for an PR offensive?

Better get those camera's out and pose with native Americans, children, handicapped, elderly, politicians, the queen, Elvis, Tiger Woods, etc.

Glad to hear it might not be as bad as some thought.

But I want to repeat my comments from before... I remember there used to be an older guy on here who repeatedly warned all of us about how outnumbered we are and that if enough hook & line fishermen got ticked off at us they would have the politcal power to shut down underwater spearfishing.

I just would remind everyone to be a good sportman and a decent human being. DON'T show off when you've had a good day, but meanwhile the hook and liners are fighting with fish "lockjaw". Only take fish that you are going to responsiby use. Help clean up the lake bottom. Give the fisherman information that they can use.

I love spearfishing and am not ashamed of what we do... but I just don't think holding up a stringer full of jumbo fish (whether in person or on the internet) sends the right message..... I think we've all seen what it can do. It isn't fair, but it is the way it is.

~humbly submitted for your consideration..
bglaeser

Just because a bunch of cranky old guys decided to put this on a ballot means Anything if the DNR doesn't want to act upon it.

They also said that the DNR doesn't make a habit out of outlawing an activity that's been legal for years.

That's my take on it, too. Anyone can put a question up for vote, but that doesn't necessarily mean the DNR will act to turn that vote into law. However, this is the first step for a possibly more organized effort in the future. In other words, the world isn't ending now, but we should keep on our toes.

How long ago was panfish spearing legalized? I know it wasn't legal when I was in high school, and I just happened across the change a few years ago.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT