• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What's behind your DB nickname?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
nick

well, my name is Rush.
A few years ago I got into a dance-style called Liquid. (quite popular in Canada/US). I spent every day practicing to move my body like a fluid and I'm glad I did coz I feel it has helped me a lot with diving! (My body will be 99% water soon enough)

for clips of Liquid dancing check out theLiquid Pop Collective

peace.

prairies

I,d like to get together and do some spearing . The lake i have a seasonal site at this year has some nice fish but the visibility right now ssucks. However there are some clear lakes between us on the sask side.

A friend gave me this nikname a while back, must have been 7th grade. A group of friends was over playing Marco Polo. Someone asked why I never said "Polo" in reply. My friend Nick said "He's underwater the whole time! Frickin Iron Lung over here..." And so it stuck.

Ike

It's my license plate. My daughter thought of it. I applied at dmv (Hawaii) and couldn't believe that in a state where so many people are now buying Riffe spears and floaters that no one had taken it.

Re: What's behing your DB nickname?

Mine's simple. I barely have any bouyancy to no bouyancy at all. I could sink in the dead sea. Breathing up properly on my back in the water takes more than one foam noodle, or a slightly deflated raft.

It's embarrassing, really. I'm not sure having a diving buddy would make much difference, unless he/she were assigned to attach the emergency crane hook around my waist.

I hunt both above and below the waterline, so Amphibious seemed appropriate - rather uncreative :D

Reactions: BatRay

Well, the general abbreviation for home here is BDA. Since it has a good party scene here, im sure you can fill in the rest.... :friday

Great Thread! Thanks for starting it Pezman.

I actually sympathize with Sinkweight, I sink like a stone. I was taking a Swim Instructor Training course and I almost failed because we were required to float on our back for a minute. If I pack my stomach with air, then full pack my lungs I float vertical with just my nose breaching the water.

My name comes from one of my other hobbies, Locksmithing. Obviously it's impossible to pick locks without tools, and you can't buy tools without a license, so I started to make my own. I would take nails heat them up, hammer them flat, then grind them to the proper size and shape. I got pretty good at it and eventually started selling my picks to Locksmith's in the area. So I became a "Picksmither" or one who "Smith's" Lockpicks.

Till Later..

~James

Edit: Stephan has been kind enough to change my name to "Auquagenic" because "Picksmither" has to do with my previous hobby. The name seems more fitting to freediving, although it actually means "Water Allergy". Which is a presumably rare skin condition that I have called "Aquagenic Pruritus". Believe it or not, I am a freediver that is allergic to water. :) Go figure!

Last edited:

Good thread shame i've only seen it know.Mines to do with work as i couldn't think of anything witty to put when i joined...

sinkweight said:
Mine's simple. I barely have any bouyancy to no bouyancy at all. I could sink in the dead sea. Breathing up properly on my back in the water takes more than one foam noodle, or a slightly deflated raft.
I'm the opposite. It takes an incredible amount of weight to sink me, and packing makes things even more difficult, since I have to do a different kind of packing first, involving several kilos of lead and my kit bag. Without weights, the only way I can sink is with a forced exhale and no suit. When other freedivers see me doing dynamics for the first time, they ask "are you sure you'll be OK with all that weight?" and I have to explain that I always use that much!

Curly-Q said:
It takes an incredible amount of weight to sink me

If we ever do a tandem No Limits, Naiad, we can save money on equipment, and unfasten your weight belt, hold on to your ankle, and you can rocket me back up to the surface.

Then again, with both of our buoyancy problems at hand....we might maintain neutral buoyancy during the whole dive. heh-heh.

Reactions: naiad

Mi name is interesting, someone to do wiv sport but also my career will show what I reely am.

Nice postings.

Got Crusty when i was raceing motocross, I spent more time Crashing than on the Bike so i got ''Crusty Demon'' that got shortened to Crusty.
Gave up M/X up after a few to many broken bones, the mates left but the name stayed.
Now After too many years of Sun, Surf and Diving the old Mug is starting to look a but crusty
Pluss some people say i have a bit of a thick hide ( crust )

Crusty

When I was a young boy /see Scooter :)/ we played a lot on Commodore 64 (if that means anything for you, a so called home computer), in the games the highscore list always had 3 letters names, so I chose Jet (my family name start with J, and 'cause it's so dynamic), then I realised, that it's too common (after watching American Graffity on TV), and changed the last letter to 'e', also out of respect for Bruce Lee. :) Having no obvious meaning is good I think. Then it turned out, that in chinese it means something like 'wise', but it is simply randomous coincidence.

sinkweight said:
If we ever do a tandem No Limits, Naiad, we can save money on equipment, and unfasten your weight belt, hold on to your ankle, and you can rocket me back up to the surface.
The start of a long and illustrious career as an animated lift bag...

Got mine through a couple of things, i used to be utterly mad on a bike and was once or twice been heard (back then) singing Madness songs while in the waiting area before Races(Motocross)so i got the nick of Madness then. after 30 and a bit years of Racing bikes i turned to my parallel passion of Spearfishing, after moving to Cyprus i found that wonderfull fish the GROUPER i love em cant get enough of em and will go to all known depths to get em. Hence GROUPERMADNESS.

The End

Hey,

glowworm said:
Good thread shame i've only seen it know.Mines to do with work as i couldn't think of anything witty to put when i joined...

Are you biologist or you're wasting your time behind a computer monitor as I do? I'm tanned because of something called glowing LCDburn or CRTburn rofl .

Cheers!!!!!

Mine is from a fantasy novel where the giants were called Rockbrothers.
Being a geologist it seems to fit, now I am just looking for a good avatar.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT