• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Vote to Ban Spearfishing in Wisconsin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
From what I could find on line it looks like we have about 2 million licensed fisherman in the state- including license sold to people from out of state as well. This doesn't take not account the number of people who fish without a license- like anyone under 16 out fishing with their parents.

It might be good to emphasize those numbers. It would put some perspective on the issue. Eliminating fifty spearos when there are two million hook and line fishermen seems a bit petty.

It will show the irrationality undeniably.

Actually I think the fellow fishermen I think should realize that in the near future all will be forbidden to hunt and gather. In fact it's already forbidden, as demonstrated by the fact that you need to buy a license or face punishment, death or become the hunted. A license is a paid for permission to do something that is forbidden for normal citizens.

But be careful with rationality in politics. For there are many believers, who will feel threatened by your sword of truth cutting through their matrix of illusions.
I'm sure we have all encountered such situations of great discomfort, where we out of panic engulf our teacher with sophism's, fleeing into our deepest, oldest, dearest illusions.

Maybe it's just a part of growing, but I fear humanity needs either a more courageous memory or more moving lessons before we feel it's inevitable to think about possibilities we in the past choose not to consider, we could not even see. I dare you all to think, and to examine your deepest believes for consistency, evidence and contradictions. Truth is simple and elegant and does not need constant reinforcements.

I better shut up here before I start wearing a black rope and speaking Latin, mumbling something about Romans 13. But I suspect that's the old age version of product placement by the state.

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

All we can do is make efforts to let our Voices be heard and express our concerns with facts. If POLITICS does play a big part of this, our actions will be obsolete.

Spearfishing in Wisconsin is a mere sliver in the huge spectrum of the fishing world. But appearently we've made a splash and brought attention to ourselves. I have a feeling that it is from one of the many "guests" that I see peering at our Wisconsin Forums. IF we survive this I have a strategy for future posts. That strategy is to do what every Hook and Line fisherman does......... LIE. For example: If I shoot 10 Bluegills, my actual post will say "Had a good day and shot 10 Carp". If I shoot 5 bluegills, 4 perch, 10 crappies, my actual post will say "Had a good day and shot 10 Carp". If I go to lake Michigan and shoot 5 Jumbo Perch, my actual post will say "Had a good day and shot 10 Carp."

I will still post actual lake reports with water conditions. I won't post pics of my Stringers only Live Fish. I will post ACTUAL/REAL pics on my Google+ and Facebook Accounts. Those are blocked from the Public. If you are interested in these pics search for me on those accounts.

"Lairs are murderers of truth."

Though it is tempting. I've done it too many times, to others, to myself. Motivated often by fear of punishment, and sometimes by self interest. And God know I'll do some more in the future.

In regard to writing about spearfishing, I suggest careful consideration of the chosen words. Take the word 'shooting', to me it sounds and feels like evil. The words 'catching' and 'securing' sound much more neutral, even positive. Listen for examples to the army, who have sanitised their jargon of their dirty business rather craftily.

Are spearfishers more vocal about their catch?
Actually maybe also the presentation of the sport, through heavy metal, heavy house, kinky dress, big guns is also alienating the regular folk, triggering to think spearfishermen are a bunch of very successful ubermacho, indiscriminate killers. But with some politicians will secretly enjoy the predatory attitude, as they enjoy exercising power over the powerless often with sadistic glee.

Scott,

Maybe you can render a small spearfishing instruction video, docu style, brushing up the spearfishermen's image, adding some real numbers like how many hours you need, how much you catch, how much by-catch, what sizes and spices are allowed, how carp is such a destructive fish, how you help biodiversity and clean up the ecosystem, how difficult it is, how demanding it is, how many spearfishermen there are etc.
Add some folk/country/native american music, a soft women's voice over, show a family and BBQ, baking your catch in the sunshine, show yourself educating fellow divers and kids about fish and nature. Show you soft and trusty face, play some cheerful piece on you guitar while you chill out with the family around the campfire. Ah you know, the basic propaganda, PR stuff.
tagline: Spearfishing is a part of life.

It's easy to hate and rob people you don't know.
So, show the humanity of the spearfishermen!

Should I start a PR business?

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Last edited:
How did everyone's meeting go? For me, most people didn't even know we did this and didn't think it was an issue. The people I talked to personally thought it sounded pretty cool and want to try it.

Curious how other counties reacted if any of you went??????

It has been a long time since I've looked on this forum and was sickened to see this post. I realize that I am seeing this one day too late to be at the meeting.

If you were at one of the meetings, how did it go?

I have long felt that spearfishermen need to be discreet after having a "good day". You may be having a good day spearing, and the anglers are having a bad day angling it is easy to see how some can get upset. Never mind that most days they are fishing happily and water conditions are unsuitable for spearfishing.... the one day we have a good day and they a bad one is the day they will remember.

I always keep a bag at the shore so I can take my catch out and quickly discretely put the fish in the bag. When people ask me what I am doing, I tell them I am snorkeling. Most of the fishermen who have figured out what I am doing are happy to get my "underwater fishing reports" and retrieved lures and are happy to see me. But it only takes one or two bad apples to ruin it for us all.

Please consider being discreet!

Last edited:
I went to the Dane County meeting in Middleton. By the time question #76 came up it was almost 10 PM with only about 40 people left in the audience and the DNR panel looking quite bored.

I asked if anyone on the panel had any numbers or statistics on how many Wisconsin divers target panfish. Of course, no one knew. I suggested there were no more than "several dozen" statewide, and that compared with over two million hook-and-line fishermen we knew we didn't stand a chance on this resolution. I asked that the DNR, should they consider making the rule law, only consider science and scientific studies and ignore opinion.

Two of my friends also spoke on our behalf. While sitting in the crowd I glanced around at other ballots that I could see, and everyone had voted against spearing on question 76.

The results are supposed to be posted here today: Conservation Congress Spring Hearings - WDNR

The results are posted at the above link.

Votes yes: 2162 (to prohibit spearing)
Votes no: 1109 (to keep spearing legal)
Counties approving: 66
Counties rejecting: 5
Counties tie vote: 1

Actually, I'm surprise by the numbers - I didn't think we'd get that many "no" votes on prohibiting spearing.

Reactions: Kars
We delivered our message and got a lot of good responses at the Richland County meeting. We were one of the counties that defeated 76, but it's a drop in the bucket. Again, one of the WCC members assures me the law won't go into effect for a few years. My thoughts? Respond with our own unified measure. It might take a few years, and maybe we'll have to settle for carp for a summer or two, but lets try to get it back.

The results are posted at the above link.

Votes yes: 2162 (to prohibit spearing)
Votes no: 1109 (to keep spearing legal)
Counties approving: 66
Counties rejecting: 5
Counties tie vote: 1

Actually, I'm surprise by the numbers - I didn't think we'd get that many "no" votes on prohibiting spearing.

This doesn't mean it will actually take place does it? If LAWS are based on Ignorance and no information, would explain alot about our system.

We'll SETTLE for nothing now and We'll settle for Nothing LATER!! :ko

When you're hungry you will loose the respect for laws.
or,
Law is just an opinion with a gun,
or,
When everything is forbidden, everything is allowed.

This doesn't mean it will actually take place does it? If LAWS are based on Ignorance and no information, would explain alot about our system.

We'll SETTLE for nothing now and We'll settle for Nothing LATER!! :ko

When we finally dare to see, it's painfully obvious the world is run by the bad and the ugly. :rcard

Disappointing, but probably unsurprising result there guys.

Keep on fighting and best of luck.

Can't you claim that you're just a bunch of open water swimmers and that these pan fish are attacking you, you could then claim the second amendment?

It seems like the ignorance of many has won out over the knowledge of the few.

What I think is crazy in this country is that Everything is basically ILLEGAL until you PAY for a license/permit........... then it's O.K.

WE don't need the Government
WE don't need the Justice System
WE don't need Law & Order
This is NOT "The Land of the Free"........ Whoever tells you that is your ENEMY.

Sad day.. But if you want panfish spearing you should start with opposing seat belt law.
Martin Niemöller:
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

So, things don't look to great right now but after looking at that sight it seems that anyone can put forth a question to be on the ballot. I wonder if they publish who puts forth the questions from year to year? I would really like to know who made the stink about divers spearfishing around here. I have a couple of guesses, but it would be nice to see it in print. It would also be nice to know if this was a common question state wide, or just a person, with some pull, who made a big deal out of it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT