• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What's behind your DB nickname?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Well what can I say.

Just a major Shark lover and I have a tattoo on my left shoulder.
when i was in jamaica my dive guide called me sharky and it stuck for the rest of the two weeks i was there:)

Reactions: Adrian
The Story goes……

Formally known as ‘Son of Yeti’ ……

(big, ugly, hairy gene pool!! Who, at the risk of upsetting animal lovers, likes creeping around the mountains hunting. That’s how it started!)

I grew….and grew…..and grew….

and at that age (like ya do!?!) my hair grew…..and grew….and..

until one day I becometh a man!! Hence Yeti

That’s it really and it stuck.

Unlike pops, I do my hunting in the water so am sometimes lovingly referred to by friends (allegedly!) as Aqua-Yeti?! Or when I do something daft …..STUPID F*!!*!*G YETI!!:confused:

.....and many other variations on the theme.

If you go down to the woods today..........:p

:D

Reactions: Alison
Well, I'd like to say that I got mine cause I can tie pieces of my anatomy in knots (wink wink ladies ;)) but I think I'm just f*&%ed up :)

Reactions: DeepThought
Very little imagination involved in mine, I live in a funky little town called Imperial Beach, (which has the dubious honor of being THE most southwestern point in the continental USA-yes there actually is a town squezzed between San Diego and Tijjuana). Boyd is my first name

roan is seal in Irish. When I was a kid, I had an aunt who planted stories like this in my head: our family was descended from a selkie. :hmm
A few years ago, it was a few of the local harbor seals who lured me from snorkeling to dive deeper, so I had to learn to equalize. (efattah's definition of freediving seems apropos).
Today, as a spearo, when sea lions try to nab my catch I've strung onto my torpedo float, I get pissed off and do all I can to stop them. But when my old friends, the harbor seals try to pilfer a meal my heart softens and I'm much less vigilant. ;)

Reactions: Pezman
I got the nickname "Skarz" because a few years back i got a bad case of Shingles, and i've got some nice scars on my belly to prove it. My friends also call me "Prettyboy" because i'm always playing with my shaggy hair.

hi

Mines basic, my last name is ives but my mates called me ivesy and ivan so I stuck with ivan :hmm

cheers

Originally posted by Prairie Puddler
Well i,m living in Saskatchewan witch sits in the middle of the Canadian prairies. Freshwater spearing is fun too.
PP, we (all 5 of us) just spent 4 days spearing up in Cold Lake, with some good results and good memories. Would you care to join us sometime? We have one spearo Guru and the rest of us are newbies.
Maybe sign up @ http://groups.msn.com/altasub and we can get together.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Attachments

• pict0025.jpg
    pict0025.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 401
One more....

Erik Y.

Attachments

• pict0027.jpg
    pict0027.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 381
the on the right looks like a navy seal ready to open a can of whoop-@ss

Hm, my nickname on here is Strplyr. It is short for Starplayer. Um, actually, my Sisters husband help me pick it out, and I liked it. So, I just stuck with it. :)

Another Boring One

Bret Durrett - Naja, can't think up a snazzy new moniker every time I sign up somewhere....

my name is simply who I am. People keep asking me what my real name is but I have been known as Deepest Bear for so many years now, I have forgotten

DB
-122m and counting

Well, it all started when I was trying to get an ebay user name. My last name being saxl it's really not hard to get e-mail addresses, user names and the like. But 'saxl' on ebay was taken, and 'csaxl' 'saxl79' etc etc etc.. So in frustration I abreviated a old school nintendo game my college roomate was playing 'Defender of the crown' hence... defofthecrown. Unfortunaetly the name stuck w/ ebay and it wouldn't let me use a different name w/ my info.

Now it just sounds like I'm stuck following an 80's british rock group.

Reactions: Pezman
Well it started about 4 years ago,I was working a construction job
down in Miami and I put my initials on all my tools/toolboxes and
everyone started calling me AJ .My name is Albert Jackson JR .The
second part I got from surfing(waverider) so I just put the two together.It's funny I read a post here a couple of days ago saying how we are able to be anonymous but you sorta get to know people through their post and what not.I have even talked to a few people on the phone .Some people have even done some spearing/diving together slowly bridging the gap.If everything goes right here I'm going to do an east coast tour up
to S.C then down to Miami maybe even stop in Georgia(Bladerunner) on the way down .I have to admit there is one person that has remained elusive atleast not showing us any pics of the fish she spears, Come on Alison show us some pics:).

Mines easy, just read Roan's explanation. A Selkie is a mystical seal/human, and iceselkie cuz the water's cold up here (i also fantasize about icediving).

I spent six weeks during the summer of 1992 on a staysail schooner, stopping off at various ports along the Canadian Maritimes, learning how to sail a tall ship and doing oceanographic experiments (all onboard the ship, none underwater, unfortunately). It was through a Woods Hole, MA-based organization called the Sea Education Association.

There were five John's on board. There was "Big John," "Little John," etc.

John is my knickname; my name on my birth certificate is Juan.

Hence, Juan-John. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT