• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What's the deepest dive you've done???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Sharkey can you with us your best spear fishing experience? - I love to hear a detailed report, with all your thoughts feelings and emotions.

Thanx for your input sharkey. I have to agree with you. I didn't mean to brag about depth and try to push limits... I totally agree many green spearos push limits and then tragedy usually strikes
I have known too many young keen spearo's that are no longer with us because they were too concerned about depth & times instead of their fishing skills. This is the spearo's section, not the apnea forum if I'm correct? (I stay out of there) Trust me, all the depth that you will need to get fish will come as you practice your fishing skills, not the other way around. Sorry to cast a shadow over this subject for all you good keen spearo's, but fishing skills are more important than how deep you can dive. Depth will come naturally & will also vary from day to day depending on your health & attitude. In my own circle its considered bad form or etiquette to openly discuss depth or times, particularly to inexperienced or impressionable divers. Spearo's chase fish, not depth or the stopwatch, IMO some of the greatest fish ever landed have been taken in very shallow water.

Safe Fishing!

Cheers Sharkey

Hi there sharkey. Thank you for you input. I wasn't trying to encourage green spearos to push limits. It was just for interests sake. I see the safety issue you mention and I agree. I beleive experience is the best teacher not knowledge.

All the fish I0ve shot were in less than 10m of water. So I agree wit hshallow spearing

For all the new spearos and divers like myself, NEVER PUSH YOUR LIMITS, and always dive with a buddy.

Keep it safe. Happy shooting big fish in shallow water. Happy spearing guys.

Thanx again sharkey

i think depth is important for both spearos and anapests. i started out as a spearo (young and reckless) not giving much thought to anything. after doing my first few freedive course there was a definite change in me and reaching new depths is now a part of my training. if your in a safe environment, you have the proper training and with buddies you trust the i say go for it. if everyone was conservatively diving in the shallows we (the human race) wouldnt have reached the staggering depths that the greats of our sport have now reached.

No spearfisher man has taking the bait to join in and share us one of their best stories, I'm lying in aspettio, but eventually I have to go up guys ;)

Reactions: charlie.
Kars do you always "bait" folks?
Unlike some cultures we have a self deprecating humour down here. Blowing ones own trumpet, such as bragging about achievements to much, is frowned upon. Its not just breath hold times & depth, although this would be the most unacceptable topic to brag about to "silver beard" (I like that!) spearo's down here.

I have already replied to our keen young mates thread on this very topic, & am more than willing to participate in future discussions & topics, particularly if it is of interest to other spearo's & not just to "blow my own trumpet". I would prefer to remain understated in regards to my spearfishing, but I'm sure you have many exciting moments yourself, that we all need to hear about.

Stay Safe
Sharkey

Edit, Feel free to read & also add to young mates thread on favourite catches & funny stories.

Last edited:
Well Sharkey I feel that my mentioning of a few numbers has put you off. I'm not bragging, just illustrating the situation helping the reader into the story. You can know this because wrote about a very shallow water experience, sharing my sensations and surprises there.

I could also share a story about a dive through an underwater cave underneath the Isla des Medas in Spain, or a dive in a German quarry, or one in Belgium.

Sharkey relax, I was merely asking for 1 interesting story, just adding a bit of light humour - or so I intended.

Why do we need to get so sensitive about what we share about our most memorable dives?​

If Umberto or Dave shared a story that exceeded my abilities, would that ruin my personal fond memories? No, my memories are the best I have, the only ones I have, and I celebrate, cherish and share them as a gift. If you think they are cool, know that with a lot of (secured) experimentation and time you'll gather your own set of unique ones, and you can enjoy until the end. Just relax and enjoy the glide.

Why do we need to get so sensitive about what we share about our most memorable dives?​

I look forward to reading about "memorable" dives, its just as I have explained, I get a cold shiver when depth & times are discussed with spearfishing, particularly around keen young divers. In my own culture/clique we understate our own depth & times & concentrate on fishing skills. This worked well for almost 3 decades until the "extreme" sport craze started in the mid to late 90's "apnea" exponents started to promote "themselves" down here & we started loosing some of our best young people again.

If anyone wishes to pursue apnea then more power to you, however when one is spearfishing we don't have the supervision & control that your discipline does & IMO your "sport" encourages one to push their limits, not stay safely within them. Am I wrong? Is the challenge not to dive deeper & longer? Whereas in spearing its more about catching dinner, catching a cryptic species, a different species, or improving on the largest kingfish, bass, etc that you have previously speared. Plus, its still fishing/hunting & the outcome is never predetermined.

I wouldn't wish it for any spearo that their most "memorable dive" is the one that they lost (or found) a buddy.

Yes unfortunately I am biased against "apnea" as a discipline, particularly when it starts to encroach on & effect spearo's safety record (IMO it's undeniable the increased deaths down here are related to the increased interest in apnea). Experience has made me biased.

No hard feelings my friend & please remain safe.
Cheers Sharkey

Ok, I think it's not the proper thread to start about safety, but I feel the need to share my view to improve safety.
If the goal is to do something safer, practice in a safe environment is needed. In order to understand one's own limits, to calibrate one's sensations in order to have a better grasp of one's time left, one has to experience those limits. I'm not advocating BO's in any way, but having the experience of a small samba I think is helpful. - YES this sounds very controversial, and maybe it is. Just consider how people learn to ride a motorcycle, another dangerous hobby. They learn to break really hard, even on dirt. It is not likely they'll use that day to day, but when the day comes they know how to.

In regard to sharing numbers. Yes curious, dumb and young people are drawn to those, and always will be, weather you look or not, they'll seek their limit's because it's part of being adolescent and curious. We can hide and ignore this 'game' in the hope that fewer will discover it, so less people become victims, or be empathetic and supportive providing wisdom and security so new divers can safely discover their limits as well as learn to appreciate all the other beauties of diving and hunting. That said, I believe under water hunting is more complex and challenging, because you need to keep track of your numbers (time and distance to the surface), as well as the hunting. People need to learn to keep their focus split, so one does not forget to feel the alarm to go up in time.

30 Years ago hyperventilation was considered an expert technique, now every course explains elaborately about they dangers of this.
Still some die, but you have to ask why. If it is because they did not know better, then you cannot say ignorance is bliss.

To return to the subject, I believe freediving is about the sensations ranging from spiritual to being better then the rest. Spearfishing I believe is about the process of landing a fish, and please PLEASE correct me when I'm wrong.
I love to hear both stories.

Maybe Mosspearer needs to start a new thread, with a different question?

Reactions: xristos
I look forward to reading about "memorable" dives, its just as I have explained, I get a cold shiver when depth & times are discussed with spearfishing, particularly around keen young divers. In my own culture/clique we understate our own depth & times & concentrate on fishing skills. This worked well for almost 3 decades until the "extreme" sport craze started in the mid to late 90's "apnea" exponents started to promote "themselves" down here & we started loosing some of our best young people again.

If anyone wishes to pursue apnea then more power to you, however when one is spearfishing we don't have the supervision & control that your discipline does & IMO your "sport" encourages one to push their limits, not stay safely within them. Am I wrong? Is the challenge not to dive deeper & longer? Whereas in spearing its more about catching dinner, catching a cryptic species, a different species, or improving on the largest kingfish, bass, etc that you have previously speared. Plus, its still fishing/hunting & the outcome is never predetermined.

I wouldn't wish it for any spearo that their most "memorable dive" is the one that they lost (or found) a buddy.

Yes unfortunately I am biased against "apnea" as a discipline, particularly when it starts to encroach on & effect spearo's safety record (IMO it's undeniable the increased deaths down here are related to the increased interest in apnea). Experience has made me biased.

No hard feelings my friend & please remain safe.
Cheers Sharkey

Morning/afternoon Sharkey,

Greybeard indeed! You've done well to stay safe across multiple decades, so big respect for that. And I must say couldn't suppress a chuckle when I came across another post of yours skimming across your training and dietary regime. You've clearly found a formula and philosophy that works for you, and that's what it's all about, isn't it? Self knowledge is the first line of defence against risk. But I wonder if you are aware of the inherent irony in your comment about 'numbers'. Based on what I see, hear and read spearing is all about numbers - either in inches, pounds, centimetres or kilograms - with a bit of depth and time thrown in. The record clearly indicates that more spearos die overstaying their welcome trying to yank fish out of holes or chasing a trophy too long than any depth-related risk. And in the Med, where all the fish have been harvested, the only option spearos have is to train for depth & time or else there's no point getting in the water. I'll leave this thread now but but I'd like to see this 'us & them' divide fade so that everyone can dive safer and the only way to do that is to share experiences without summary rejection of another apporiach. The truth lies in the middle, where the scientific evidence resides. Cheers & happy hunting

Ok, I think it's not the proper thread to start about safety, but I feel the need to share my view to improve safety.
If the goal is to do something safer, practice in a safe environment is needed. In order to understand one's own limits, to calibrate one's sensations in order to have a better grasp of one's time left, one has to experience those limits. I'm not advocating BO's in any way, but having the experience of a small samba I think is helpful. - YES this sounds very controversial, and maybe it is. Just consider how people learn to ride a motorcycle, another dangerous hobby. They learn to break really hard, even on dirt. It is not likely they'll use that day to day, but when the day comes they know how to.

In regard to sharing numbers. Yes curious, dumb and young people are drawn to those, and always will be, weather you look or not, they'll seek their limit's because it's part of being adolescent and curious. We can hide and ignore this 'game' in the hope that fewer will discover it, so less people become victims, or be empathetic and supportive providing wisdom and security so new divers can safely discover their limits as well as learn to appreciate all the other beauties of diving and hunting. That said, I believe under water hunting is more complex and challenging, because you need to keep track of your numbers (time and distance to the surface), as well as the hunting. People need to learn to keep their focus split, so one does not forget to feel the alarm to go up in time.

30 Years ago hyperventilation was considered an expert technique, now every course explains elaborately about they dangers of this.
Still some die, but you have to ask why. If it is because they did not know better, then you cannot say ignorance is bliss.

To return to the subject, I believe freediving is about the sensations ranging from spiritual to being better then the rest. Spearfishing I believe is about the process of landing a fish, and please PLEASE correct me when I'm wrong.
I love to hear both stories.

Maybe Mosspearer needs to start a new thread, with a different question?
Hi there. Thanx a lot for your input. What do you suggest I create another thread about? Safety? I'm not completely sure...

I agree there's a big safety issue especially among the young ''green spearo's'' like myself. I would like it if people share their favourite stories. I created another thread some time ago about favourite spearing stories.

I should probably have thought about safety concerns when ''bragging'' about your depth records etc. This wasn't my intention at all.

Sorry if I came across wrongly.

And as for sharkey. HAts off for staying safe all these years. I totally agree that one shouldn't put your limits to the test. Time and age are the best teachers. Knowledge that you ''acquired'' from just reading about this fantastic sport isn't enough.

You should teach yourself slowly and gradually you'll improve naturally. LIke myself. I started off when I was about 7 or 8. Couldn't dive deeper than 3m. BEst breath holding time was 1:20 mins. Now 8 years later I've improved a loooottt(I'd rather not say my PB breath hold due to sensitivity of this).

Like I said before experience you yourself gained, not just knowledge, is the best way to dive and fish safely. You can have all the info there is to spearing/apnea and be a fool... Just like a doctor who smokes. He knows it's bad but still does it...

Deep respect to all out there and for their opinions too. Each one seems to have a ''technique'' that works for him. Lets always be safe guys. NEVER PUSH LIMITS AND DIVE SAFE AND WITH A BUDDY..

CHeers to all

Reactions: sharkey
My best ever dive was through an arch in Ibiza at about 10meters. The arch (more of a cave) was about 4 meters long It was an exhilarating feeling knowing I couldn't just come up but had to get to the end. We spent a whole day there with three of us buddying for each other.

My PB is around 22 meters although i'm not too fussed about depth and more keen on staying longer at my comfortable depth of around 10m.

My best static is 4:20

My best ever dive was through an arch in Ibiza at about 10meters. The arch (more of a cave) was about 4 meters long It was an exhilarating feeling knowing I couldn't just come up but had to get to the end. We spent a whole day there with three of us buddying for each other.

My PB is around 22 meters although i'm not too fussed about depth and more keen on staying longer at my comfortable depth of around 10m.

My best static is 4:20
Glad to hear you were buddying each other! Nicely done mate

I have had a Broomtail stuck under a rock at 49-50m 2 weeks ago :)
Got it out eventually, but I would not want to shoot a second one as deep at the moment :)
That's deeeeppp!!!! CRazy. I'd probably never get to that deep. But seems your comfortable with that depth. My comfortable depth is +- 15m.

Cherio mate.

Hi sharkey. Do you mind sharing one of your spearo stories with perhaps? Without mentioning figures of course. Just for the spirit of comradeship.. If not it's totally cool.

Thanx

Reactions: Kars
Thanx! That is a safe depth. STay that way buddy!

Yeah, I've never really done anything before, but swim quite a bit. Don't want to push my luck so currently just venturing around the shallows where I know I'm OK.

Nice to hear what some others have been able to do though, hope you get some more posts in this thread. :)

--
Jeff
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MozSpearer
Hi sharkey. Do you mind sharing one of your spearo stories with perhaps? Without mentioning figures of course. Just for the spirit of comradeship.. If not it's totally cool.

Thanx

For you young mate, of course.
There is another story on your other thread.

All the best!
Sharkey

Reactions: MozSpearer
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT